Films with PINs

Old January 27th 07, 09:55 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
guv

Default Films with PINs

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 09:18:41 GMT, Paul Heslop
wrote:

guv wrote:

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 08:09:20 GMT, Paul Hyett
wrote:

In uk.media.tv.sky on Fri, 26 Jan 2007, Paul Heslop wrote :

I see on the $ky website it says:

"A PIN will be required on 18-rated programmes before 9pm and
12/15-rated programmes before 8pm."

So I assume I am correct in thinking this has been added to try to
trick unsuspecting people into authorising a PPV in error.

Sneaky *******s!

It's been discussed a few times and is just one of those things it
seems we're stuck with.

But it's still something you *should* be able to turn off if you have no
minors in the house!

Thats the point. There is no doubt it can be done, but $ky would
prefer you to getting used to entering your PIN and eventually slip up
and agree to a PPV by accident.

It's nothing like that, at least on the two channels movies 9&10. They
are effectively the hi-def channels and all they're doing is giving
viewers who use the two hi-defs more content, so they put the 'adult'
stuff on earlier... then they repeat it all later which kind of
defeats the who idea. You don't pay extra for them, and you don't pay
extra for the crazy ones which have started popping up on the cheapo
channels, which are probably films which gained an x certificate in
the olden days. Someone pointed out yonks ago that you can turn off
the pin if you are recording to your sky+ and I think that's the
secret, it means it would be almost impossible to guarantee a
recording you set for any other device... vhs or dvd etc, but you
would be okay with THEIR device.

Well he doesnt have HD or +, but he could still accidently see a film
on the guide he would to watch without realising it was PPV. It
wouldn't be an issue, if you could set max spend to zero - turning off
PPV altogether... but you can't. I still think its something they are
happy not to allow you to turn off completely for that purpose.

Personally I think the whole digital thing is geared towards these
companies having much more control over what you can and can;t do and
eventually we will get to the stage where turning over during advert
breaks will be impossible.

Yeh, channel hopping could become a real pain!
Old January 27th 07, 01:27 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
Paul Heslop

guv wrote:

Well he doesnt have HD or +, but he could still accidently see a film
on the guide he would to watch without realising it was PPV. It
wouldn't be an issue, if you could set max spend to zero - turning off
PPV altogether... but you can't. I still think its something they are
happy not to allow you to turn off completely for that purpose.

Ah, i see where you're coming from and yes, at a long shot he could do
that. personally I don't pin anything in for something I not willing
to watch and I refuse to pay extra for anything else.

Personally I think the whole digital thing is geared towards these
companies having much more control over what you can and can;t do and
eventually we will get to the stage where turning over during advert
breaks will be impossible.

Yeh, channel hopping could become a real pain!

that's putting it mildly
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Old January 27th 07, 04:06 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
guv

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 13:27:38 GMT, Paul Heslop
wrote:

guv wrote:

Well he doesnt have HD or +, but he could still accidently see a film
on the guide he would to watch without realising it was PPV. It
wouldn't be an issue, if you could set max spend to zero - turning off
PPV altogether... but you can't. I still think its something they are
happy not to allow you to turn off completely for that purpose.

Ah, i see where you're coming from and yes, at a long shot he could do
that. personally I don't pin anything in for something I not willing
to watch and I refuse to pay extra for anything else.

Yup, likewise. At home I only have the basic package and pretty much
everything has been disabled. Its not something that would affect me
personally - but for an 83 YO, no matter how many times you explain, I
couldnt gaurantee that info stuck in there!

Old January 27th 07, 04:42 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
Paul Heslop

wrote:

guv wrote:

Well he doesnt have HD or +, but he could still accidently see a film
on the guide he would to watch without realising it was PPV. It
wouldn't be an issue, if you could set max spend to zero - turning off
PPV altogether... but you can't. I still think its something they are
happy not to allow you to turn off completely for that purpose.

Ah, i see where you're coming from and yes, at a long shot he could do
that. personally I don't pin anything in for something I not willing
to watch and I refuse to pay extra for anything else.

Yup, likewise. At home I only have the basic package and pretty much
everything has been disabled. Its not something that would affect me
personally - but for an 83 YO, no matter how many times you explain, I
couldnt gaurantee that info stuck in there!

