Digital quality of streamed radio

Old November 17th 18, 06:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_3_]

Default Digital quality of streamed radio

On 17/11/2018 17:24, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 17/11/2018 09:34, Java Jive wrote:

I have had VLC installed on XP for yonks.

You're very brave connecting an XP machine to the Internet. Distinct
lack of security patches.

Actually it's not normally used to connect to the internet, this w7
laptop is my principal PC and therefore the one that's mostly connected
to the internet. However, I am prepared to use either of the two XP
laptops to connect to sites that I trust, such as the BBC. Also, I've
ensured, as backups against this one going down, that both of them can
if necessary run GetIPlayer, and, again, as the most recent official
installers do not support XP, I can provide instructions for doing this
if it would be of interest. Alternatively, I mailed them to the
GetIPlayer mailing list a few months back.

When they pull the plug on Win7 I'll likely switch to Linux. There's not
much I need now that's Windows only. My main machine at work is Ubuntu,
and I have a Windows laptop for those odd exceptions.

+1
Old November 17th 18, 07:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Java Jive" wrote in message
news
On 17/11/2018 17:24, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 17/11/2018 09:34, Java Jive wrote:

I have had VLC installed on XP for yonks.

You're very brave connecting an XP machine to the Internet. Distinct lack
of security patches.

Actually it's not normally used to connect to the internet, this w7 laptop
is my principal PC and therefore the one that's mostly connected to the
internet. However, I am prepared to use either of the two XP laptops to
connect to sites that I trust, such as the BBC

I have an XP PC which I never connect to the internet but which I use for
digitising analogue video (VHS or output of Sky box) because the PCI card in
it gives much better results (less prominent timing jitter, less flicker on
saturated colours) than the USB adaptor that I bought for use with my
Windows 7 laptop. The card does not have Windows 7 or 10 drivers. It is
tempting to connect it to the LAN so I can transfer recordings to another PC
for editing out commercials etc and long-term storage, but I use a memory
stick or external HDD just in case.

It is debatable whether it is easier to move XP PC, monitor, keyboard/mouse
and cables downstairs to the Sky box, or to disentangle the cables from the
Sky box and disconnect them all to take the Sky box upstairs for digitising
something :-)

The problem with the card, which I often forget when I do another film etc,
is that it has a 50:50 chance of "crossfiring" - digitising the second field
of one frame with the first field of the following frame, which gives rather
jerky movement on pans. I have to start it, take a copy of the output to
check, and restart it if necessary. And I need to make sure there is overlap
at the end of each 4 GB file (it automatically inserts a break at 4 GB, no
doubt because of FAT32-on-Windows restrictions. If I simply join the two
files, there is a gap of about a second ;-(

But it's still better than the USB adaptor, whose only advantage is that it
is not fussy about copy-protection on VHS pre-recorded tapes - for the rare
ones that I've wanted to transfer to a "modern" format. You'd think that a
well-known brand of analogue and digital TV adaptors would produce better
results than it does: it's very sensitive to (and exaggerates) any timing
errors on VHS, and makes strong purples and cyans really throb.

Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 17:24:47 +0000, Vir Campestris
wrote:

When they pull the plug on Win7 I'll likely switch to Linux. There's not
much I need now that's Windows only. My main machine at work is Ubuntu,
and I have a Windows laptop for those odd exceptions.

Might I suggest that if you're accustomed to Windows 7 (or any
previous version from Windows 95 onwards) you'll probably find it
easiest to adjust to Linux mint Cinnamon, as most of the main features
are in the same places and work in a similar way. That's what I have
as the alternative dual-boot system on my main PC and laptop. I don't
normally use it but like to maintain some familiarity with it, in
readiness for the day that some fatuous Microsoft update goes just one
step too far and annoys me enough to push me over to the "other side".

Rod.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 18/11/2018 07:18, Roderick Stewart wrote:

Might I suggest that if you're accustomed to Windows 7 (or any
previous version from Windows 95 onwards) you'll probably find it
easiest to adjust to Linux mint Cinnamon

I tried Cinnamon and didn't like it much.
It didn't take me long to get the hang of Mate after I installed it on a
spare laptop I had been given to "wipe the disc before you scrap it".

And then I installed Mint Mate on two systems for friends: one wanted
their first ever computer, so I bought a second hand laptop for them and
then thought that there would be no benefit to them giving them Windows;
the other was for a friend who had been using Vista until support for it
was ended and the last Microsoft update gave it problems (including
suddenly failing to output to the printer), and when I discovered that
nearly everything done was either e-mail or browser, Linux Mint was the
obvious alternative. I didn't say it wasn't Windows; I think she thinks
it is just Vista updated!

I installed Teamviewer on both, and on my Mint laptop. I know both
their system passwords and they don't, so they can't do anything
particularly dangerous, and now and again I remotely tell their systems
to apply updates.

That said, I still normally run an XP system at home because I have some
very useful Win98 software that doesn't run on Win7 in Compatibility
Mode (I tried it).

Jim
Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 12:11:41 +0000, Indy Jess John
wrote:

and when I discovered that
nearly everything done was either e-mail or browser, Linux Mint was the
obvious alternative. I didn't say it wasn't Windows; I think she thinks
it is just Vista updated!

I've found this too. You can give non-technical family or friends the
use of a computer running Mint, and you don't even need to tell them
what it is, or give any other instruction than how to run the web
browser. They don't ask any questions, but just get on with it.

Rod.

---
https://www.avg.com