Sky 'auto standby' to roll out from today

Old March 24th 07, 06:25 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Jomtien

Default Sky 'auto standby' to roll out from today

DVDfever Dom wrote:

Basically, what happens is that the Sky button turns the digibox on,
the box comes on to the blue screen with the now/next info at the
bottom for the channel it was on previously (eg. BBC1) and then the
first digit of the next channel appears - in this case, '1' for '102'.

Try using a Sky-Eye Tivo.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/8vef5
UK TV overseas: http://tinyurl.com/6p73
BBC/ITV reception trouble? ; http://www.astra2d.com/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)
Old March 28th 07, 09:33 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
Dom Robinson

In article , {$mrtickle$}
@nospam.demon.co.uk says...
In , Peter Bunclark
wrote:

Roderick Stewart wrote:
Such is
the conditioning that has resulted from this that I have to make a
conscious effort to resist even when watching DVDs.

Bit like the subconcious reach for the sky+ fast forward button
when the commercials come on - even when watching live!

It's amazing how much PVR ownership changes viewing behaviour. TiVo has
a "go back 8 seconds" button which is brilliant, and extremely useful if
you miss a single line of dialogue. On one occasion I lifted my hand up
towards the screen, ready to press this button. Unfortunately I'd
forgotten two details - I didn't have my TiVo remote in my hand, and I
was in a cinema. :-)

Sometimes I've been watching a programme on my Xbox, gone to rewind it
similarly for a line of dialogue that I missed, and then realised I've pressed
the button on the TiVo remote when I was recording a programme from the TiVo
to DVD at the same time and I've just knackered that recording
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor)
Old March 28th 07, 09:33 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dom Robinson

In article ,
says...
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 11:21:47 +0000, Roderick Stewart
wrote:

I usually reach for the volume control when the end credits start,
thanks to the broadcasters' annoying habit of hammering my eardrums
with some raucous and often quite inappropriately cheerful
announcement about something I generally don't want to know.

Amen to that. I may have watched something poignant and
thought-provoking, often want to see the credits, then some stupid
self-important jovial ponce comes on and cocks it all up.

Particularly irritating right at the moment are the couple of
ridiculous nerks between programs on G2 and the ridiculous "comedy
superheroe" git on Gold.

BBC3's ****inuity announcers are truly hideous, one being a bloke who speaks
in such a strong Scots accent I can barely understand him and a woman who
keeps shouting and calling the viewer "mate" on the end of every line she
utters.

Oh, and then there's the 'onscreen next blobs' that appear towards the end of
a programme just before the annonucer babbles exactly the same thing, similar
to what BBC2 has started doing lately with a green strip covering the actors'
heads at the end of certain shows, the worst one recently happening at the end
of a Dead Ringers episode when the green strip was just disappearing while the
credits started and the announcer immediately said the same thing and talked
for so long that they drowned out the spoof continuity announcement that the
show used to do quite often and this series has hardly done.
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/*
Old March 28th 07, 09:33 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dom Robinson

In article , says...
Mark Carver wrote in message

Edster wrote:

According to the BBC, only 30% of a programme's viewers will continue
watching that channel after the end credits start. I don't know if
there is any truth in that, or if they just made it up to justify
their adverts for following programmes intruding into the programme
you are attempting to watch itself.

They often come out with that one.

In the Radio Times last week there was an incredible piece of arrogant
******** from some marketing idiot at the the Beeb. A viewer had written in
complaining that BBC 2 programmes now have a 'Coming Next' DOG that appears,
usually slapped on the forehead of a presenter, towards the end of a
programme. The response was a load of drivel with weasel words such as "a duty
in inform", and "..only following what ITV and C5 have done for a while". Eh ?
I thought the Beeb were supposed to set an example to the commercial sector,
not follow one of their more stupid ideas.

I liked the bit that said they had only received a handful of
complaints. As if.

Yes, a handful sent via carrier pigeon, but scores more sent via email, letter
and the POV site.