sky want the frak?

Old March 9th 06, 05:42 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky

Default sky want the frak?

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 10:52:01 GMT, Edster wrote:

It's not the first time they have done that, they did it with
Threshold a while ago. I think they're just experimenting with new
ways of advertising

It's a MISTAKE. It's OBVIOUS.

These things are done by computers that fire off at a certain time
into the programme - if someone types the time wrong, it happens at
the wrong time. It's an ERROR!

Old March 9th 06, 06:39 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky

"Heracles Pollux" wrote in message

I think everyone knows the difference between advertising on commercial
channels and advertising on BBC.
Adverts on the BBC are never in the middle of programmes or delivered in
such a way that prevents you viewing the programme.

Except here...

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:...ct =clnk&cd=1

mmm..

Didn't know that.
Not what we pay our licence fee for is it?
But then, when did we have a say in how it is spent...

Loz

Old March 10th 06, 06:02 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky

loz wrote:

Adverts on the BBC are never in the middle of programmes or delivered in
such a way that prevents you viewing the programme.

Actually they often are. The digital BBC channels now frequently have
voice-overs, "coming next" banners/DOGs and breaks during programmes.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/8vef5
UK TV overseas: http://tinyurl.com/6p73
BBC reception questions? ; http://www.astra2d.com/
Fed up with on-screen logos? : http://logofreetv.org/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)
Old March 11th 06, 01:27 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 20:37:36 GMT, Edster wrote:

Show us the pictures to prove this happens.

Show us the pictures to prove that what YOU say happens.

If you won't take my word then why should I take yours?

Old March 11th 06, 09:59 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 18:52:41 GMT, Edster wrote:

Your turn.

Great, now I'm going to have to watch TV all day until I see it happen
again just to take a photograph for you...

I may be some time. In the meantime, take my word for it, it does
happen - but like all mistakes, it doesn't happen often.

Old March 13th 06, 11:12 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 23:57:49 GMT, Edster wrote:

I may be some time. In the meantime, take my word for it, it does
happen - but like all mistakes, it doesn't happen often.

I bet I can provide several more examples before you finally give up
and admit that it has and never will happen during an ad break.

Are you having difficulty understanding me? IT DOES HAPPEN.
I HAVE SEEN IT HAPPEN. But like any mistake, it is rare.

obvious they're just monitoring complaints to see how far they can
push their customers.

No, I think you're just being paranoid. What would the point be of
running an end credit squeeze over something other than end credits?
It simply wouldn't be done on purpose. It's a mistake, pure and
simple.

Old March 14th 06, 12:33 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:04:11 GMT, Edster wrote:

And yet the same mistake happening the other side of the adverts, ie
during the programme itself, is very common. Even if you're not just
pretending you've seen it happen over the adverts that should tell you
something.

I can think of plenty of technical reasons why it would be easier to
make that mistake in a programme, and if it's so common then let's
have more pictures and times and dates of when it's happened, then.

Actually, what's all this "even if you're not just pretending" stuff?
How old are you, seven?

To gauge reaction. If there is little reaction that space could be
used for all sorts of promotional messages without worrying about
complaints.

Wow, I mis-judged you. "Paranoid" doesn't even begin to describe it.

I watched something the other day and the sound went off for a few
minutes. I guess that's a conspiracy as well, to see if anyone
complained, so that they can make people pay extra to find the bit
they missed?

Why, I should complain right now... Or alternatively I could recognise
the mistake as what it was and get on with my life.

Old March 15th 06, 11:12 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 22:46:43 GMT, Edster wrote:

If they weren't trying to gauge public reaction all programmes would
be defaced in the same way. They would think of a new way of defacing
them and implement it across the board immediately.

So because they don't make the mistake all the time, that proves it's
not a mistake?

Sorry, that's just so ridiculous I don't know where to start..

Old March 17th 06, 08:24 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:02:16 GMT, Edster wrote:

Bob Sherunkle wrote in message

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:10:08 GMT, Edster wrote:

You seem to be missing the point that the tv program and the adverts
that follow it are two separate items. A mistake could be made in the
programming of the 'end-credit-squeeze' resulting in it arriving too
early, but it's highly unlikely to arrive late as the 'item' it was
being added to would have finished.

Are you saying Zero Tolerance is a liar when he says he has seen it
happen to the adverts? It's interesting that this "mistake" first
started happening at regular intervals at exactly the same time as
their other experiments with defacing the programmes they show.
Presumably the moving graphics advertising other programmes are a
"mistake" as well?

I wouldn't dream of calling anyone a liar unless I had proof, which I
readily admit I do not.

On the other hand, it does seem to me that he is probably mistaken. I
can't and won't put it any stronger than that.

--
Bob
Old March 17th 06, 01:24 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 08:24:15 +0000, Bob Sherunkle
wrote:

On the other hand, it does seem to me that he is probably mistaken. I
can't and won't put it any stronger than that.

I totally understand the point you're making, Bob, and it's a good one
- but the fact remains that if a channel is cuing their end credit
squeeze by other means (perhaps even manually) and if those squeezing
devices are downstream of the adverts (which admittedly not all of
them are) then it can happen. I have seen it occur. As I say, it is
rare, and the particular configuration which could make it possible
may well also be rare. But I am not mistaken - I have seen it happen.