IBA 1986

Old February 3rd 19, 03:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default IBA 1986

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cohhqsgmy...hRM-C3Oaa?dl=0

This is to interest any of you who are snowed in, in Basingstoke.

Old February 3rd 19, 04:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_4_]

On Sun 03/02/2019 14:00, Bill Wright wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cohhqsgmy...hRM-C3Oaa?dl=0

This is to interest any of you who are snowed in, in Basingstoke.

Looking at the guy from Grampian learning to use the Quantel Paintbox
brings back memories.

Back in the 80's when we had the annual Leeds University Electronics
Exhibition they used to lay on lectures in the evening usually lasting
30-40 minutes. A colleague and I went along to one such lecture given by
Quantel about their new picture manipulation system which grew from
their earlier frame standards convertor. It went on for something over
an hour and when the speakers said they had more but were concerned
about time there was a resounding choice to continue from a very well
attended and attentive audience. It lasted overall (with questions)
almost two hours and was one of the most fascinating demonstrations I
have ever witnessed. I do remember that everyone seemed to have a big
smile on their face as they left!

I have to say the principle was really quite simple but actually
achieving it was a different matter! One speaker commented that it
suddenly dawned upon him one morning that he had a small 19" rack in
front of him about 2/3 the height of his kitchen cooker and drawing
about 50% more than the cooker running at full bore!

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old February 4th 19, 03:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 14:00:43 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cohhqsgmy...hRM-C3Oaa?dl=0

This is to interest any of you who are snowed in, in Basingstoke.

I'm neither (thankfully!).
But the picture in Image 1 shows a sound desk in an ITV truck with
the faders apparently the 'right' way round, but the wrong way round
for ITV.
Curious.
Old February 4th 19, 04:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

OK so why would one have a right and wrong way around, I'd have thought
there might have been a standard?

Note I do wish BBC local radio in Brighton would sort their levels out in
one studio, they gyrate all over the place even in the middle of interviews
and music.

Old February 4th 19, 06:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 04/02/2019 14:28, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 14:00:43 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cohhqsgmy...hRM-C3Oaa?dl=0

This is to interest any of you who are snowed in, in Basingstoke.

I'm neither (thankfully!).
But the picture in Image 1 shows a sound desk in an ITV truck with
the faders apparently the 'right' way round, but the wrong way round
for ITV.
Curious.

A few ITV companies in the 70s and 80s were still on 1960s legacy
practice, and senior sound people who had started their careers in the
BBC, so they adopted the BBC fader 'philosophy'

Marvel at this 1980 Southern TV opening sequence, at 0:23 secs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IwWBy_B8DI

--
Mark
Old February 5th 19, 02:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 04/02/2019 17:04, Mark Carver wrote:

Marvel at this 1980 Southern TV opening sequence, at 0:23 secs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IwWBy_B8DI

Slab serifs have gone out of fashion a bit since then...

Old February 5th 19, 02:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 04/02/19 17:04, Mark Carver wrote:
On 04/02/2019 14:28, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 14:00:43 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cohhqsgmy...hRM-C3Oaa?dl=0

This is to interest any of you who are snowed in, in Basingstoke.

I'm neither (thankfully!).
But the picture in Image 1 shows a sound desk in an ITV truck with
the faders apparently the 'right' way round, but the wrong way round
for ITV.
Curious.

A few ITV companies in the 70s and 80s were still on 1960s legacy
practice, and senior sound people who had started their careers in the
BBC, so they adopted the BBC fader 'philosophy'

Marvel at this 1980 Southern TV opening sequence, at 0:23 secs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IwWBy_B8DI

I see that Trevor Baker died only a couple of years ago, aged 95!

--

Jeff
Old February 5th 19, 02:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cohhqsgmy...hRM-C3Oaa?dl=0

This is to interest any of you who are snowed in, in Basingstoke.

I'm neither (thankfully!).
But the picture in Image 1 shows a sound desk in an ITV truck with
the faders apparently the 'right' way round, but the wrong way round
for ITV.
Curious.

A few ITV companies in the 70s and 80s were still on 1960s legacy
practice, and senior sound people who had started their careers in the
BBC, so they adopted the BBC fader 'philosophy'

Marvel at this 1980 Southern TV opening sequence, at 0:23 secs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IwWBy_B8DI

I see that Trevor Baker died only a couple of years ago, aged 95!

Indeed. After he retired (I think he did so when TVS closed at the end
of 1992 ?) he became a porter at Southampton General Hospital ?

--
Mark
Old February 7th 19, 10:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Marland

Mark Carver wrote:

Marvel at this 1980 Southern TV opening sequence, at 0:23 secs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IwWBy_B8DI

I see that Trevor Baker died only a couple of years ago, aged 95!

Indeed. After he retired (I think he did so when TVS closed at the end
of 1992 ?) he became a porter at Southampton General Hospital ?

Not a porter in the sense of wheeling patients around from ward to theatre
etc.
He undertook a voluntary role wheeling a trolley with
confectionery,magazines etc around.

GH