Sky 'auto standby' to roll out from today

Old March 22nd 07, 01:29 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Gary

Default Sky 'auto standby' to roll out from today

Tivo can wake up a standby sky+ if you use the correct setting

This e-mail has been virus checked by Mcafee Virus Scan.
Telephone calls may be recorded for quality assurance and security purposes.
Shopping - the opiate of the masses - get your hit @
www.asmailorder.co.uk www.asmailorder.com www.flpaloeshop.co.uk
www.foreverflp.co.uk www.wholesaleflp.co.uk www.flpwholesale.co.uk

"Kevin Reilly" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 Mark Hewitt wrote:

I don't know how Sky works it, but what the Virgin V+ box does is that
after
midnight if the box isn't being used it shuts down the hard drive and
various other bits, but it doesn't shut off the picture it just puts
"Resting" on the screen at the bottom left.

Does the V+ box respond to channel change commands while in this state, or
does it need to be brought out of 'standby' with the power button? If the
latter, can the auto-resting feature be disabled?

I'm considering upgrading to V+ this year but would probably keep my TiVo
connected -- at least in the short term -- for recording radio programmes
to transfer to PC. But TiVo doesn't know how to wake up a sleeping STB

--
Kev
"Japanese Sushi sale, new and used Japanese Sushi.

Old March 22nd 07, 05:28 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Spack

David wrote on Thu, 22 Mar 2007 09:33:41 +0000:

Ed wrote:
SKY is to introduce technology that automatically switches digital
boxes to standby mode overnight - slashing energy bills by 7.5MILLION
a year.

As of November 2006 Sky had 8.26 million subscribers, of which 1.69
million had Sky+ (which include 96,000 Sky+ HD subscribers).

7.5M per year, over 1.69M Sky+ subscribers = about 4.44 per subscriber
per year, or 8.5p per week/1.2p per day.

Not much difference to the end user, but collectively it makes a bit of a
difference.

Which assumes that nobody ever switches the Sky+/HD box off at night. Am I
in the minority in that I *do* switch mine to standby? It's not that I make
an effort specifically to do so, I just have my Pronto configured with an
OFF button that switches everything to standby and I hit that on my way to
bed :P

Dan

Old March 22nd 07, 09:19 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dom Robinson

In article ,
says...
On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 Mark Hewitt wrote:

I don't know how Sky works it, but what the Virgin V+ box does is that after
midnight if the box isn't being used it shuts down the hard drive and
various other bits, but it doesn't shut off the picture it just puts
"Resting" on the screen at the bottom left.

Does the V+ box respond to channel change commands while in this state,
or does it need to be brought out of 'standby' with the power button? If
the latter, can the auto-resting feature be disabled?

I'm considering upgrading to V+ this year but would probably keep my
TiVo connected -- at least in the short term -- for recording radio
programmes to transfer to PC. But TiVo doesn't know how to wake up a
sleeping STB

Mine can. I have a Panasonic digibox but I told it I have a Grundig one and it
sends out a 'Sky' signal first, so if the box has crashed for any reason then
it'll wake up for the next recording.
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/*
Old March 23rd 07, 08:46 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Hyett

In uk.media.tv.misc on Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Dom Robinson wrote :

I'm considering upgrading to V+ this year but would probably keep my
TiVo connected -- at least in the short term -- for recording radio
programmes to transfer to PC. But TiVo doesn't know how to wake up a
sleeping STB

Mine can. I have a Panasonic digibox but I told it I have a Grundig one and it
sends out a 'Sky' signal first, so if the box has crashed for any reason then
it'll wake up for the next recording.

But what if it's already awake - won't it then be switched off?
--
Paul 'Charts Fan' Hyett
Old March 23rd 07, 09:12 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Sean Black

In article , Spack
writes

Ed wrote:
SKY is to introduce technology that automatically switches digital
boxes to standby mode overnight - slashing energy bills by 7.5MILLION
a year.

As of November 2006 Sky had 8.26 million subscribers, of which 1.69
million had Sky+ (which include 96,000 Sky+ HD subscribers).

