Android News Reader

Old January 29th 19, 12:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.legal
Norman Wells[_7_]

Default Android News Reader

Does anyone have any recommendations please for a newsgroup reader I can
use on an Android tablet that will perhaps link into and get the
messages off my news.international.net account? I use Thunderbird on my
main computer at home but that doesn't seem to have a mobile Android
app, so have been using Google Groups when elsewhere, which is pretty dire.

Any help appreciated.
Old January 29th 19, 12:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.legal
Incubus[_2_]

On 2019-01-29, Norman Wells wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations please for a newsgroup reader I can
use on an Android tablet that will perhaps link into and get the
messages off my news.international.net account? I use Thunderbird on my
main computer at home but that doesn't seem to have a mobile Android
app, so have been using Google Groups when elsewhere, which is pretty dire.

Any help appreciated.

None of the ones I have used come recommended and I am tempted to say there
isn't a good one available. There are serviceable ones that contain bugs or
poor interfaces for a device that isn't really ideal for Usenet.

I would suggest a bit of trial and error. I had one which I think was called
Newz or Newzbot or something, which was all right, but I don't see it on Google
Play any more.

If you are so addicted to Usenet that you want it on the go, get a Netbook or a
Nokia N900 or some such.
Old January 29th 19, 01:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.legal

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 11:43:19 -0000 (UTC), Incubus
wrote:

On 2019-01-29, Norman Wells wrote:
[...]

I've tried every available Android newsreader. None of them were much
use. I think it's an impossible task given the structure of newsgroup
postings.
Old January 29th 19, 01:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.legal
kat

On 29/01/2019 11:29, Norman Wells wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations please for a newsgroup reader I can use on
an Android tablet that will perhaps link into and get the messages off my
news.international.net account?* I use Thunderbird on my main computer at home
but that doesn't seem to have a mobile Android app, so have been using Google
Groups when elsewhere, which is pretty dire.

Any help appreciated.

I use news tap on my iPad and I think there is an android version.

--
kat
^..^

Old January 29th 19, 01:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.legal
Indy Jess John

On 29/01/2019 11:29, Norman Wells wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations please for a newsgroup reader I can
use on an Android tablet that will perhaps link into and get the
messages off my news.international.net account? I use Thunderbird on my
main computer at home but that doesn't seem to have a mobile Android
app, so have been using Google Groups when elsewhere, which is pretty dire.

Any help appreciated.

I use PiaoHong (which I think is also called News Groups in the Google
Apps Store).

It is functional rather than user friendly and it needs a bit of
patience when setting it up for the first time. Then it needs a bit of
practice to learn how it behaves.

I don't use it often. At home I use Thunderbird on a desktop or Pan on
a laptop, so reading newsgroups on a tablet is only important if I am
away from home. When away from home, I can't use my ISP's news server,
so I have configured it to use a free news server, which doesn't carry
binary groups. So I haven't tested its capabilities with multipart
binaries and yenc compression, though I believe it does both.

When I installed it, it was supposed to be the best available. But that
was nearly 4 years ago, so a lot could have changed since then.
Certainly, a quick look at the Apps Store shows alternatives with higher
user ratings. I haven't checked them out.

At least now you have one name you can use, if nobody else suggests
anything better.

Jim

Old January 29th 19, 03:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.legal
Norman Wells[_7_]

On 29/01/2019 11:43, Incubus wrote:
On 2019-01-29, Norman Wells wrote:
[...]

Just out of interest, how do they access usenet newsgroups then?

Old January 29th 19, 03:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.legal
Incubus[_2_]

On 2019-01-29, Norman Wells wrote:
[...]

An Nokia N900? You can install slrn, tin or PINE on it.
Old January 29th 19, 04:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.legal
Norman Wells[_7_]

Indy Jess John Wrote in message:
[...]

Thanks for all your replies. I'm giving Newsgroup Reader a try,
which seems to be the one you are using. At first glance, it
looks pretty useful, but who knows. I doubt if any Usenet apps
are maintained these days.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old January 29th 19, 05:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.legal
Andy Burns[_12_]

Norman Wells wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations please for a newsgroup reader I can
use on an Android tablet

There aren't any that are truly good, the ones that might be bearable
are groundhog and piaohong ...