SOT: Have I got no news for you

Old June 13th 19, 12:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY[_2_]

Default SOT: Have I got no news for you

"Java Jive" wrote in message
On 11/06/2019 15:17, Jeff Gaines wrote:

On 11/06/2019 in message Java Jive wrote:

This is exactly the sort of unsubstantiated crap that currently bedevils
public debate in this country. If you can justify this claim with any
sort of provenance, feel free to do so, otherwise don't make wild school
playground style claims that you cannot prove.

It's based on what I was told when I voted in 1974 or whenever it was and
what has happened since.

I can only suppose that you didn't inform yourself very well at the time,
as I understood exactly what I was voting for. See the Torygraph article
quoting the Hansard accession debate that I've linked elsewhere.

Interesting to read the
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/...new-what-we-w/
article. It suggests that sovereignty *was* an issue that was being
discussed in the Commons. When did radio broadcasting of Commons proceedings
being? I wonder whether the public was as aware of what was being discussed
as they are now with quotes on the News and on the Parliamentary Channel?
Was there as much pro and anti briefing before the 1974 referendum as there
was before the 2016 one?

Evidently people like you were aware of the issue of sovereignty, and voted
accordingly, but I wonder whether you were in the minority of voters who
knew that they were voting for anything more than simply continued
membership of the EEC as a trading alliance.

It is a great shame that when the Maastricht and Amsterdam treaties were
being voted on by member countries' parliaments in the early 1990s, the UK
public weren't given a chance to indicate their own feelings, as opposed
those of the MPs that are supposed to represent them. I remember at the
time, none of the main parties (Con, Lab, Lib) were opposed to the
Maastricht changes, so it was difficult for the electorate to vote at
general election for party that *was* opposed to the changes.

I still don't know why it *seems* that we in the UK are more concerned about
a United States of Europe, immigration, loss of sovereignty, etc than other
EU countries' electorates. I say "seems" because maybe such concerns *are*
apparent but don't get much reporting elsewhere. Presumably the fact that we
do not share a land border with mainland Europe means that we have always
been more insular in our attitudes.

Old June 13th 19, 01:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin[_3_]

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on June 27, 2019.

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 12:14:57 +0100, "NY" wrote:

"Java Jive" wrote in message
[...]

In NL the majority of the population see that the benefits of the EU outweigh
the negatives.

Presumably the fact that we
do not share a land border with mainland Europe means that we have always
been more insular in our attitudes.

Leading up to the last referendum it was very clear from the TV discussions that
very few including politicians hadn't a clue how the EU works and how to benefit
from it. Where's all the new motorways in the North of UK that only needed 50%
UK financing to be built?
--

Martin in Zuid Holland