SOT: Have I got no news for you

Old June 12th 19, 11:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_3_]

Default SOT: Have I got no news for you

On 11/06/2019 15:56, Alex wrote:

"Java Jive" wrote in message

On 11/06/2019 12:23, Alex wrote:

a European economic
community, not a political union. The two are quite different.

How are they different? I'm not being perverse here, I'm trying to
get you to think ...

So you are implying that I don't think - I find this rather ironic.

Well, you didn't answer the question, so in that particular case you
obviously didn't bother to think, and it seems justifiable to ask you
again to do so. How are economic and political unions different?

"In a radio address in March 1943, with war still raging, Britain's
leader Sir Winston Churchill spoke warmly of "restoring the true
greatness of Europe" once victory had been achieved, and mused on
the post-war creation of a "Council of Europe" which would bring the
European nations together to build peace.

The "Council of Europe" is a separate entity to the EU, and one which
the UK will remain a member of after Brexit.

The paragraphs above and below were meant to to be read together, and
make the point that the thrust of politic talk at the time was for
political as well as economic union - Human Rights are a political
issue more than they are an economic one.

Preliminary (1945-57)

After World War II, European integration was seen as an antidote to
the extreme nationalism which had devastated the continent.[42] In a
speech delivered on 19 September 1946 at the University of Zürich,
Switzerland, Winston Churchill went further and advocated the
emergence of a United States of Europe.[43]"

This is another example of the absurd "because of what the Nazis did"
justification for globalism, which I criticized in an earlier post.

Again, you are ignoring, I think deliberately, the point that Britain's
most iconic leader of modern times was advocating a "United States of
Europe".

The point about the 1975 referendum, is that the voters believed they
were only voting to join an economic community with nothing more,
based on the way in which the vote was presented to them at the time,
so any subsequent debate as to whether such a scenario is feasible in
practice, is moot. Any historical comments made by former politicians
about European "super states" are also not relevant, since the people
were not asked to vote on that in 1975.

Again, as others need to do, read this, which demonstrates that
sovereignty as the EEC developed politically into the future was a major
issue in the accession debate, as in fact it continued to be until the
referendum.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/...new-what-we-w/

I suggest you re-acquaint yourself with how democracy is supposed to
work.

Democracy is supposed to work by voters acquainting themselves with the
issues of the day, so that they can vote intelligently and effectively,
at the time of 1975 referendum it seems that you and some others didn't
do so.