GREEN screen on Humax PVR on powerup

Old May 6th 19, 03:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_6_]

Default GREEN screen on Humax PVR on powerup

Someone posted a query about this not too long ago,
and I don't recollect anyone coming up with an
explanation...

While investigating a different issue I came across
this thread :-

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/hdmi-...-2#post-116204
Old May 6th 19, 04:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
tim...[_2_]

"Andrew" wrote in message
Someone posted a query about this not too long ago,
and I don't recollect anyone coming up with an
explanation...

Hummys have Linux Inside, they are unlikely to "Green Screen"

black and white gobbledegook is much more likely]

tim

Old May 6th 19, 04:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
[email protected][_3_]

On 06/05/2019 16:07, tim... wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message
Someone posted a query about this not too long ago,
and I don't recollect anyone coming up with an
explanation...

Hummys have Linux Inside, they are unlikely to "Green Screen"

black and white gobbledegook is much more likely]

tim

When software goes tits up and writes garbage to devices anything is
possible.

The blue screen of death was when the software was working but didn't
know how to fix the problem.

Same with panics on unix.

I had the first blue screen in about 3 years yesterday.
Someone has screwed up the drivers for the IDE/SATA controller and
introduced a race condition somewhere that causes my HP laptop to blue
screen unless its running Cura 4.0.
Removing the driver update fixes the problem.

Old May 6th 19, 05:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Max Demian

On 06/05/2019 15:17, Andrew wrote:
Someone posted a query about this not too long ago,
and I don't recollect anyone coming up with an
explanation...

While investigating a different issue I came across
this thread :-

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/hdmi-...-2#post-116204

Green screen from Humax PVRs is just a sign that HDMI handshaking has
failed AFAIK. Nothing to do with a "green screen of death".

--
Max Demian
Old May 6th 19, 08:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
mechanic

On Mon, 6 May 2019 15:17:49 +0100, Andrew wrote:

Someone posted a query about this not too long ago,
and I don't recollect anyone coming up with an
explanation...

While investigating a different issue I came across
this thread :-

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/hdmi-...-2#post-116204

Interesting forum link, thanks!
Old May 7th 19, 07:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Windows 7 since a recent update seems to be very prone to blue screen if a
usb is a bit dodgy or somebody moves a device from one usb to another at
certain times but not others. Had me going a while, Since the drivers are
the same goodness knows what Windows update has done. I hope its sorted this
month.
These things happen due to the complexity of hardware and software
variability's!

Luckily you can reboot at which point it has no idea its had an issue, so
amnesia is also a symptom!
As for PVRs most of my issues have usually been power supply related.
Indeed stbs in general seem to suffer from naff power supplies or their
connections or the capacitors inside them.

Old May 7th 19, 01:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_6_]

On 06/05/2019 16:07, tim... wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message
Someone posted a query about this not too long ago,
and I don't recollect anyone coming up with an
explanation...

Hummys have Linux Inside, they are unlikely to "Green Screen"

black and white gobbledegook is much more likely]

tim

They do show a plain green screen, because mine does.

At powerup, it sometimes shows this initial green screen
for about a second, then back to black with 'hdmi'
flashing around the monitor for a couple of seconds and then
the live tv picture appears.
Old May 7th 19, 01:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_6_]

On 06/05/2019 17:12, Max Demian wrote:
On 06/05/2019 15:17, Andrew wrote:
Someone posted a query about this not too long ago,
and I don't recollect anyone coming up with an
explanation...

While investigating a different issue I came across
this thread :-

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/hdmi-...-2#post-116204

Green screen from Humax PVRs is just a sign that HDMI handshaking has
failed AFAIK. Nothing to do with a "green screen of death".

In my case probably caused by switching on the monitor after
bringing the HD-FOX-T2 out of standby then.