Problems Correcting Video From DVD

Old February 10th 19, 04:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_3_]

Default Problems Correcting Video From DVD

I have a DVD of 'The Last Emperor' - for those who haven't seen it,
it's a beautifully and sensitively told story, often accompanied by some
simple but very beautiful music.

My problem is that the DVD won't display full-screen even on a
wide-screen laptop, it's letter-boxed in the centre of the screen. When
I examine the IFO with IFOEdit, I find it's ...

MPEG-2, 720x576 PAL (625/50) 4:3 (not specified perm. display)

.... so what seems to have happened is that a widescreen picture has been
padded with blank space top & bottom to convert it into 4:3, which
exactly explains why it won't display full-screen on a wide-screen
laptop :-( What a f*k up?! Who's dumb idea was *that*?!

So, I thought, Handbrake is the answer to this, I'll have it crop the
blank space, which indeed it does, giving me the full-screen picture I
was expecting. However, for some reason or other Handbrake doesn't
'like' this DVD very much, and introduces blemishes in the movie, mostly
these are excessive dithering, but quite often there are black flashes
affecting the whole picture, which I have tried many times to capture
for others to see, but was unable to freeze the playback at exactly the
right moment, while a clip captured using my tablet didn't really
display the effect clearly.

Has anyone any ideas as to how I can remove the blank spacing at the top
& bottom without affecting the final quality of the movie?
Old February 10th 19, 06:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
The Other John[_3_]

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 15:08:59 +0000, Java Jive wrote:

Has anyone any ideas as to how I can remove the blank spacing at the top
& bottom without affecting the final quality of the movie?

Would VLC work? I see it has zoom and aspect ratio controls.

--
TOJ.
Old February 10th 19, 07:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_3_]

On 10/02/2019 17:01, The Other John wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 15:08:59 +0000, Java Jive wrote:

Has anyone any ideas as to how I can remove the blank spacing at the top
& bottom without affecting the final quality of the movie?

On further investigation, it appears that Handbrake was exacerbating
existing problems in the original DVD. I've clambered over some boxes
to hoik the original out of the packing case containing my CDs and DVDs,
and played it, and definitely there are flaws in the picture.

Would VLC work? I see it has zoom and aspect ratio controls.

It has the option to crop down to 16:9, but the result looks of lower
quality even than some of my digitised VCR recordings, which is
unacceptable, and besides I want it play properly not just on a laptop,
but also my network media player upstairs, and also a TV, when I
eventually get another one.

But tx all the same.

So I'd still like some way of reprocessing the original files from the
DVD to smooth over the flaws as well as cropping off the blank spacing.
Old February 11th 19, 01:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W[_2_]

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 18:07:38 +0000, Java Jive
wrote:

[...]

Surely if the original has flaws the only thing you can do is manually
fill in each one from the video either side? I assume your playing
arrangement is fast enough to keep up?
--
Dave W
Old February 11th 19, 02:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_3_]

wrote:

On further investigation, it appears that Handbrake was exacerbating
existing problems in the original DVD. I've clambered over some boxes
to hoik the original out of the packing case containing my CDs and DVDs,
and played it, and definitely there are flaws in the picture.

Surely if the original has flaws the only thing you can do is manually
fill in each one from the video either side? I assume your playing
arrangement is fast enough to keep up?

If the DVD was new I'd send it back, but in fact I've had it some years
now, and when I first bought it, I didn't notice anything amiss,
presumably because my TV glossed over the flaws. I'm not sure how many
there are altogether, but I think quite a few, because when playing back
the MP4 produced by Handbrake, I noticed several before I decided that
the result was unacceptably poor and began to investigate, and then I
zero-ed in on one particular one at 23:52.

So, given probably there are many, I was hoping that maybe software
could fix them without my having to do each one individually, but I
guess it's like scratches in vinyl digitisations - software is never
as good as a human in finding and fixing them.