7.5M per year, over 1.69M Sky+ subscribers = about 4.44 per subscriber
per year, or 8.5p per week/1.2p per day.

Not much difference to the end user, but collectively it makes a bit of a
difference.

Which assumes that nobody ever switches the Sky+/HD box off at night. Am I
in the minority in that I *do* switch mine to standby? It's not that I make
an effort specifically to do so, I just have my Pronto configured with an
OFF button that switches everything to standby and I hit that on my way to
bed :P

I don't, mine's on pretty much 24/7. I've got a TiVo connected to it, so
more often than not it's in use anyway.

I do switch my TV off, rather than into standby when I'm not using it,
unless it's only for a short time, then I will use standby, or if I'm
using the timer on the integrated Freeview tuner, which will only if the
TV is on or in standby.
--
Sean Black
Old March 23rd 07, 09:37 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
JC

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 18:49:12 +0000, Edster wrote:

According to the BBC, only 30% of a programme's viewers will continue
watching that channel after the end credits start. I don't know if

Surely that's more to do with the BBC (and others) appalling
timekeeping between channels, forcing users to change early to avoid
missing another wanted programme?

Rgds
Jonathan

Old March 23rd 07, 10:08 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian A

Paul Hyett wrote:
In uk.media.tv.misc on Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Dom Robinson wrote :

I'm considering upgrading to V+ this year but would probably keep my
TiVo connected -- at least in the short term -- for recording radio
programmes to transfer to PC. But TiVo doesn't know how to wake up a
sleeping STB

Mine can. I have a Panasonic digibox but I told it I have a Grundig
one and it sends out a 'Sky' signal first, so if the box has crashed
for any reason then it'll wake up for the next recording.

But what if it's already awake - won't it then be switched off?

No, not if it's sent a 'Sky' signal.

Old March 23rd 07, 11:21 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:37:52 +0000, JC wrote:

According to the BBC, only 30% of a programme's viewers will continue
watching that channel after the end credits start. I don't know if

Surely that's more to do with the BBC (and others) appalling
timekeeping between channels, forcing users to change early to avoid
missing another wanted programme?

I usually reach for the volume control when the end credits start,
thanks to the broadcasters' annoying habit of hammering my eardrums
with some raucous and often quite inappropriately cheerful
announcement about something I generally don't want to know. Such is
the conditioning that has resulted from this that I have to make a
conscious effort to resist even when watching DVDs.

Rod.
Old March 23rd 07, 12:25 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
Peter Bunclark

Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:37:52 +0000, JC wrote:

According to the BBC, only 30% of a programme's viewers will continue
watching that channel after the end credits start. I don't know if

Surely that's more to do with the BBC (and others) appalling
timekeeping between channels, forcing users to change early to avoid
missing another wanted programme?

I usually reach for the volume control when the end credits start,
thanks to the broadcasters' annoying habit of hammering my eardrums
with some raucous and often quite inappropriately cheerful
announcement about something I generally don't want to know.

And unfortunately sometimes across a final joke or closing scene
of the program in or after the credits.

Such is
the conditioning that has resulted from this that I have to make a
conscious effort to resist even when watching DVDs.

Bit like the subconcious reach for the sky+ fast forward button
when the commercials come on - even when watching live!

Pete.

Rod.

Old March 23rd 07, 12:38 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Edster wrote:

According to the BBC, only 30% of a programme's viewers will continue
watching that channel after the end credits start. I don't know if
there is any truth in that, or if they just made it up to justify
their adverts for following programmes intruding into the programme
you are attempting to watch itself.

They often come out with that one.

In the Radio Times last week there was an incredible piece of arrogant
******** from some marketing idiot at the the Beeb. A viewer had written in
complaining that BBC 2 programmes now have a 'Coming Next' DOG that appears,
usually slapped on the forehead of a presenter, towards the end of a
programme. The response was a load of drivel with weasel words such as "a duty
in inform", and "..only following what ITV and C5 have done for a while". Eh ?
I thought the Beeb were supposed to set an example to the commercial sector,
not follow one of their more stupid ideas.

--
Mark