Rain and Sky+

Old September 22nd 03, 01:18 PM
Allan Scullion

Dale Richards scribbled:

:: For two reasons:
::
:: 1) Video tapes are recordings of programmes, *not* time-shifted
:: broadcast data.
:: 2) The technology does not exist to authenticate VCR usage.
::
::: The only difference is that recording to a hard drive offers
::: better features.
::
:: You're still talking about Tivo, or possibly some of the DVD-R
:: recorders. Sky+ does not *record* decoded images, it merely saves
:: broadcast data.

"Time-shifted broadcast data"??? Jeez you are funny.

"Sky+ does not *record* decoded images, it merely saves broadcast data"
What's the difference? (On second thoughts, don't answer that)

A video records a stream of analogue broadcast information to tape. On
playback of the tape it decodes this information into sound and pictures and
sends it to your TV for processing.

Sky+ records a stream of encrypted digital broadcast information to a hard
disk. On playback it decodes this information into sound and pictures and
sends it to your TV for processing.

The *only* difference is that the Sky+ data needs decrypted before being
sent to your TV. Sky+ could do this with the info on your viewing card. It
does not *need* to have a working satellite feed to playback. Sky are just
being extra paranoid (anal) about piracy.

This is where Sky+ is annoying. Live pause (for 5 minutes) a program that
is showing during that last 30 minutes broadcasting time of a channel (most
of the UK Style-Food-Gold channels stop broadcasting at a certain time).
Now try watching the program to the end. You can't! As soon as the channel
goes off air, the playback stops. You will miss the last 5 minutes. There is
absolutely no need for this.

I don't give a toss whether you think of it as time shifting or recording.

You say:

:: 2) The technology does not exist to authenticate VCR usage.

If it did, nobody would have bought the damn things!

Once again... "Sky+ does not *record* decoded images, it merely saves
broadcast data"

You are splitting hairs. Sky markets Sky+ as a recorder. You better phone
their marketing department and show them the error of their ways.

sigh

Allan

Old September 22nd 03, 07:21 PM

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 21:05:36 +0100, "Dale Richards"
wrote:

RCE Defiant said this:

Can't watch what I have recorded due to no signal because of heavy
rain. What a f*cking crock of ****.

As has already been mentioned in this thread, if you're losing signal during
heavy rain then your dish isn't aligned properly. Fix it yourself, or get
someone (who knows what they're doing) to fix it for you (e.g. a Sky
engineer or an independent installer).

Signal loss due to heavy rain has been a problem with satellite dishes
for years before the advent of Sky Digital and their saucer-sized
dishes. My 1.2m dish has lost signal on occasions during very heavy
downpours, as have many others. And don't try telling me it was
incorrectly aligned.

MJ

Old September 22nd 03, 08:45 PM
Gareth Kitchener

Jomtien said:

Xeryus wrote:

Why would you want to watch Sky+ recordings with the dish disconnected?

Presumably you mean "without"?

---snip---

Presumably you didn't read the post correctly.

Presumably you didn't either?

Go to the opticians. Move directly to the opticians. Do not pass
'Go'. Do not collect your £200.

--
Gareth Kitchener
Bedfordshire, England

Old September 23rd 03, 07:11 AM
Jomtien

Gareth Kitchener wrote:

Why would you want to watch Sky+ recordings with the dish disconnected?

Presumably you mean "without"?
---snip---

Presumably you didn't read the post correctly.

Presumably you didn't either?

Go to the opticians. Move directly to the opticians. Do not pass
'Go'. Do not collect your £200.

Hehehe. I had to look at this three more times to see "dish
*dis*connected"!

My reply to the question is still valid, of course.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/guiv
BBC gone? : http://www.astra2d.co.uk/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)

Old September 24th 03, 11:45 AM
Glenn Richards

Dale Richards wrote:

You're still talking about Tivo, or possibly some of the DVD-R recorders.
Sky+ does not *record* decoded images, it merely saves broadcast data.

BBC channels are unencrypted. So when they're recorded, cached or
buffered (depending on Where You Want To Go Today [TM]) they're stored
as an unencrypted MPEG stream.

Tivo stores recorded programmes as an MPEG stream.

DVDs store programme material as an MPEG stream.

Encrypted Sky channels are stored on the Sky+ hard disk as an encrypted
MPEG stream.

Are we seeing a pattern here? (Hint - the term MPEG appears four times
in the text above.)

--
Glenn Richards Tel: (01453) 845735
Squirrel Solutions http://www.squirrel-net.co.uk/

"Growing old is compulsory. Growing UP is optional." -- Anon

Old September 28th 03, 01:48 PM
Charlie Pearce

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 00:37:49 +0100, "RCE Defiant"
wrote:

You say potatoe.

You are Dan Quayle and I claim my five pounds.

Charlie

--
Remove NO-SPOO-PLEASE from my email address to reply
Please send no unsolicited email or foodstuffs