Perhaps it would be easier to buy another copy of the DVD, but I'm
presuming anything from the same source would have the same flaws. I'm
also now beginning to wonder whether I was had and bought a fake - the
DVD itself has the brand name "Second Sight" and "Made in Belgium by
VTV". I've posted scans he
www.macfh.co.uk/Temp/LastEmperor-DVD.png (1MB)
www.macfh.co.uk/Temp/LastEmperor-Tray.png (9MB)
Does anyone else here have a DVD which they can check these against?
Old February 11th 19, 05:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 11/02/2019 13:25, Java Jive wrote:

Perhaps it would be easier to buy another copy of the DVD, but I'm
presuming anything from the same source would have the same flaws.¬* I'm
also now beginning to wonder whether I was had and bought a fake¬* -¬* the
DVD itself has the brand name "Second Sight" and "Made in Belgium by
VTV".¬* I've posted scans he
¬*¬*¬*¬*www.macfh.co.uk/Temp/LastEmperor-DVD.png¬*¬*¬* (1MB)
¬*¬*¬*¬*www.macfh.co.uk/Temp/LastEmperor-Tray.png¬*¬*¬* (9MB)
Does anyone else here have a DVD which they can check these against?

I've got a 16:9 copy, search eBay or amazon for 5060034576259 which is
the EAN. It's letterboxed from the original Aspect Ratio of 2.35:1

.... and looks pretty bad upscaled to 4K.

I'd try and find it on Blueray, if you are keen on quality. This is one
of the older DVDs I have.

From MediaInfo (https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo)

Video
ID : 224 (0xE0)
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, BVOP : Yes
Format settings, Matrix : Custom
Format settings, picture structure : Frame
Duration : 25 min 28 s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 5 055 kb/s
Maximum bit rate : 9 800 kb/s
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Standard : PAL
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.488
Stream size : 921 MiB (90%)

--
Adrian C
Old February 11th 19, 10:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 11/02/2019 13:25, Java Jive wrote:
If the DVD was new I'd send it back, but in fact I've had it some years
now, and when I first bought it, I didn't notice anything amiss,
presumably because my TV glossed over the flaws.¬* I'm not sure how many
there are altogether, but I think quite a few, because when playing back
the MP4 produced by Handbrake, I noticed several before I decided that
the result was unacceptably poor and began to investigate, and then I
zero-ed in on one particular one at 23:52.

Do you see the flaws when you play it on a real DVD player?

It occurs to me it just might be copy protection being not very effective.

Andy
Old February 11th 19, 10:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_3_]

On 11/02/2019 21:00, Vir Campestris wrote:

Do you see the flaws when you play it on a real DVD player?

It occurs to me it just might be copy protection being not very effective.

Well, I've not tried to play in on my player for some years, my only
'proper' player being now in its cardboard box somewhere in the stack,
and I'm not about to get it out to check.

Besides, there is no copy protection - the day before yesterday I was
wondering whether the DVD was defective, but found I was able to copy
the files from it, without error, just using Explorer.
Old February 11th 19, 11:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Pete Forman[_2_]

Java Jive writes:

On 11/02/2019 21:00, Vir Campestris wrote:

Do you see the flaws when you play it on a real DVD player?

It occurs to me it just might be copy protection being not very
effective.

Well, I've not tried to play in on my player for some years, my only
'proper' player being now in its cardboard box somewhere in the stack,
and I'm not about to get it out to check.

Besides, there is no copy protection - the day before yesterday I was
wondering whether the DVD was defective, but found I was able to copy
the files from it, without error, just using Explorer.

If you are looking to buy a replacement then you are unlikely to go
wrong with the Criterion Collection. They are very serious about quality
there. I have a few of their titles for films that are special to me.

https://www.criterion.com/films/254-the-last-emperor

They are available via other channels, e.g.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...n+last+emperor

--
Pete Forman
https://payg.pythonanywhere.com
Old February 13th 19, 02:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 21:00:33 +0000
Vir Campestris wrote:

On 11/02/2019 13:25, Java Jive wrote:
If the DVD was new I'd send it back, but in fact I've had it some
years now, and when I first bought it, I didn't notice anything
amiss, presumably because my TV glossed over the flaws.¬* I'm not
sure how many there are altogether, but I think quite a few,
because when playing back the MP4 produced by Handbrake, I noticed
several before I decided that the result was unacceptably poor and
began to investigate, and then I zero-ed in on one particular one
at 23:52.

Do you see the flaws when you play it on a real DVD player?

It occurs to me it just might be copy protection being not very
effective.

Andy

What happens at 23:52? I have a DVD, and at this point, the young
Emperor is coming to the top of some steps, dialog includes: "He's so
small!". I can see no obvious imperfections.

--
Davey.