PR - Open TV to release 'timeshift' Interactive TV functionality within the year

Old August 31st 04, 01:41 AM
Dom Robinson

says...

"Dom Robinson" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...

"NO LOGO" wrote in message
news:[email protected] .mailgate.org...

Open TV to release 'timeshift' Interactive TV functionality within the
year.

http://logofreetv.org/?mode=campaign_news_read&i=160

http://logofreetv.org/

What an arsewipe, ****s like you would moan about something else even if

they did remove the logo's.

It's "logos", not "logo's".

Let's give it a go. Let all broadcasters turn off their logos for the next
year and we'll see what gets complained about next. I'll be happy when

they're
gone.

Just take it outside freak.

Perhaps you're a retard who needs to be told what channel they're

watching?

And when you've looked up 'retard' in the dictionary, you can carry on

with
your sister and your strap-on fun.

Have you not met Nige before, Dom? He's the resident misanthrope in
uk.media.dvd and provides endless amounts of fun with his banter

Yes, I've come across him. Gets rather tiresome after a while, IIRC.
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor), http://LeilaniWeb.co.uk (editor),
Old August 31st 04, 03:06 AM
Clive Savage

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:23:47 +0100, Nick Humphries
wrote:

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:10:42 +0000 (UTC), "NO LOGO"
wrote:

Open TV to release 'timeshift' Interactive TV functionality within the
year.

http://logofreetv.org/?mode=campaign_news_read&i=160

http://logofreetv.org/

Oh dear me...

====QUOTE====
LOGOFREETV warns that Sky Plus customers face this new menace.

The present supplier-customer model adopted by Sky is feudalistic. They are
the kings. The viewers are mere serfs who will be coralled and directed at the
command of their landloards.
====QUOTE====

Not in the least bit over-the-top... FFS why not just ditch Sky if you don't
like their terms and conditions? It's only TV...

Buy a Tivo instead! ;-)

Bye for now.

Clive.
Old August 31st 04, 10:35 AM
NO LOGO

"Nick Humphries" wrote in message

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:08:58 +0000 (UTC), "NO LOGO"
wrote:

Just to clarify that this is indeed the newsgroups for TV / Media /
Technology / Broadcasting and SKY.

And I'll clarify that this is a newsgroup, so expect replies you might not
agree with. If you don't want that to happen, stick to your website and your
forums so you can moderate to your taste.

Indeed: I stand for tollerance, for supporting the needs of ALL members
of the community, for FREEDOM of choice, for open-software
architectures, for free-open markets, and for the long term provision of
Public Service Broadcasting.

I can tollerate persons who don't believe in this. In life, there will
always be some people who don't value freedom, technology, democracy,
freedom of information, and open structures. If you are not pro-freedom
as I am, then, erm, that is your free choice.

And I'll take my views on freedom where I please with or against
opposition.

http://logofreetv.org/

Old August 31st 04, 11:14 AM
spammy

"NO LOGO" wrote in message
news:[email protected] .mailgate.org...

Open TV to release 'timeshift' Interactive TV functionality within the
year.

erm... isnt that sky+? whats the difference?

Spammy

Old August 31st 04, 11:47 AM
Nick Humphries

"NO LOGO" wrote in message
news:[email protected] .mailgate.org

Indeed: I stand for tollerance, for supporting the needs of ALL members
of the community, for FREEDOM of choice, for open-software
architectures, for free-open markets, and for the long term provision of
Public Service Broadcasting.

If you're for "FREEDOM of choice", why are you attempting to force a
private company to open-source their software? I am also
pro-open-source, but I think that it should always be up to the software
publisher to choose what sort of licence to release their software
under. That is freedom. Forcing them to release their software for free
isn't.

Old August 31st 04, 12:08 PM
Ian F.

"Nick Humphries" wrote in message
news:[email protected] .mailgate.org...

If you're for "FREEDOM of choice", why are you attempting to force a
private company to open-source their software?

