Digital Box off Ethernet

Old October 7th 08, 04:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
CS

Default Digital Box off Ethernet

The place I stay has just revamped the rooms and installed a freeview
box which gets its input from a network cat 5 type connection. Box
has a label - Yuxino YX - 5921A (T401) on underside and very little
else. Outputs are composite, svideo and component, analogue and
digital audio. On the front there is a USB socket. I wonder if the
USB can feed into a laptop - just as a Hauppauge Wintv USB machine
does???

Any ideas out there???
Old October 7th 08, 04:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robert Wilson[_2_]

CS wrote:
The place I stay has just revamped the rooms and installed a freeview
box which gets its input from a network cat 5 type connection. Box
has a label - Yuxino YX - 5921A (T401) on underside and very little
else. Outputs are composite, svideo and component, analogue and
digital audio. On the front there is a USB socket. I wonder if the
USB can feed into a laptop - just as a Hauppauge Wintv USB machine
does???

Any ideas out there???

Now that does sound interesting. Delivery of DVB-T via Ethernet. I am
doing that in my home but did'nt know it had gone mainstream now.

Eve heard of MythTV?

Rob.
Old October 7th 08, 04:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian C

Robert Wilson wrote:
CS wrote:
The place I stay has just revamped the rooms and installed a freeview
box which gets its input from a network cat 5 type connection. Box
has a label - Yuxino YX - 5921A (T401) on underside and very little
else. Outputs are composite, svideo and component, analogue and
digital audio. On the front there is a USB socket. I wonder if the
USB can feed into a laptop - just as a Hauppauge Wintv USB machine
does???

Any ideas out there???

Now that does sound interesting. Delivery of DVB-T via Ethernet. I am
doing that in my home but did'nt know it had gone mainstream now.

Eve heard of MythTV?

Rob.

This sounds similar to IPTV Amino kit used in Travelodge hotels.

http://www.aminocom.com

--
Adrian C
Old October 7th 08, 04:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Carpy

"CS" wrote in message
The place I stay has just revamped the rooms and installed a freeview
box which gets its input from a network cat 5 type connection. Box
has a label - Yuxino YX - 5921A (T401) on underside and very little
else. Outputs are composite, svideo and component, analogue and
digital audio. On the front there is a USB socket. I wonder if the
USB can feed into a laptop - just as a Hauppauge Wintv USB machine
does???

Any ideas out there???

It's just an IPTV box. Basically a mini PC so you could use the USB in the
normal way you would on your PC, or put on a hub to get more ports.

Old October 7th 08, 05:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robert Wilson[_2_]

Adrian C wrote:
Robert Wilson wrote:
CS wrote:
The place I stay has just revamped the rooms and installed a freeview
box which gets its input from a network cat 5 type connection. Box
has a label - Yuxino YX - 5921A (T401) on underside and very little
else. Outputs are composite, svideo and component, analogue and
digital audio. On the front there is a USB socket. I wonder if the
USB can feed into a laptop - just as a Hauppauge Wintv USB machine
does???

Any ideas out there???

Now that does sound interesting. Delivery of DVB-T via Ethernet. I
am doing that in my home but did'nt know it had gone mainstream now.

Eve heard of MythTV?

Rob.

This sounds similar to IPTV Amino kit used in Travelodge hotels.

http://www.aminocom.com

I wish MythTV would go down the Multicast IP route so that you can
stream numerous Muxes over local IP network. Actually it's easy to do
this with VLC (www.vlc.org) but presenting it in a non-tech-friendly
format is the key here. EPG is fairly straightforward by using the
Radio Times XML feed, or the good old MHEG feed over air.

I feel a sourceforge project coming on, so I do. Client hardware is
abundant and inexpensive. Server does not have to be that beefy, but it
is a good idead to have IGMP aware network switches to avoid flooding
the network too much data such that other services can co-exist like VoIP.

Sorry if you think this is a bit OT but it is relevant-ish.

Rob.
Old October 7th 08, 11:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
CS

OK - so can I plug the ethernet cable into my laptop???

Old October 8th 08, 12:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
mr deo

"CS" wrote in message
OK - so can I plug the ethernet cable into my laptop???

The ethernet fromt he wall, possibly, try it and see ;P...
I would be wary of something however, if this "digital box" doesnt have a
power supply then it's probably got a built in POE adapter (Power over
Ethernet) and you'll burn out your laptops ethernet port.
it might be impossible to configure it all to work without you using the
dedicated software(firmware) that they are using too...

Old October 8th 08, 09:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robert Wilson[_2_]

mr deo wrote:
"CS" wrote in message
OK - so can I plug the ethernet cable into my laptop???

The ethernet fromt he wall, possibly, try it and see ;P...
I would be wary of something however, if this "digital box" doesnt have a
power supply then it's probably got a built in POE adapter (Power over
Ethernet) and you'll burn out your laptops ethernet port.
it might be impossible to configure it all to work without you using the
dedicated software(firmware) that they are using too...

Yes I would second that, be very careful doing that. You could try a
cheap and nasty Ethernet USB dongle and see if it picks up a lease from
the network, but I would wager that their network that is delivering
IPTV to your room is not connected to the outside world, or there is a
security feature that will not allow any tom dick or harry to connect to
their network, possibly based on Mac addresses of connected clients.

Sincerely,

Rob.
Old October 8th 08, 10:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D.Smith

....snip...

I wish MythTV would go down the Multicast IP route so that you can stream
numerous Muxes over local IP network. Actually it's easy to do this with
VLC (www.vlc.org) but presenting it in a non-tech-friendly format is the
key here. EPG is fairly straightforward by using the Radio Times XML
feed, or the good old MHEG feed over air.

I feel a sourceforge project coming on, so I do. Client hardware is
abundant and inexpensive. Server does not have to be that beefy, but it
is a good idead to have IGMP aware network switches to avoid flooding the
network too much data such that other services can co-exist like VoIP.

I think the last part of your suggestion is the key here - switching
hardware that supports multicast-IP. It's not readily available at present.

Paul DS.

Old October 8th 08, 10:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robert Wilson[_2_]

Paul D.Smith wrote:
...snip...

I wish MythTV would go down the Multicast IP route so that you can
stream numerous Muxes over local IP network. Actually it's easy to do
this with VLC (www.vlc.org) but presenting it in a non-tech-friendly
format is the key here. EPG is fairly straightforward by using the
Radio Times XML feed, or the good old MHEG feed over air.

I feel a sourceforge project coming on, so I do. Client hardware is
abundant and inexpensive. Server does not have to be that beefy, but
it is a good idead to have IGMP aware network switches to avoid
flooding the network too much data such that other services can
co-exist like VoIP.

I think the last part of your suggestion is the key here - switching
hardware that supports multicast-IP. It's not readily available at
present.

Paul DS.

Actually it's more common than you think. There are numerous cheap Gb
switches that are IGMP aware around. This would certainly not be out of
the way for a hotel installing such a system for VoD and what have you.
I've even toyed with the idea for my place, and i'm not Rothschild.

Actually I have a cheap ADSL router that is IGMP switching aware on its
ports. The one from solwise.co.uk I have found has lots of these
feaures like this.

Sincerely,

Rob.