DirecTV's plans for the new birds

Old September 26th 05, 06:16 PM
proc

Default DirecTV's plans for the new birds

With DirecTV launching new satellites (99 and 103, in addition to
101-110-119), I was wondering if anybody knows what their plans are for
the new satellites?

With the new MPEG-4 upgrade and new birds (99 and 103) in the sky and
coming online soon, will HD programming on 119 (and 110 too) be moved
to 99 and 103? I have problems (trees) that limit my reception on 119.
I'd be overjoyed to see the programming on that bird go to the new
satellites...

Anybody know what the plans are for these new satellites? I really
don't want to go back to cable...

Old September 26th 05, 06:28 PM
Greywolf

"proc" wrote in message
oups.com...
With DirecTV launching new satellites (99 and 103, in addition to
101-110-119), I was wondering if anybody knows what their plans are for
the new satellites?

With the new MPEG-4 upgrade and new birds (99 and 103) in the sky and
coming online soon, will HD programming on 119 (and 110 too) be moved
to 99 and 103? I have problems (trees) that limit my reception on 119.
I'd be overjoyed to see the programming on that bird go to the new
satellites...

Anybody know what the plans are for these new satellites? I really
don't want to go back to cable...

Initially, there will be a trial of HD local in local programming in
Detroit. Shortly afterward, the other 11 top DMAs will be added. It looks
like it will be a while before anything but local spot beamed HD programming
will be involved.

Pat

Old September 29th 05, 02:04 PM
proc

So, the new birds will have local HD's only? The current HD D* lineup
will stay on 110 and 119?

Old September 29th 05, 05:28 PM
Jeff Rife

proc ) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
So, the new birds will have local HD's only? The current HD D* lineup
will stay on 110 and 119?

No and yes. The new satellites will carry some new CONUS HD channels
as well as LIL HD, but the current MPEG2 HD channels on DirecTV will stay
in place for quite a while (3-5 years is the working guesstimate).

--
Jeff Rife | "What are you looking at? You're laborers; you

DirecTV's Plans SAC 441 Satellite dbs 2 September 13th 04 11:50 PM
Birds on Aerial HB UK digital tv 23 June 20th 04 11:19 PM