Using an HR20 and an HR 21 in the same room?

Old August 11th 08, 11:28 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.dbs
Charlie Hoffpauir

Default Using an HR20 and an HR 21 in the same room?

I recently (a few months ago) upgraded from an SD DirecTivo to an HD
DVR in my Bedroom. I fully expected to receive an HR21, but to my
surprise received an HR20 (idential to the one I already had in my
Den). I was pleased with the experience, so a few weeks ago decided to
upgrade (trade in) my DirecTivo HR10 for the new HD DVR, hoping for
another HR20. However, they sent me an HR21, or rather had an
installer install it (on the DirecTivo swap a few months ago they just
shipped me the HR20, but now seemed to think I needed an installer).

Well, I though there might be controller problems, since I'd had no
conflict between the HR20 and the HR 10, and indeed there are. I'm now
using the HR21 set up to receive RF and the HR20 IR, so that a remote
can control each one without affecting the other, but still have
problems with both controlling the TV and the Sound system.

Now (finally)for the question... Is there any way to set up an HR20
and an HR21, other than RF for one and IR for the other, so that I can
use them both with one TV in the same room? The old DirecTivos, both
SD and HD, had the means to set each up to receive separate IR
signals, but no help from DirecTV support on any way to do this with
either the HR20 or the HR21.

--
Charlie Hoffpauir
Old August 11th 08, 11:40 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.dbs

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
[...]

There is, although I don't know how. Go to this forum and do a search on
it:

www.dbstalk.com

Chip

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
Old August 11th 08, 11:57 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.dbs
Raymond Feist

In article ,
Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

[...]

In the setup menu there's a "setup remote," where you can enable A/B
selection between two different remotes so you don't have them both
shifting channels at the same time. They even have little stickers in
the box (when I got mine) so you can number them. I believe you can do
up to 4.

Best, R.E.F.

--
Never attribute to malice what can
satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity.
Old August 12th 08, 04:43 AM posted to rec.video.satellite.dbs
Bob Nielsen[_3_]

Raymond Feist wrote:
In article ,
Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

[...]

That will allow you to control two Directv receivers with the same
remote, but they will also need to use different codes, 00001 for one
and 00002 for the other.

More than one HR20/21 can be used with RF, since the serial number is
used for addressing.
Old August 12th 08, 09:07 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.dbs
Don Moe[_2_]

Charlie,

On the DBStalk.com forum there is a section with Tips & Tricks for the
HR20 and HR21 receivers:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=72648
The current document is available in both PDF and Word-DOC formats.

In that document is a link to a Remote FAQ and discussion about how to
program the remotes for multiple receivers in the same room.
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=108130
A particular posting in the thread should answer your questions directly:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?...38&postcount=6

In my case, an HR10-250, an HR20-700 and an HR21-100 are all controlled
by a single RC64RB remote, although the HR10 is still in IR mode.

Don
Jupiter, FL

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote in
:

Old August 25th 09, 02:17 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.dbs
hasan schiers

This can be done with no problem. The two boxes can be set for different
IR codes. Go to the dbstalk.com forums and you will find out how to set
the codes. (you will also find these forums the gold standard for the HR
and H series boxes). There are quite a few active participants who are
very well informed and like to help people.

Old August 25th 09, 03:04 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.dbs
Charlie Hoffpauir

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 07:17:52 -0500, Hasan Schiers
wrote:

This can be done with no problem. The two boxes can be set for different
IR codes. Go to the dbstalk.com forums and you will find out how to set
the codes. (you will also find these forums the gold standard for the HR
and H series boxes). There are quite a few active participants who are
very well informed and like to help people.

Well, thanks for your comment Hasan, but this is a very old post, and
I've had the units set up properly for a long time now. As you said,
the folks at dbstalk were very helpful. I also managed to set up my
Harmony controller so that I can control everything with just the one
controller.