Sky+ info?

Old May 18th 05, 05:08 PM
The Wizard

"Pam Gasson" wrote in message
In message , Mark A
writes

Rosie wrote:

OK, not a problem as we don't have that package. On my pension, I
don't think so!

Sky Box Office movies are the PPV movies and are available to anyone
with a receiver. They're not to be confused with the Movies package,
which, incidentally, unlike the PPV movies, are not Macrovision
protected and so can be recorded as is.

Ok. That's a new area for me!
And to confirm your previous comment, yes, the Panasonic would work well
with the Sky+ box.

Good news. As a matter of interest, you mentioned a 'copy' key on the sky+
box. What do I need to do at the Panasonic end to record from the sky+ box
to a DVD in the Panasonic? Is it simply just press record button?

What I do is press one of the inputs on the DVD Recorder that just show a
black screen,Press record and after 3 seconds press pause...Then switch the
input to the feed from the Sky+ box,Set up to press pause again just as the
programme starts.
I do the same with the end section too just to give that blank couple of
seconds (Also gives time for the DVD's heads to go to the right part of the
disc on first starting to record) :-)

T.W.

Old May 18th 05, 05:23 PM
Mark A

Pam Gasson wrote:

Good news. As a matter of interest, you mentioned a 'copy' key on the
sky+ box. What do I need to do at the Panasonic end to record from the
sky+ box to a DVD in the Panasonic? Is it simply just press record
button?

The 'Copy' mode is a menu option on the Sky+ box. What it does is allow
you to make a selection from the programmes already recorded on its
hard drive that it will then effectively play one after another without
further intervention from you. The idea is that you can set up say
about four hours worth of programmes and send them one after another
to your VCR/DVD Recorder. You'd just set them going and press record on
your recorder and leave them to it. Picking a single recorded programme
and playing it would only allow you to record that one programme. At the
end the Sky+ box stops and tells you you've come to the end. But in Copy
mode it would move onto the next one in the list you selected.

The disadvantage is that, as pointed out, any press of any key on the
remote cancels the Copy session. So you can't use it if you intend to
pause the recorder, say at the adverts, and fast forward through them
and then unpause the recorder to continue recording.

It's use is dependant on how you want to use it. Copying a whole list
of programmes might be something you want to do if you don't mind
getting everything that's on the recording, such is intros, outros and
adverts.

Regards

Mark
Old May 18th 05, 05:23 PM
The Wizard

"Pam Gasson" wrote in message
In message , The Wizard
writes

"Rosie" wrote in message
In message , Tumbleweed
writes

"Rosie" wrote in message
In message , Mark A
writes
Rosie wrote:

Where can I find detailed info about Sky+?

Sky's web site?

is it possible to take a program off the disk and write it to DVD?

Yes, either via RGB scart, composite video scart, or S-Video. There
are
no component or digital outlets though.

Is there a DVD drive in there?

No, just a hard drive.

If not, will it copy a program of the disk so that it can be burnt
a DVD?

It stores its programmes on hard drive. You then have the option of
saving them to VCR/DVD-Recorder at your leisure. It even has a 'Copy'
mode where you can make a list of programmes you want to save to tape
or DVD and leave it copying unatended. What you can't do is watch
another channel, or anything else off the drive, while it's doing it
as
it only has one decoder. But it has twin tuners allowing you to record
one channel while you watch another, or record two channels.

Regards

Mark
Great stuff Mark. Thanks for that. The wife has a Panasonic DMRE50
which
could be hooked up to the Sky box.
--
gillie

Just be aware you cant record Box Office movies to tape or DVD recorder
unless you have a macrovision-defeating gizmo.

OK, not a problem as we don't have that package. On my pension, I don't
think so!
Thanks.

Exact same DVD Recorder as mine.

I actually use the S-Video input/output to Sky+ from DVD Recorder, I've
found way too many Scart connectors from TV/Video/Sky+/TV starts causing
some slight interference even using high quality cables.
So much so, I've turned RGB off on the Sky+ box but playback recorded
programs in RGB mode from the DVD Recorder and without any noticable
difference or any interference.

Another point, Using the *Copy* button on Sky+ stops you Fast Forwarding
through the adverts...Just as easy to select the programme,Press play and
record attended so you can cut out the countless adverts on Sky channels.

T.W.

Thanks for that, something else to remember when we get this SKY+ box!
Do they fit a new dish or do they modify the old one? I guess we also need
to get rid of the old Pace Sky box as well. I suppose they don't do
trade-ins?

They will leave the same dish,It's just a different LNB with 4 inputs (Or
less techie 4 wites can come from it)
Sky+ box uses 2 wires,You could add an extra wire from the LNB and use your
normal Sky box in a bedroom or kitchen as an FTA box.
I'm not sure here but if you ask Sky to do it for you I think they put you
on Sky's multiroom (Which basically means supplying you with another viewing
card and another 10.00 per month)

Hopefully though,You could ask the engineer who fits you Sky+ can he JUST
connect your box in another room (assuming you want to of course)
Remember here though without the viewing card in your other box,You would'nt
get ITV,ITV2 Channel 4 or 5 in the FTV line-up without paying for an FTA
Card (A one-off payment of 20.00 last I heard)

You could still watch BBC1,2 all the shopping channels such as QVC,Bid.TV
etc..This would be on your normal Sky box remember!
The engineer that fits your Sky+ box will *marry* your present viewing card
to the Sky+ box

Of course if you don't want all the extra cabling and hassle with FTA
cards,You can always sell your spare box on Ebay or simply keep it as spare
just in case the Sky+ does go faulty.

T.W.

Old May 18th 05, 07:33 PM
Tumbleweed

"Pam Gasson" wrote in message

Thanks for that, something else to remember when we get this SKY+ box!
Do they fit a new dish or do they modify the old one?

modify the existing one by changing the LNB (black thing in the centre of
the dish.)

I guess we also need to get rid of the old Pace Sky box as well. I suppose
they don't do trade-ins?

no but they will run another wire somewhere else for that so you can use it
to get free programs, thats what we did.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old May 19th 05, 08:30 AM
Pam Gasson

In message , Tumbleweed
writes

"Pam Gasson" wrote in message
.. .

Thanks for that, something else to remember when we get this SKY+ box!
Do they fit a new dish or do they modify the old one?

modify the existing one by changing the LNB (black thing in the centre of
the dish.)

I guess we also need to get rid of the old Pace Sky box as well. I suppose
they don't do trade-ins?

no but they will run another wire somewhere else for that so you can use it
to get free programs, thats what we did.

But do you mean they use the old box as well as the new box? We don't
have room for both boxes.
Sorry if I'm a bit dim but my learning curve is now straight these days.

--
Pam Gasson

Old May 19th 05, 10:33 AM
Mark A

Pam Gasson wrote:

But do you mean they use the old box as well as the new box? We don't
have room for both boxes.

The usual idea is to stick the old box in the bedroom, or a kid's room,
while keeping the new one in the living room.

Regards

Mark
Old May 19th 05, 01:02 PM
Pam Gasson

In message , Mark A
writes
Pam Gasson wrote:

But do you mean they use the old box as well as the new box? We don't
have room for both boxes.

The usual idea is to stick the old box in the bedroom, or a kid's room,
while keeping the new one in the living room.

Regards

Mark

I'm with you now!
Thanks.