Sky+ info?

Old May 16th 05, 02:37 PM
Rosie

Default Sky+ info?

Where can I find detailed info about Sky+? The Sky leaflets they send
out don't give much detail at all.
I'm looking for stuff like - is it possible to take a program off the
disk and write it to DVD? I there a DVD drive in there? If not, will it
copy a program of the disk so that it can be burnt to a DVD?
Thanks.
--
gillie

Old May 16th 05, 03:07 PM
Mark A

Rosie wrote:

Where can I find detailed info about Sky+?

Sky's web site?

is it possible to take a program off the disk and write it to DVD?

Yes, either via RGB scart, composite video scart, or S-Video. There are
no component or digital outlets though.

Is there a DVD drive in there?

No, just a hard drive.

If not, will it copy a program of the disk so that it can be burnt to
a DVD?

It stores its programmes on hard drive. You then have the option of
saving them to VCR/DVD-Recorder at your leisure. It even has a 'Copy'
mode where you can make a list of programmes you want to save to tape
or DVD and leave it copying unatended. What you can't do is watch
another channel, or anything else off the drive, while it's doing it as
it only has one decoder. But it has twin tuners allowing you to record
one channel while you watch another, or record two channels.

Regards

Mark
Old May 16th 05, 03:39 PM
Rosie

In message , Mark A
writes
Rosie wrote:

[...]

Great stuff Mark. Thanks for that. The wife has a Panasonic DMRE50 which
could be hooked up to the Sky box.
--
gillie

Old May 16th 05, 04:22 PM
Tumbleweed

"Rosie" wrote in message
In message , Mark A
writes
Rosie wrote:

[...]

Just be aware you cant record Box Office movies to tape or DVD recorder
unless you have a macrovision-defeating gizmo.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old May 16th 05, 04:39 PM
Rosie

In message , Tumbleweed
writes

"Rosie" wrote in message
In message , Mark A
writes
Rosie wrote:

[...]

OK, not a problem as we don't have that package. On my pension, I don't
think so!
Thanks.
--
gillie

Old May 16th 05, 05:07 PM
Tumbleweed

"Rosie" wrote in message

Just be aware you cant record Box Office movies to tape or DVD recorder
unless you have a macrovision-defeating gizmo.

OK, not a problem as we don't have that package. On my pension, I don't
think so!
Thanks.
--
gillie

No package AFAIK for box office movies, they are the ones that are 3.50
each to see.

Old May 16th 05, 05:08 PM
The Wizard

"Rosie" wrote in message
In message , Tumbleweed
writes

"Rosie" wrote in message
In message , Mark A
writes
Rosie wrote:

[...]

Exact same DVD Recorder as mine.

I actually use the S-Video input/output to Sky+ from DVD Recorder, I've
found way too many Scart connectors from TV/Video/Sky+/TV starts causing
some slight interference even using high quality cables.
So much so, I've turned RGB off on the Sky+ box but playback recorded
programs in RGB mode from the DVD Recorder and without any noticable
difference or any interference.

Another point, Using the *Copy* button on Sky+ stops you Fast Forwarding
through the adverts...Just as easy to select the programme,Press play and
record attended so you can cut out the countless adverts on Sky channels.

T.W.

Old May 16th 05, 05:15 PM
Mark A

Rosie wrote:

OK, not a problem as we don't have that package. On my pension, I
don't think so!

Sky Box Office movies are the PPV movies and are available to anyone
with a receiver. They're not to be confused with the Movies package,
which, incidentally, unlike the PPV movies, are not Macrovision
protected and so can be recorded as is.

And to confirm your previous comment, yes, the Panasonic would work well
with the Sky+ box.

Regards

Mark
Old May 18th 05, 04:46 PM
Pam Gasson

In message , Mark A
writes

Rosie wrote:

OK, not a problem as we don't have that package. On my pension, I
don't think so!

Sky Box Office movies are the PPV movies and are available to anyone
with a receiver. They're not to be confused with the Movies package,
which, incidentally, unlike the PPV movies, are not Macrovision
protected and so can be recorded as is.

Ok. That's a new area for me!
And to confirm your previous comment, yes, the Panasonic would work well
with the Sky+ box.

Good news. As a matter of interest, you mentioned a 'copy' key on the
sky+ box. What do I need to do at the Panasonic end to record from the
sky+ box to a DVD in the Panasonic? Is it simply just press record
button?
Thanks.

--
Pam Gasson

Old May 18th 05, 04:51 PM
Pam Gasson

In message , The Wizard
writes

"Rosie" wrote in message
In message , Tumbleweed
writes

"Rosie" wrote in message
In message , Mark A
writes
Rosie wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that, something else to remember when we get this SKY+ box!

Do they fit a new dish or do they modify the old one? I guess we also
need to get rid of the old Pace Sky box as well. I suppose they don't do
trade-ins?
Thanks again for advice.
--
Pam Gasson