Yeah, it's a worry when there's anyone who maybe might do things by
mistake, which is actually partly why the pin number is there, but
there is always room for error.

Old January 27th 07, 06:30 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
Paul Hyett

In uk.media.tv.sky on Sat, 27 Jan 2007, guv wrote :

But it's still something you *should* be able to turn off if you have no
minors in the house!

Thats the point. There is no doubt it can be done, but $ky would
prefer you to getting used to entering your PIN and eventually slip up
and agree to a PPV by accident.

It'd have to be *some* accident - the channel numbers are considerably
different!
--
Paul 'Charts Fan' Hyett
Old January 28th 07, 05:26 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
Zero Tolerance

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 08:34:44 +0000, guv wrote:

Thats the point. There is no doubt it can be done, but $ky would
prefer you to getting used to entering your PIN and eventually slip up
and agree to a PPV by accident.

PPV purchase is a completely different screen, asking you to press
different buttons, requiring you to confirm, all the while displaying
the cost of the event on the screen.

Fairly hard to do by accident. And if you're worried that you might,
unplug your phone connection. Then you won't be able to, even by
accident.

Old January 28th 07, 05:28 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
Zero Tolerance

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 09:55:07 +0000, guv wrote:

Well he doesnt have HD or +, but he could still accidently see a film
on the guide he would to watch without realising it was PPV.

No he couldn't. You could phone Sky to get them to disallow PPV
purchases on that card, or, easier still, just remove the telephone
connection. Then if he should 'accidentally' try to order something,
he'll get a confusing error message instead.

Old January 29th 07, 01:47 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
Zero Tolerance

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 18:40:53 +0000, guv wrote:

Not having done so (nor ever will) I thought it was just a case of
entering your pin. Even so, its an inconvenience that should be
allowed to be disabled if you have no minors at the premesis.

Well that would probably not satisfy OFCOM. They can only ensure "the
protection of children" by requiring that a PIN is always entered, not
only if the grown-ups of the house are clueful enough to ensure that
their box is configured to prompt for one.

It's a toss-up. The quid pro quo for being able to view '12' and '15'
material at any time of the day is that you have to enter your PIN.
The alternative is that Ofcom does not allow the transmission of that
material at all before 8pm.

If he unplugged the line, wouldnt sky be aware if they checked? Also,
I thought you could still access PPV without the phone connection. I
thought there was a credit limit built into your account, which when
hit, your account was disabled? At least I read that on a forum some
time back!

Sky would be aware but it would only be an issue if it was a Multiroom
box (which I'm assuming that it's not.) And while your viewing card
does have a 'credit limit' this is only to tide it over between the
ordering of the event and a successful call back to base. The fact
remains that at the point of ordering a PPV event, the box checks to
see if the phone line is connected. If it isn't, it will not play ball
and will not allow you to buy the event.
Old January 31st 07, 01:52 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
Sean Black

In article , Paul Heslop
writes
guv wrote:

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 20:18:48 +0000, guv wrote:

My dad has just had $ky installed with the full package. I was round
earlier to view the install and make sure everything was ok. (It wasnt
- but thats another story!)

Anyway, one of the films on earlier Independance Day - had to have the
PIN inserted to clear the picture. I know this is for films that are
before watershed times - but seeing as there are no kids in the house,
its not wanted. Is there a way of removing this? The normal stuff has
all the PIN number requirements removed (apart from for pay stuff).

Or is this just a sneaky way to catch you out and insert your PIN by
accident on a PPV movie and order a film by mistake?

I see on the $ky website it says:

"A PIN will be required on 18-rated programmes before 9pm and
12/15-rated programmes before 8pm."

So I assume I am correct in thinking this has been added to try to
trick unsuspecting people into authorising a PPV in error.

Sneaky *******s!

It's been discussed a few times and is just one of those things it
seems we're stuck with.

It's apparently been made optional in the latest update for the HD
boxes, whenever they sort the software out and finish the roll out.
Whether that will follow on to normal Sky+ and digi-boxes, is anyones
guess.

--
Sean Black