Buffering problems

Old February 13th 19, 08:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_4_]

Default Buffering problems

I am having buffering problems with the BBC iPlayer (and other sites
as well). This affects the PC but my iPad seems to be unaffected.

I have rebooted the router and restarted the PC a few times. I have
also checked the display driver. I have looked at task manager and
can see no overloads there.

My computer is connected to the router by ethernet cable. Technical
support at my ISP have suggested that he cable may have degraded with
age but I can find no support for this theory on Google.

Any ideas where I should be looking next?
Old February 13th 19, 08:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_4_]

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 19:04:32 +0000, Scott
wrote:

I am having buffering problems with the BBC iPlayer (and other sites
as well). This affects the PC but my iPad seems to be unaffected.

I have rebooted the router and restarted the PC a few times. I have
also checked the display driver. I have looked at task manager and
can see no overloads there.

My computer is connected to the router by ethernet cable. Technical
support at my ISP have suggested that he cable may have degraded with
age but I can find no support for this theory on Google.

Any ideas where I should be looking next?

Sorry to reply to my own posting, but after further investigation it
seems to be okay on Edge but not on Chrome. I have cleared the Chrome
cache. Any ideas what might be going on?
Old February 13th 19, 10:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 13/02/2019 19:36, Scott wrote:

Sorry to reply to my own posting, but after further investigation it
seems to be okay on Edge but not on Chrome. I have cleared the Chrome
cache. Any ideas what might be going on?

I wonder if Chrome users are having their communications routed through
a Google logging process and this is causing occasional delays long
enough to cause buffering.

It is the kind of trick Google might pull without telling anyone.

Jim

Old February 14th 19, 09:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Could it be that the definition of the picture is set higher in one case?
IE the download or streaming tends to try to use only what you can show. If
its lying to the system and trying to stream hd when it cannot that can
cause this sort of thing.
I've got a very sneaky impression that 10 is far worse for latency than 7
was in this respect.

Old February 14th 19, 09:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Well, Chrome is supposedly one of the fastest browsers out there and the
next version of Edge is going to be based on the Chrome code so we will
have to wait and see.

What happens in, say, Waterfox?

Old February 14th 19, 10:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_4_]

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 08:28:55 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Could it be that the definition of the picture is set higher in one case?
IE the download or streaming tends to try to use only what you can show. If
its lying to the system and trying to stream hd when it cannot that can
cause this sort of thing.
I've got a very sneaky impression that 10 is far worse for latency than 7
was in this respect.
Brian

Thanks. I tried reducing it to no avail. There is plenty of capacity
on the broadband for HD. It works on Edge. If anything, this
suggests Microsoft is not responsible for the problem.