Sky+ hard disk upgrade followed by "not locked" on input 2

Old April 14th 05, 03:18 PM
critcher

"Tim" wrote in message
k...
Hi there,

A forum link re Maxtor 250 HD.

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/...d.php?t=199795

Tim.

"Tim" wrote in message
k...
Hi there,

Try this forum site?

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/...splay.php?f=35

Tim.

"Geoff" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Yeah, I think I followed the instructions pretty closely, and I've been
reading the AV Forums to try to find out more. No luck so far, only
the nugget that input 2 not locked can be a symptom of a hard-drive
problem.

I hadn't heard that you could only do one or two full system resets
before having to low-level format. I'll certainly be giving that a go!

Many thanks,

Geoff

why would anyone need 250 gig ????

on the forum at the top someone had 60 films recorded ??????? FOR WHAT
?????

Old April 14th 05, 04:10 PM
Tim

Hi there,

Because you can or like me you want a large drive so you're not constantly
having to upload films etc to you DVDR every other day.

Tim.

"critcher" wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...

Old April 14th 05, 10:04 PM
Paul K Hudson

I had the same problem lately, and it was down to a loose jumper on the
drive, if it moves you need to change it, it's very sensitive to that

PKH

"Geoff" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yep. I've tried setting the jumpers to master, slave, and cable
select, with no success on any of them.

Cheers,

Geoff

Old April 14th 05, 10:20 PM
Paul K Hudson

When a Maxtor drive has no jumper recognised, it defaults to "slave"
setting, which would explain it

Have you tried using the jumper from your 40gb drive on the 250?

PKH
"Geoff" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yeah, fair point. I shouldn't have used the word "recommended".

As to "decent manufacturer", which would you suggest? I only buy about
one hard disk a year, so I don't have a wide experience. I'm open to
suggestions - all I want is a big (ideally 250GB) quiet disk for my
Sky+ box.

I'll try fiddling with the jumpers again. I suppose if the jumper
itself was faulty, it wouldn't make the connection for cable select and
would default to something else. That might lead to these symptoms...
Hmm...

Many thanks,

Geoff

Old April 15th 05, 06:50 AM
Jomtien

critcher wrote:

on the forum at the top someone had 60 films recorded ??????? FOR WHAT
?????

Probably the same reason I have several hundred DVDs that I haven't
watched.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/6u4p9
BBC gone? : http://www.astra2d.co.uk/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)
Old April 15th 05, 06:50 AM
Jomtien

Geoff wrote:

As to "decent manufacturer", which would you suggest? I only buy about
one hard disk a year, so I don't have a wide experience. I'm open to
suggestions - all I want is a big (ideally 250GB) quiet disk for my
Sky+ box.

For PVR use I would always go for the compatible drive with the
longest warranty. So Seagate and some Western Digital models spring to
mind (5 years). Previously I bought Samsung drives when they had the
longest warranty at 3 years, and none have died yet.

Old April 16th 05, 01:13 AM
Clive Coleman

In message [email protected] ews,
critcher writes
I hadn't heard that you could only do one or two full system resets
before having to low-level format. I'll certainly be giving that a go!

I've always thought that a low level format with an IDE disc was risky
and should only be attempted with a SCSI disc?
--
Clive.
Old April 16th 05, 10:59 PM
The Simpsons

I would have gone with a seagate baracuda if I hadnt read various
reports that they didnt work.

Source of these reports please as I`m considering the seagate.
Thanks, Fred S

Old April 17th 05, 08:10 AM
Tim

Hi there,

The Maxtor PowerMax program wipes all previous PC partitions and information
off a IDE hard drive via its low level format thus making it suitable for
use in the Sky Pace V2 box. Unlike a Windows of DOS format which prepares
the IDE hard drive with partition and sector information for use in a PC.

Tim.