Has your electricals been recalled?

Old June 13th 19, 06:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected][_3_]

Default Has your electricals been recalled?

On 13/06/2019 08:56, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
The thread about "Crackly fizzy (mechanical ?) noise from TV ?" has
prompted me to look this up.

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...oduct-recalls/

"The average success rate of an electrical product recall in the UK is
just 10-20%, this means that there are potentially millions of recalled
electrical items still in the UK"

Lots of things.

e.g.

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...ck-wiring-kit/

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...untary-recall/
Old June 13th 19, 07:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

[email protected] wrote:

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...untary-recall/

Isn't that about the third fluke recall of a model that was
recalled/replaced, of a model that was recalled/replaced?

Old June 13th 19, 07:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
The Natural Philosopher[_2_]

On 13/06/2019 11:29, Woody wrote:
On Thu 13/06/2019 08:56, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
The thread about "Crackly fizzy (mechanical ?) noise from TV ?" has
prompted me to look this up.

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...oduct-recalls/

"The average success rate of an electrical product recall in the UK is
just 10-20%, this means that there are potentially millions of
recalled electrical items still in the UK"

Lots of things.

e.g.

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...ck-wiring-kit/

Looks like a bit of non-understanding panic here. Since when has it been
possible to get a shock off 12V - for which these connectors are intended?

Always possible. As anyone who has worked on car ignition systems will
tell you.

I got my first tinmgle of an unerathed heatyer and my first schock off
my 12v Train transformer.

It was connected to a stalled meccano electric motor and I broke the
contact with two hands

--
"First, find out who are the people you can not criticise. They are your
oppressors."
Old June 14th 19, 08:00 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes this has always been an issue. I suspect that now with data protection
nothing is going to get done. I'd have thought that in the grand scheme of
things somebody, somewhere has details of what you bought, and if it was
just a case of every retailer sharing this with the makers apart from second
hand sales and some other omissions, it should be possible to track them all
down.
I was talking to a friend of mine who nearly had a fire due to a tumble
dryers internal insulation shedding and catching fire. What had occurred was
that she had a new kitchen fitted and it was put in as part of the job. The
fact is that the supplier had obviously been recorded as the owner but had
not bothered to either keep records of who had which model or simply had no
idea.

As always, sadly its only when something happens that you find this stuff
out.

Back in my days with a TV maker, we also rented other makes as well as our
own, It was kept quiet, but one maker Bush of the very early colour tvs
could have a fault which meant that high power Xrays were generated by one
valve and fired through the bottom of the cabinet. As the TV had legs, I bet
a lot of pets who laid under the cats got a fairly big dose. What the
company in fact did was put out a little lead screen that should be soldered
in place below the valve, but it was only fitted when there was a service
call. Of course the fault condition meant that in theory that it could not
actually work, but it did not actually blow a fuse and on more than one
occasion people had been using it in sound only to listen to soaps while in
the kitchen or whatever. One should never assume the general public will not
use something with a fault.

Old June 14th 19, 08:05 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Back when stuff had plug in pcbs, there was a scare that one particular make
of tv had a pcb in some which had had one pcb made from sub standard
materials that could catch fire. It was relatively easy to change back in
the old tv rental days, although I'm sure many rental companies found it
cost them money. I often wondered about the ones which were purchased. After
this all the pcbs had a little knock out section that one could try to set
light to to decide if it was one of the dodgy ones or not. They otherwise
looked the same, it was something to do with the material used to bond the
fibreglass material the pcb had been made from

"Graham." wrote in message
Adrian Caspersz Wrote in message:
The thread about "Crackly fizzy (mechanical ?) noise from TV ?" has
prompted me to look this up.

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...oduct-recalls/

"The average success rate of an electrical product recall in the UK is
just 10-20%, this means that there are potentially millions of recalled
electrical items still in the UK"

Lots of things.

e.g.

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...ck-wiring-kit/

--
Adrian C

Oh FFS !
Check put my posting "Lidl Mains Connector" in uk.d-i-y on the 7th
of this month.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Old June 14th 19, 08:08 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Lack of communication with the staff.

"Graham." wrote in message
Terry Casey Wrote in message:
In article , graham-
says...

Adrian Caspersz Wrote in message:
The thread about "Crackly fizzy (mechanical ?) noise from TV ?" has
prompted me to look this up.

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...oduct-recalls/

"The average success rate of an electrical product recall in the UK is
just 10-20%, this means that there are potentially millions of
recalled
electrical items still in the UK"

Lots of things.

e.g.

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...ck-wiring-kit/

--
Adrian C

Oh FFS !
Check put my posting "Lidl Mains Connector" in uk.d-i-y on the 7th
of this month.

All that says is:

"
Lidl are selling sets of IDC type conectors of various sizes.
They look like Scotch Locks sold under their usual instore
brand name. They are rated for mains voltages, but no mention
of an enclosure. Are these actually complient with the regs?"

No mention of a product recall.

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

I didn't know there was a recall until now.
My expression of incredulity wasn't directed at the OP being slow
on the uptake, or anything like that, it was aimed at Lidl for
putting an item back on the shelves after it was recalled a year
ago.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Old June 14th 19, 08:15 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

I do or did used to find that old stock was often reduced to clear in shops
like Tandy. they used to call it a where is, as is sale. I'm sure a loot of
the stuff was basically illegal to sell. I bought a nice PSU which I used
for years, but I'm not so daft as to just plug it in and use it. I drilled
the rivets on the case lid and looked inside to be greeted with the most
flimsy botched up fuse holder and fuse known to man, and bits of the innards
glued to the case. Whether this was how it was supposed to be is anyone's
guess, but at the time it was really only the 10 minute job to put things
right, and as I say the basic design was good, My suspicion is that it had
been fiddled with and the returnee had riveted it shut to hide his guilt.
Nobody obviously checked it, but since I knew what I was doing I guess I
got a bargain. Of course cannot do stuff like that now.
Generally Tandy stuff used to be built like the proverbial brick ****
house.
I had one of their cassette decks for many many years with no issues.

"Terry Casey" wrote in message
In article , graham-
says...

I didn't know there was a recall until now.
My expression of incredulity wasn't directed at the OP being slow
on the uptake, or anything like that, it was aimed at Lidl for
putting an item back on the shelves after it was recalled a year
ago.

Fairy nuff.

But surely you are not suggesting that the product currently
on the shelves is the same defective one that was withdrawn
last year?

Perhaps they should stick 'New Improved Recipe' labels on the
boxes?

--

Terry

---