Sky 'auto standby' to roll out from today

Old March 20th 07, 03:01 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
steeler

Default Sky 'auto standby' to roll out from today

"Terry" wrote in message

"Ed" wrote in message
ups.com...
SKY is to introduce technology that automatically switches digital
boxes to standby mode overnight - slashing energy bills by 7.5MILLION
a year.

A lot of bull**** if you ask me !

If you can't back it up then nobody will.

Old March 20th 07, 03:12 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Conor

In article . com, Ed
says...
SKY is to introduce technology that automatically switches digital
boxes to standby mode overnight - slashing energy bills by 7.5MILLION
a year.

The boxes will go to "sleep" after 11pm if they detect they have not
been used for two hours.

How does that work? I can be watching a film over two hours long or
simply a string of programmes without needing to change channel. Does
this now mean my viewing is to be interrupted?

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........
Old March 20th 07, 03:58 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On Mar 20, 2:58 pm, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

If there were rules to say that " the standby current taken by any device
using Infra Red controls must be less than 1 watt", that would cure the
problem and not be difficult or expensive to do.

It would require (for Sky) a complete rethink on how their ongoing
subscription key authentication, and OTA software updating functions.
Both of those rely heavily on the assumption that the digibox is
listening 24/7 to a Sky Platform transponder. In other words the box
should have continuous access to the BSkyB SI stream. That requires
the tuner and LNB to be permanently active, hence, to within a watt,
the same power consumption 'on' or 'standby'.

Old March 20th 07, 04:10 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On Mar 20, 3:12 pm, Conor wrote:

How does that work? I can be watching a film over two hours long or
simply a string of programmes without needing to change channel. Does
this now mean my viewing is to be interrupted?

There's only one way it can work. It will sense whether you have
operated any remote control buttons in the last two hours.

Remember, these medja-studies zombies that manage broadcasting now,
imagine our attention span is the same as theirs, about 20 seconds.
That's why we have all those DOGs, end credit violations, and
continuity announcers shouting at us.

The idea that anybody should sit for two hours and not touch their
remote is totally alien to them.

Old March 20th 07, 04:27 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Fawthrop

wrote:
|!
|! If there were rules to say that " the standby current taken by any device
|! using Infra Red controls must be less than 1 watt", that would cure the
|! problem and not be difficult or expensive to do.
|!
|!It would require (for Sky) a complete rethink on how their ongoing
|!subscription key authentication, and OTA software updating functions.
|!Both of those rely heavily on the assumption that the digibox is
|!listening 24/7 to a Sky Platform transponder. In other words the box
|!should have continuous access to the BSkyB SI stream. That requires
|!the tuner and LNB to be permanently active, hence, to within a watt,
|!the same power consumption 'on' or 'standby'.

More fool $ky for not looking ahead.
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg

Old March 20th 07, 05:16 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Rick Marks wrote:
On 20 Mar 2007 02:49:50 -0700, "Ed" wrote:

The technology will be transmitted to Sky HD boxes from today and to
all Sky+ boxes from April - a total of more than two million. Sky said
Auto Standby could save enough energy to light all the homes in
Wolverhampton for a year. It could also cut UK carbon emissions by
32,000 tons a year.

They have electricity in Wolverhampton?

They will now.

--
Mark
Old March 20th 07, 06:20 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Light of Aria

"steeler" wrote in message
.. .

"Beck" wrote in message

"Ed" wrote in message
ups.com...
SKY is to introduce technology that automatically switches digital
boxes to standby mode overnight - slashing energy bills by 7.5MILLION
a year.
The boxes will go to "sleep" after 11pm if they detect they have not
been used for two hours.
The technology will be transmitted to Sky HD boxes from today and to
all Sky+ boxes from April - a total of more than two million. Sky said
Auto Standby could save enough energy to light all the homes in
Wolverhampton for a year. It could also cut UK carbon emissions by
32,000 tons a year.

Great idea. The amount of difference between on and standby may not be
much, but collectively with all the thousands of boxes it will make a
difference.
Hope they brace themselves for zillions of support calls from people
saying their sky is shutting off overnight though.

Actually on a + box it cuts the power significantly, turning off the HDD
and the fan. I remember someone hooking it up to a meter and posting the
results.

I have just down an experiment on my 500 VA UPS power supply system with my
setup which includes a Pentium IV 2.4 processor and 3 hard disks. My UPS has
a remote power meter management application.

With just the main hard drive running, the load was 17%.

Spin up drive 2 (+1), the load was 18%.

Spin up drive 3 (+1 and 2), the load was 19%.

Turn on the 15 watt low energy light bulb (also on my UPS) the load goes to
22%.

Ergo very subjectively and approximately 1% = about 5 watts which sounds
about right for my disk drives each.

I've had all 3 drives on for 3 years, LOL, but I've recently enabled the
power management to spin down unused drives after 10 minutes of inactivity
really to reduce heat and that awful whining noise one of the drives makes.

Anyway, nice to know I am saving a whopping 10 watts of energy even though I
doubt it covers the cost of my UPSs.

;-)

Hope this adds / helps.

Old March 20th 07, 06:35 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Hyett

In uk.tech.tv.sky on Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Mark Carver wrote :
On Mar 20, 9:49 am, "Ed" wrote:
SKY is to introduce technology that automatically switches digital
boxes to standby mode overnight - slashing energy bills by 7.5MILLION
a year.

The boxes will go to "sleep" after 11pm if they detect they have not
been used for two hours.

The technology will be transmitted to Sky HD boxes from today and to
all Sky+ boxes from April - a total of more than two million. Sky said
Auto Standby could save enough energy to light all the homes in
Wolverhampton for a year. It could also cut UK carbon emissions by
32,000 tons a year.

Just Sky+ boxes then ? I hope so, it'll cause chaos for communal
systems etc if it's introduced to standard boxes.

Not to mention I often record several hours of the music channels
overnight - the above will screw that up!
--
Paul 'Charts Fan' Hyett
Old March 20th 07, 06:39 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Ed" wrote in message
ups.com...
Sky said

Auto Standby could save enough energy to light all the homes in
Wolverhampton for a year.

But they already have lights in Wolverhampton.

Old March 20th 07, 06:45 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Enzo Matrix

Mike Henry wrote:
In , "Beck"
wrote:

Hope they brace themselves for zillions of support calls from people
saying their sky is shutting off overnight though.

They'll be pleased - remember, they made a PROFIT from their 0870
numbers. Every incoming call is more money for them.

No doubt that's why they do it!

--
Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.