Payment Plans SkyHD???

Old April 18th 06, 07:33 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky

Default Payment Plans SkyHD???

On 18 Apr 2006 12:10:45 GMT, "Alex" wrote:

My advice is wait, HD boxes will be standard issue soon.

Just like Sky+ boxes?

Our Sky+ Box was only an extra 40 with Sky+ subscription, about the
same as a regular box would have been. I'm assuming that most people
would be prepared to take a minimum HD sub for a year to reduce the
cost. In fact there's good reason for Sky to get MPEG4 rolled out to
regular users as it could reduce transmission costs in the same way
the MPEG2 did, though it would be a much longer and harder roll out.

HD will only be available over HDMI connections on later boxes, although
whether this will also be a firmware 'upgrade' to the first gen boxes remains
to be seen.

If content protection's not used then it's easy to convert HDMI to
component. If it is then even the first gen boxes component outputs
won't work. As owner of an HD TV with only component (no HDMI)
connectors this doesn't worry me. If the content's not there (or is
made unusable by so called protection) then I won't be watching it.

Rgds
Jonathan