Freesat from a sky dish?

Old May 8th 08, 07:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
housetrained

Default Freesat from a sky dish?

I have been receiving FTA broadcasts via a sky dish and a Fortec Star STB.
How can I make it 'see' Freesat? It does not 'see' Astra 2D. Can I force it
to?

--
John the West Ham fan C.E.T.

Old May 8th 08, 07:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

housetrained wrote:
I have been receiving FTA broadcasts via a sky dish and a Fortec Star STB.
How can I make it 'see' Freesat? It does not 'see' Astra 2D. Can I force it
to?

I don't understand. What FTA channels can it receive ?

The FTA 'Freesat' channels are exactly the same streams that the Sky box
receives from 28E.

--
Mark
Old May 8th 08, 07:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Michael Chare

"housetrained" wrote in message
I have been receiving FTA broadcasts via a sky dish and a Fortec Star STB.
How can I make it 'see' Freesat? It does not 'see' Astra 2D. Can I force
it
to?

Freesat is an EPG that only Freesat receivers can interpret. The EPG
provides links and programmes schedule data to those existing FTA broadcasts
that have paid to join.

The main benefit to your Fortec is that there are more channels that are
FTA, Channel 4 being the most notable example.

--
Michael Chare

Old May 8th 08, 09:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
housetrained

Well, I guessed as much. When sifting thro' the multitude of channels the
FTA are what 'Freesat' advertised. Needed is the EPG so I can set up to
record from 'Freesat'. Is there a card for sale that would go in the Fortec
star to make it 'Freesat'?
Anyway, thanks for all your replies.

--
John the West Ham fan C.E.T.

Old May 8th 08, 09:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Michael Chare

"housetrained" wrote in message
Is there a card for sale that would go in the Fortec star to make it
'Freesat'?

Unfortunately not. Humax are known to be making a Freeat PVR but it is not
yet available. Maybe July?

--
Michael Chare

Old May 8th 08, 09:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ron Lowe

"housetrained" wrote in message
Well, I guessed as much. When sifting thro' the multitude of channels the
FTA are what 'Freesat' advertised. Needed is the EPG so I can set up to
record from 'Freesat'. Is there a card for sale that would go in the
Fortec star to make it 'Freesat'?

I doubt it.

Cards typically are to decrypt encrypted pay-to-view channels.
I don't think you'd be able to get a card that added EPG functionality.

I think your options a

1) Live with what you have;

2) get a new freesat box and connect it to your existing dish.

It's not clear at the moment what 'freesat' badged boxes can be manually
tuned to FTV channels which are not part of the freeview EPG. That remains
to be seen. It appears that the Humax one can. This will all come out in
the wash over the next few weeks, I expect.

I, like others, am waiting for the freeview HD PVR from humax. Due in a
few months.

--
Ron

Old May 8th 08, 10:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Crosland

Well, I guessed as much. When sifting thro' the multitude of channels the
FTA are what 'Freesat' advertised. Needed is the EPG so I can set up to
record from 'Freesat'. Is there a card for sale that would go in the
Fortec star to make it 'Freesat'?

I doubt it.

Cards typically are to decrypt encrypted pay-to-view channels.
I don't think you'd be able to get a card that added EPG functionality.

I think your options a

1) Live with what you have;

2) get a new freesat box and connect it to your existing dish.

It's not clear at the moment what 'freesat' badged boxes can be manually
tuned to FTV channels which are not part of the freeview EPG. That
remains to be seen. It appears that the Humax one can. This will all
come out in the wash over the next few weeks, I expect.

I got my Humax HD Freesat box today to replace my defuncy Sky box and it can
receive all the Sky FTA channels by manually tuning.

Peter Crosland

Old May 8th 08, 10:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message n

I got my Humax HD Freesat box today to replace my defuncy Sky box and it
can receive all the Sky FTA channels by manually tuning.

Do you think this feature will get taken off?
Thought Freesat was meant to limit number of stations receivable.
Others do not do this I understand.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old May 8th 08, 11:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Crosland

David wrote:
"Peter Crosland" wrote in message n

I got my Humax HD Freesat box today to replace my defuncy Sky box
and it can receive all the Sky FTA channels by manually tuning.

Do you think this feature will get taken off?
Thought Freesat was meant to limit number of stations receivable.
Others do not do this I understand.

I don't see why it should. As others have said the raison d etre of Freesat
is really the EPG but the ability to add other FTV programs is a bonus.

Peter Crosland