Sky 'auto standby' to roll out from today

Old March 20th 07, 09:49 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Ed

Default Sky 'auto standby' to roll out from today

SKY is to introduce technology that automatically switches digital
boxes to standby mode overnight - slashing energy bills by 7.5MILLION
a year.

The boxes will go to "sleep" after 11pm if they detect they have not
been used for two hours.

The technology will be transmitted to Sky HD boxes from today and to
all Sky+ boxes from April - a total of more than two million. Sky said
Auto Standby could save enough energy to light all the homes in
Wolverhampton for a year. It could also cut UK carbon emissions by
32,000 tons a year.

Old March 20th 07, 10:18 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On Mar 20, 9:49 am, "Ed" wrote:
SKY is to introduce technology that automatically switches digital
boxes to standby mode overnight - slashing energy bills by 7.5MILLION
a year.

The boxes will go to "sleep" after 11pm if they detect they have not
been used for two hours.

The technology will be transmitted to Sky HD boxes from today and to
all Sky+ boxes from April - a total of more than two million. Sky said
Auto Standby could save enough energy to light all the homes in
Wolverhampton for a year. It could also cut UK carbon emissions by
32,000 tons a year.

Just Sky+ boxes then ? I hope so, it'll cause chaos for communal
systems etc if it's introduced to standard boxes. Of course, as
regular readers of this group will know, there is virtually no
difference in power consumption between a digibox that's on, and one
in standby.

Old March 20th 07, 10:20 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Ed

On Mar 20, 10:18 am, "Mark Carver" wrote:
On Mar 20, 9:49 am, "Ed" wrote:

[...]

I dont think there is much benefit turning off a regular box. It uses
almost no power. It is the hard disk in the plus and HD boxes that is
constantly turning as it buffers that uses the power.

Old March 20th 07, 10:34 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On Mar 20, 10:20 am, "Ed" wrote:

I dont think there is much benefit turning off a regular box. It uses
almost no power. It is the hard disk in the plus and HD boxes that is
constantly turning as it buffers that uses the power.

No *less* power in standby I think you mean :-)

ISTR when I had Sky+ the HDD spun continuously whether the box was on
or standby, I assume that's now changed ?

Old March 20th 07, 02:52 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
steeler

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Mar 20, 10:20 am, "Ed" wrote:

I dont think there is much benefit turning off a regular box. It uses
almost no power. It is the hard disk in the plus and HD boxes that is
constantly turning as it buffers that uses the power.

No *less* power in standby I think you mean :-)

ISTR when I had Sky+ the HDD spun continuously whether the box was on
or standby, I assume that's now changed ?

Quite. It saves very little power on a standard dogibox. Plus standby
would **** with the auto-switch planner. Makes sense for sky+ as they are
designed to work in standby.

Old March 20th 07, 02:58 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 14:52:36 GMT, "steeler" wrote:

|!
|!"Mark Carver" wrote in message
oups.com...
|! On Mar 20, 10:20 am, "Ed" wrote:
|!
|! I dont think there is much benefit turning off a regular box. It uses
|! almost no power. It is the hard disk in the plus and HD boxes that is
|! constantly turning as it buffers that uses the power.
|!
|! No *less* power in standby I think you mean :-)
|!
|! ISTR when I had Sky+ the HDD spun continuously whether the box was on
|! or standby, I assume that's now changed ?
|!
|!
|!Quite. It saves very little power on a standard dogibox. Plus standby
|!would **** with the auto-switch planner. Makes sense for sky+ as they are
|!designed to work in standby.

If there were rules to say that " the standby current taken by any device
using Infra Red controls must be less than 1 watt", that would cure the
problem and not be difficult or expensive to do.
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg

Old March 20th 07, 06:35 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Hyett

In uk.tech.tv.sky on Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Mark Carver wrote :
On Mar 20, 9:49 am, "Ed" wrote:
SKY is to introduce technology that automatically switches digital
boxes to standby mode overnight - slashing energy bills by 7.5MILLION
a year.

The boxes will go to "sleep" after 11pm if they detect they have not
been used for two hours.

The technology will be transmitted to Sky HD boxes from today and to
all Sky+ boxes from April - a total of more than two million. Sky said
Auto Standby could save enough energy to light all the homes in
Wolverhampton for a year. It could also cut UK carbon emissions by
32,000 tons a year.

Just Sky+ boxes then ? I hope so, it'll cause chaos for communal
systems etc if it's introduced to standard boxes.

Not to mention I often record several hours of the music channels
overnight - the above will screw that up!
--
Paul 'Charts Fan' Hyett
Old March 20th 07, 07:11 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Bob Lucas

news
On Mar 20, 9:49 am, "Ed" wrote:
[...]

Why are so many people scare-mongering about imagined problems, that
have not yet occurred?

Auto standby won't screw up anything (provided the subscriber wants to
record programmes to the Sky HD (or Sky+) internal drive, as opposed to
an external recorder.

It won't matter whether the Sky HD or Sky+ receiver is "up and running"
or on standby, because the record function works equally well,
irrespective of whether the receiver is "up and running" or on standby.

A Sky+ or Sky HD receiver has two tuners, to facilitate simultaneous
recording from two different channels - OR viewing one channel and
recording from another. You can record one programme whilst you watch a
different channel - but if you want to record two channels
simultaneously, you will not be able to view transmissions from a third
(different) channel.

Consequently, I usually leave my Sky+ receiver on standby, because
standby mode reduces the possibility of clashes that could interfere
with scheduled recordings. Automatic standby mode will surely have the
same, beneficial, effect.

Old March 20th 07, 10:07 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
John Russell

(different) channel.

Consequently, I usually leave my Sky+ receiver on standby, because standby
mode reduces the possibility of clashes that could interfere with
scheduled recordings. Automatic standby mode will surely have the same,
beneficial, effect.

But how do they know it's not being used after 11 o'clock? Sure if it's
connected to the TV via a hand shaken digital link then it might know if
the TV's still on, but some peole have said they record digital radio over
night without the TV on.

Old March 21st 07, 08:07 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Hyett

In uk.tech.tv.sky on Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Bob Lucas wrote :

"Paul Hyett" wrote in message
news

Just Sky+ boxes then ? I hope so, it'll cause chaos for communal
systems etc if it's introduced to standard boxes.

Not to mention I often record several hours of the music channels
overnight - the above will screw that up!

Why are so many people scare-mongering about imagined problems, that
have not yet occurred?

Auto standby won't screw up anything (provided the subscriber wants to
record programmes to the Sky HD (or Sky+) internal drive, as opposed to
an external recorder.

That's the thing - I only *have* an external recorder.

Hopefully it won't affect standard boxes, otherwise I may have to
program a universal remote to send a signal every so often...
--
Paul 'Charts Fan' Hyett