Sky HDTV without a new telly?

Old August 26th 05, 12:53 PM
Tony Josephs

Default Sky HDTV without a new telly?

Does anyone know if there exists an adapter to connect my current hi-res
plasma to the new Sky HDTV box?

At the mo the TV's tuner box has all the connectors on it (SCART, XGA etc)
and I was wondering if I could replace the tuner with a new one with a HDTV
connector?

Am I thinking straight?

Tony

Old August 26th 05, 12:59 PM
Brian McIlwrath

Tony Josephs wrote:
: Does anyone know if there exists an adapter to connect my current hi-res
: plasma to the new Sky HDTV box?

: Am I thinking straight?

Sky are now saying that the first generation of HDTV STBs *WILL* have
component video HD output. Your plasma is pretty much bound to have this
as an input source (on 3 RCA connectors)
Old August 26th 05, 01:32 PM
Tony Josephs

Yes it does thank you.

One other question. Will Sky produce a HDTV Sky+ box at the same time?

Cheers

Tony

Old August 26th 05, 01:41 PM
Brian McIlwrath

Tony Josephs wrote:
: Yes it does thank you.

: One other question. Will Sky produce a HDTV Sky+ box at the same time?

AFAIK There will be no choice!!!

The initial Sky HD box *WILL* have "all the functionality of Sky+". Any
basic one MAY come later (but it is also said that Sky would like to move
ALL existing customers to Sky+).
Old August 26th 05, 02:09 PM
Brian McIlwrath

Mike Henry wrote:

: They can "move" me to a HD digibox or a HD digibox with PVR features if
: they like. But they'll never "move" me to paying extra money (or upgrade
: my package to include premium channels I don't want) for the privilege
: of recording.

I think this is true of most people!! However see
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds23613.html
where it does say that Sky are considering the costs of doing it for free!

For the HDTV service (where no basic STB is planned) they would just need
to drop the 10/month charge.
Old August 26th 05, 02:13 PM
Mark Carver

Brian McIlwrath wrote:
Mike Henry wrote:

: They can "move" me to a HD digibox or a HD digibox with PVR features if
: they like. But they'll never "move" me to paying extra money (or upgrade
: my package to include premium channels I don't want) for the privilege
: of recording.

I think this is true of most people!! However see
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds23613.html
where it does say that Sky are considering the costs of doing it for free!

For the HDTV service (where no basic STB is planned) they would just need
to drop the 10/month charge.

I wonder if they are considering making Sky+ free for FTV users though ?

--
Mark

Old August 26th 05, 04:44 PM
Tony Josephs

Hi Olympus

I have a Philips 3spf9964
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/revi...ps32PF9964.php

The spec is

Screen size: 32in

Connections: Four Scarts (one RGB, one RGB/S-video); component (interlaced
only) and stereo audio input; VGA (up to 1,280 x 1,024, with compression)
and stereo audio input; front panel AV input, headphone output); VGA/stereo
audio output to PDP; RF input; extra VGA input and serial port (for service)
available on PDP

Specifications: 852 x 480 PDP resolution; 400:1 contrast ratio; 100Hz
digital scan; 100-channel TV tuner with auto set-up; fully multistandard;
twin-tuner PIP; 1,200 page Fastext; seven display modes; freeze; three step
zoom; 20W per channel stereo audio with virtual surround; digital natural
motion; DNR; active picture control; 'compass' menu system; Cinema Link;
timer

Dimensions: 435(w) x 105(h) x 330(d)mm (E-box); 964(w) x 512(h) x 89(d)mm
(PDP)

Weight: 4kg (E-box); 30kg (PDP)

Will it work?

Thanks

Tony

Old August 26th 05, 05:29 PM
Tony Josephs

Hi Mike

Yes, they might have seen me coming, but I bought my TV 4-5 years ago, at a
time when HDTV wasn't anywhere near available in the UK. So I bought the
best I could afford and "yes" it was way more than 100 (then).

Does that mean I won't be able to see any stuff in High Definition then?
I'm sure my wife won't allow me to spring for a new big screen TV so soon
.... damn ... (

Tony

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
news

"olympus" wrote in message
What is the max resolution of your Plasma/TV?

The spec is

[...]
Specifications: 852 x 480 PDP resolution;

Right, thanks. I'm afraid the shop saw you coming. Hope you didn't pay
more than a 100 quid or so for it! The fact is, that TV's 480 lines is
lower than the 625-line PAL resolution we've had in the UK for the last
50 years.

You do realise that it is down-scaling your CURRENT viewing from 625
lines, let alone the idea of scaling down hi-def (1080 lines) in the
future?

Old August 26th 05, 05:44 PM
Tony Josephs

The Sky HD site says

"provided your TV has a minimum native resolution of 720 lines and will
support 720p/50 or 1080i/25 you will be able to use the Sky HD STB analogue
component connectors to connect your TV and watch HD programmes"

So just to be clear is a 852 x 480 PDP resolution OK?

cheers

Tony

"Tony Josephs" wrote in message
Hi Mike

Yes, they might have seen me coming, but I bought my TV 4-5 years ago, at
a time when HDTV wasn't anywhere near available in the UK. So I bought
the best I could afford and "yes" it was way more than 100 (then).

Does that mean I won't be able to see any stuff in High Definition then?
I'm sure my wife won't allow me to spring for a new big screen TV so soon
... damn ... (

Tony

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
news