CHANNELS FREEZING/DISAPPEARING

Old January 20th 06, 10:21 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky

Default CHANNELS FREEZING/DISAPPEARING

I'd really like to know what's behind channels freezing or
disappearing. This evening (Fri 20 Jan) I lost Sky Sports 2 on 402 ("no
satellite signal beging received"). Also down were a whole bunch of
other channels. But a load of others remained available.

Customer service are hopeless. I've spent an hour on the phone with
them before, only to be told to call an engineer in. I've tried all the
usual tricks (switch off, reboot, remove and reinsert card etc).
Tonight was typical: the channels in question came back some, and then
went again.

Now: I'm getting loads of channels perfectly. It's all off the same
satellite. So my dish must be pointing in the right direction.
Therefo either one or more of the transponders on the satellite has
problems. Or something my end (eg the box) is failing to decode signals
from a bunch of channels. Sky seem never willing to admit they have
problems at the satellite (too many people demanding refunds?) So how
do I tell what's the cause? Who do I compain to? How do I solve/prevent
it in future?

Old January 21st 06, 01:12 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky

On 20 Jan 2006 14:21:04 -0800, "roger888"
wrote:

Now: I'm getting loads of channels perfectly. It's all off the same
satellite. So my dish must be pointing in the right direction.

No. Your dish is actually pointing towards four different satellites
each of which have transponders pointing in a few different
directions.

Therefo either one or more of the transponders on the satellite has
problems.

No, it's quite possible for your dish to be not-quite aimed at the
optimum position to receive usable signals from all the transponders
that are in use. You will lose some channels before others - that is
quite normal.

Sky seem never willing to admit they have
problems at the satellite (too many people demanding refunds?)

Generally speaking, a problem at the satellite would affect all
viewers, all the time. You can be safely assured that this is probably
not what is affecting your viewing.

Who do I compain to? How do I solve/prevent it in future?

Who do you complain to? Erm.. Find out which government department is
responsible for wind, as wind can often buffet people's exposed dishes
and alter their position in unacceptable ways. How do you solve it?
Get someone to take a look at your dish and re-point it for spot-on
reception of all channels. How do you prevent it in future? You can't,
really. As long as the installer does a good job then all you can make
is your best efforts. Just like TV aerials blow down sometimes too.

Old January 21st 06, 03:53 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky

No. Your dish is actually pointing towards four different satellites
each of which have transponders pointing in a few different
directions.

Oh. I didn't realise that. .

No, it's quite possible for your dish to be not-quite aimed at the
optimum position to receive usable signals from all the transponders
that are in use. You will lose some channels before others - that is
quite normal.

Therefore, what you say makes perfect sense. I'll get an engineer.

Thanks for the advice.