HD box without HD subscription

Old April 5th 08, 11:30 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
Gareth[_3_]

Default HD box without HD subscription

"jb" wrote in message
it is generaqlly being discusse that the BBC's new hd freesat service will
launch as early as the 5th of May at which time a gradually emerging
economical and interesting and diverse arrange of HD as well as non HD kit
will gradually become more and more avaiable - all one off cost and all
non subscription.

it therefore follows that it would make good sense to avoid buying
existing apperatus with or without subscrition with only roughly a month
to go.

hope this helps

Thanks. I've been very interested in Freesat and I don't mind too much about
the limited channel lineup (at launch).

But Sky does seem to have good multi room installation offers. My problem is
that it will cost me about 300 to 400 for an aerial upgrade to receive
Freeview to more than one room. It's cheaper to go for cable of sat (even
Sky multi room for a year).

I suspect that Freesat won't have a multi room PVR offer to compete with
Sky - even if they do it is almost certainly going to be a case of a whole
new installation outlay upon moving home. Sky, it is claimed, only charge
40 for relocation (although I can find no mention of the charge on their
website).

Still, I think I will hold out for the Freesat details. It would be silly
not too. Freesat, unlike Freeview, can only get better in the coming years
(bandwidth and all that). And it's free.

Old April 6th 08, 11:30 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
John Russell

I suspect that Freesat won't have a multi room PVR offer to compete with
Sky - even if they do it is almost certainly going to be a case of a whole
new installation outlay upon moving home. Sky, it is claimed, only charge
40 for relocation (although I can find no mention of the charge on their
website).

Freesat is nothing more than an "umbrella" idea. Your not going to be
limited to one box supplied by the BBC. Instead your going to get the major
STB makers producing all kinds of box's to match the Freesat requirement.
Some people will only want a cheap single tuner, SD MPEG2 only device
(becuase they are outside Freeview DVB-T reception). Others will want the
full blown twin tuner, HD MPEG4 PVR.

Old April 6th 08, 11:55 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
Brian McIlwrath

John Russell wrote:
: Freesat is nothing more than an "umbrella" idea. Your not going to be
: limited to one box supplied by the BBC. Instead your going to get the major
: STB makers producing all kinds of box's to match the Freesat requirement.

What you say will *NOT* quite be true for some time! To make a "Freesat"
receiver manufacturers need a licence (and will only then get access to the
EPG specs etc.). Only 4 manufacturers have been signed up for launch - and
these are guaranteed some "exclusive" period.
Old April 7th 08, 04:54 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
jb[_2_]

"Gareth" wrote in message
Thanks. I've been very interested in Freesat and I don't mind too much
about the limited channel lineup (at launch).

im sure you are refering to the High Definition lineup which 'at present' is
very limited. However following the lauch of freesat who knows how many HD
channels will become avaiable..

I am merely guessing that many of the standard lineup eg itv (and c4 etc
when released from sky in the autumn) etc will clamber on board over say the
next year, simply becase - why wouldnt they?. Just my humble opinion mind
you!

Finally for the less initiated, these comments relate to HD transmissions -
The number of non HD channels broadcast digitally in the clear on Astra
curerently amounts to several hundred very roughly - including BBC 1,2,3,4
ITV 1,2,3,4 C4 Film BBCNews24, Sky News, CNN as well as loads and loads of
other channels (eg music channels such as Flaunt and Vault to name just a
few)

Probably at least several hundred, of the nine hundred or so, channels
broadcast on Astra are unscrambled eg completely free already... Please
forgive me for not finding the time to count all of them! : )

Presumably the new Freesat boxes will also be hotbird (13e roughly
1300channels) and Astra 1 (19e about a thousand channels) compatible - if
anyone wants to see other european HD (or indeed non HD) broadcasts..

hope this helps

jb

Old April 7th 08, 09:06 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
Brian McIlwrath

jb wrote:
: forgive me for not finding the time to count all of them! : )

: Presumably the new Freesat boxes will also be hotbird (13e roughly
: 1300channels) and Astra 1 (19e about a thousand channels) compatible - if
: anyone wants to see other european HD (or indeed non HD) broadcasts..

Only by accident! (Like the SKy STBs). It is NOT a design feature.
Old April 8th 08, 11:10 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
John Russell

"Brian McIlwrath" wrote in message
jb wrote:
: forgive me for not finding the time to count all of them! : )

: Presumably the new Freesat boxes will also be hotbird (13e roughly
: 1300channels) and Astra 1 (19e about a thousand channels) compatible -
if
: anyone wants to see other european HD (or indeed non HD) broadcasts..

Only by accident! (Like the SKy STBs). It is NOT a design feature.

They will have to include a manual channel system for non EPG channels. That
won't appear by accident!

Old April 8th 08, 11:48 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
Brian McIlwrath

John Russell wrote:
:
: Only by accident! (Like the SKy STBs). It is NOT a design feature.

: They will have to include a manual channel system for non EPG channels. That
: won't appear by accident!

Ok - not quite totally "by accident"....but if they cover all the symbol rates
etc. - and make manual tuning and selection of manually tuned channels easier
than a Sky Digibox that would be a start!

Still likely to be harder to use for multi-satellite than a more general
purpose FTA receiver.
Old April 8th 08, 01:32 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
John Russell

Still likely to be harder to use for multi-satellite than a more general
purpose FTA receiver.

How many Sat's are used as sources is already hidden from Sky users. Many
SKY users probaly think there is a single SKY owned Sat from whoch all the
channels they use come from. So Freesat will be multi-sat in the same way.

Old April 8th 08, 01:42 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
Zero Tolerance

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 13:32:13 +0100, "John Russell"
wrote:

How many Sat's are used as sources is already hidden from Sky users. Many
SKY users probaly think there is a single SKY owned Sat from whoch all the
channels they use come from. So Freesat will be multi-sat in the same way.

That's not what multi-satellite means.

Old April 8th 08, 03:41 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
John Russell

--

I do like it when people think they can "own" words. "multi-sat" means what
it says. If people have something particular in mind other than "more than

Sky Plus without a subscription Jomtien UK sky 6 March 5th 07 09:43 AM
SKY HD Subscription Steve UK sky 10 January 26th 07 09:50 PM
Second sky subscription David Bower UK sky 1 May 30th 04 06:15 AM
Question about Tivo: lifetime subscription vs. montly subscription; wireless phone jack system; cheapest place? Gary Tivo personal television 10 November 8th 03 04:12 PM
Question about Tivo: lifetime subscription vs. montly subscription; wireless phone jack system; cheapest place? Gary Tivo personal television 0 November 7th 03 05:55 PM