No idea what that means, but it's pretty clear to me that the guy is one of
those individuals who seems unable to understand that commercial companies
are set up in order to make a profit for their shareholders. I find it all
rather sad, if not a bit spooky, to be honest. *sigh*

Ian

Old August 31st 04, 12:28 PM
Nick Humphries

"Ian F." wrote in message

No idea what that means, but it's pretty clear to me that the guy is one of
those individuals who seems unable to understand that commercial companies
are set up in order to make a profit for their shareholders. I find it all
rather sad, if not a bit spooky, to be honest. *sigh*

There is more than a hint of anti-captialist about him. He just doesn't
get that not all capitalism is bad.

And, going back to the freedom argument for a moment, the capitalist
system works in this case. You have a number of choices:

1) Take up the Sky service.
or 2) Take up a competing service.
or 3) Apply to work for one of the services and change it from the
inside (this part relies on you having a talent that the services want)
or 4) Start up your own service (again, you must have talent, as well
has money and/or backing).
or 5) Do without. You don't have an automatic right to these services
after all. You can get the same level of entertainment and information
from the radio or the public library, both of which are free.

Or you can just bitch and complain because you think the world should
revolve about you and only you.

Old August 31st 04, 05:43 PM
NO LOGO

"spammy" wrote in message

"NO LOGO" wrote in message
news:[email protected] .mailgate.org...

Open TV to release 'timeshift' Interactive TV functionality within the
year.

erm... isnt that sky+? whats the difference?

Spammy

Hello Spammy,

As far as I know, there is no difference because SKY (UK) is simply the
UK Newscorp franchise who brand the software and hardware products they
buy from within (usually) the Newscorp matrix.

What it means is that sometime next year - I would guess Tuesday 1st
February 2005 - Sky will be announcing that you can now access your
email, do shopping, and play games whilst watching Sky+ recordings.

This will coincide with the new inability to turn off the RED
DOT prompts - given past precedent.

Bare in mind that James Murdoch has set SKY+ at their core product
objective, they will suddenly want to secure the interactive AD and
application revenues from this new growing share of Sky users. You or I
would if we were suits.

http://logofreetv.org/?mode=interactive_tv

LOGOFREETV.org monitors industry sources and trends concerning set top
boxes, and there is lots of information about what is happening in the
US and other markets in this link. It all filters down to us here
eventually.

http://logofreetv.org/

Old August 31st 04, 05:55 PM
NO LOGO

If you're for "FREEDOM of choice", why are you attempting to force a
private company to open-source their software? I am also
pro-open-source, but I think that it should always be up to the software
publisher to choose what sort of licence to release their software
under. That is freedom. Forcing them to release their software for free
isn't.

Both Ian and Nick want to argue by atributing their views or
counter-views to me or others without even the other side saying
anything.

Such a conversation is almost akin to one of those MSN Messenger bots
one sometimes gets.

If you want a sensible argument, let's do it without the hysteria, bad
lanaguage, slurring, and subjective allocation of views and opinions
that have not been expressed.

I have not any where said anything to the kind of "Forcing them to
release their software for free".

Before we continue, will Nick please withdraw his statement to this
effect?

http://logofreetv.org/

Old August 31st 04, 06:14 PM
Nick Humphries

"NO LOGO" wrote in message
news:[email protected] .mailgate.org

I have not any where said anything to the kind of "Forcing them to
release their software for free".

Before we continue, will Nick please withdraw his statement to this
effect?

I stand by my statement, unless I've misunderstood the implications of
your statements on your website:

====
Open TV is the closed-source proprietory software company (not open at
all) that provides the software that drives the Sky digi-boxes operating
system
====

Why mention the closed-source aspect at all? "Open TV" doesn't in any
way imply open source to me, any more so than the Open University. The
tone of your statement read like a sneer against the closed-source
development model, the tone of which I've seen a lot from fanatics
previously.

====
6. Only 'licensed' developers can write Interactive TV code.
====

And this is bad how? Coupled with the earlier sentence it did sound like
a dig at the closed-source model from an advocate of open-source
software.

Perhaps some clarification on your website is in order.