sound cutting out on radio via freeview

Old February 7th 19, 11:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Marland

Default sound cutting out on radio via freeview

We tend to to listen to the local radio via the freeview set a lot nowadays
as it is convenient and FM and Dab from Rowridge is a bit iffy in this
bit of the Hants - Dorset border.

What has been annoying me for sometime is that the sound often drops out
,it seems worse on some occasions than others . The way it occurs makes me
wonder is some presenters or their phone in guests are too loud or a
signal level is set to high some way and the system is cutting them off
much like the sound limiter in the village hall does on too loud disco
operators.

Our station is Solent but does anyone have a similar problem with theirs?
And who should I mention it in the BBC as a problem, fairly sure it never
used to happen till they re equipped
the studios a couple of years back.

GH

Old February 7th 19, 03:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_4_]

On Thu 07/02/2019 10:06, Marland wrote:

We tend to to listen to the local radio via the freeview set a lot nowadays
as it is convenient and FM and Dab from Rowridge is a bit iffy in this
bit of the Hants - Dorset border.

What has been annoying me for sometime is that the sound often drops out
,it seems worse on some occasions than others . The way it occurs makes me
wonder is some presenters or their phone in guests are too loud or a
signal level is set to high some way and the system is cutting them off
much like the sound limiter in the village hall does on too loud disco
operators.

Our station is Solent but does anyone have a similar problem with theirs?
And who should I mention it in the BBC as a problem, fairly sure it never
used to happen till they re equipped
the studios a couple of years back.

I would doubt it is a BBC or transmission issue else there would be
people howling from all over the place.

One of the problems with digital TV (DTTV) is that it can get pulse
interference which may not show up on the picture (and not affect the
sound either) but when you are listening to radio the TV may momentarily
mute and that is what you could be hearing.

I would suggest you dig into the menu of the TV and find what sort of
signal level and quality you are getting. Indeed sit and watch them for
a few minutes and see if they are moving or steady.

One query: is this BBC Radio Solent or 'That's Solent.' The BBC station
is part of the BBC mux, but the latter is the local TV mux on channel 7
and runs at very much lower power than the other transmissions.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old February 7th 19, 06:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 07/02/19 10:06, Marland wrote:

We tend to to listen to the local radio via the freeview set a lot nowadays
as it is convenient and FM and Dab from Rowridge is a bit iffy in this
bit of the Hants - Dorset border.

What has been annoying me for sometime is that the sound often drops out
,it seems worse on some occasions than others . The way it occurs makes me
wonder is some presenters or their phone in guests are too loud or a
signal level is set to high some way and the system is cutting them off
much like the sound limiter in the village hall does on too loud disco
operators.

Our station is Solent but does anyone have a similar problem with theirs?
And who should I mention it in the BBC as a problem, fairly sure it never
used to happen till they re equipped
the studios a couple of years back.

I listen to Solent on MW. At varying times in the morning, about
half-an-hour apart, the sound disappears for a few seconds. There is no
noise of any sort (which you might expect on MW), just silence. I assume
this is something overloading the tuner section for that time. I do
listen every day on Dab as well, and occasionally on Freeview for an
hour or so on Sunday, but have never had sound loss on these at all
(south-central Hampshire).

--

Jeff
Old February 7th 19, 07:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_4_]

On Thu 07/02/2019 17:48, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 07/02/19 10:06, Marland wrote:

We tend to to listen to the local radio via the freeview set a lot
nowadays
as it is convenient andÂ* FMÂ* and Dab from Rowridge is a bit iffy in this
bit of the Hants - Dorset border.

What has been annoying me for sometime is that the sound often drops out
,it seems worse on some occasions than others .Â* The way it occurs
makes me
wonder is some presenters or their phone in guests are too loudÂ* or a
signal level is set to high some way and the system is cutting them off
much like the sound limiter in the village hall does on too loud disco
operators.

Our station is Solent but does anyone have a similar problem with theirs?
And who should I mention it in the BBC as a problem, fairly sure it never
used to happen till they re equipped
the studios a couple of years back.

I listen to Solent on MW. At varying times in the morning, about
half-an-hour apart, the sound disappears for a few seconds. There is no
noise of any sort (which you might expect on MW), just silence. I assume
this is something overloading the tuner section for that time. I do
listen every day on Dab as well, and occasionally on Freeview for an
hour or so on Sunday, but have never had sound loss on these at all
(south-central Hampshire).

Do those gaps have anything associated with travel news by any chance?

And will someone please define whether this is BBC Solent or 'That's
Solent' the independent station.

Old February 7th 19, 08:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 07/02/19 18:22, Woody wrote:
[...]

I think often, but maybe not exclusively. I'll listen for the next few
days to check.

And will someone please define whether this is BBC Solent or 'That's
Solent' the independent station.

The OP's first comment was "We tend to to listen to the local radio via
the freeview set...", so it's Radio Solent (well, that's what I was
referring to, anyway. It's bad enough having "That's Solent" on the TV
without it spreading to Medium Wave!).

--

Jeff
Old February 8th 19, 12:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Marland

Jeff Layman wrote:
On 07/02/19 18:22, Woody wrote:
[...]

No, they happen when a presenter or their guest is speaking . Never on
music.
A personal thought is that they are getting too close to the microphone
and that causes a setting to be exceeded but for some reason it only
affects the freeview transmission not the FM, DAB or online. I had
forgotten they still have MW ,haven’t used that for years.

I think often, but maybe not exclusively. I'll listen for the next few
days to check.

And will someone please define whether this is BBC Solent or 'That's
Solent' the independent station.

The OP's first comment was "We tend to to listen to the local radio via
the freeview set...", so it's Radio Solent (well, that's what I was
referring to, anyway. It's bad enough having "That's Solent" on the TV
without it spreading to Medium Wave!).

Yes as the OP I can confirm that it is the BBC Radio Solent I was referring
to, the line “And who should I mention to in the BBC as a problem” I would
have thought would be a clue, though to be honest I didn’t actually know
there was now an independent that also had Solent in its name.
Has a brief look on the www , oh for gawds sake ,it’s the latest of
incarnation of local TV, if I meant TV I would have said so instead of
using the word radio. Too weak to be received here thank god, watching the
earlier stations such as TV 12 when I lived closer scarred me for life.

To those who suggested using a device to listen online ,well we do but
often it’s easier just to switch channels to the freeview service and blank
the screen and due to where we live that makes it easy to flip to the
Dorset op out occasionally which is also available. The mono doesn’t matter
for the talk programmes

GH