Comcast/Motorola DVR box and Ethernet connection?

Old December 24th 04, 07:35 AM
Randy

Default Comcast/Motorola DVR box and Ethernet connection?

Just recently I have had a Motorola DVR box from Comcast installed at
my home. It replaced my older HDTV set top box. With the old cable
box, I had been told the DVI output was not enabled. On the new box I
thought I would try it out. On this box it is enabled and works. Then
I started looking at the other inputs/outputs on this box. There is an
Ethernet port, so what the heck, I tried to hook it into my router, to
see it I could access the hard drive via my PC. Well no luck, so far.
I have not even been able to "see" this device on my network. I guess
that's why I'm posting this. Does anyone out there know how to make
this work? In case this would help, I have a linksys router, and a PC
running Windows XP pro. I'm not even sure what I expect to accomplish
by doing this, but thought perhaps I could watch the files from my PC,
or maybe burn them to DVD for long term storage.
Old December 25th 04, 01:51 AM
Jeff Henkels

The Moto 6200 series boxes all have DOCSIS cable modems inside them --
that's what the Ethernet port connects to. If your cable company hasn't
enabled the box's internal cable modem, you're SOL.

If you want to record content to a PC, use the Firewire (IEEE1394)
interface; provide you have the right firmware rev on the box and the right
PC software, it should work. There are several threads at www.avsforum.com
devoted to this very purpose.

FWIW, I regularly record HD content from my 6200 box to a G3 Mac running OS
X, with no problems.