Interesting problem.... Is it my multiswitches or all of my technisat receivers?

Old May 6th 19, 10:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Interesting problem.... Is it my multiswitches or all of my technisat receivers?

I have technisat satellite receivers throughout the house all connected to two triax 17x16 multiswitches which in turn is connected to four quattro lnbs set as:

Astra 19.2 east on diseqc 1
Hotbird 13.0 east on diseqc 2
Atlantic bird 5.0 West on diseqc 3
Hispasat 30 west on diseqc 4.

Now everything works on all DVB S transponders....

Whenever I switch to a high band DVB S2 transponder on either hotbird or hispasat or Atlantic bird, I get no picture, with high signal strength but zero signal quality. However switching to a high band DVB S2 transponder on astra just works.

Interestingly enough, if I enter the transponder tuning menu and try to tune in a high band DVB S2 transponder on hotbird or Atlantic or hispasat, I can get the transponder, good signal strength and signal quality and I can get the hd picture. Exit the menu
Old May 6th 19, 10:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

And the channel is visible until I switch to another channel and back. Then no TV picture and zero signal quality.

I have swapped the two sets of 16 outputs on the two multiswitches over to each other and no difference.

So it's either both multiswitches are faulty or there is a firmware bug in all of the technisat receivers.... And they are all on the latest software....

Why are all my sat receivers the same make and model? Because they are all also ethernet connected so I can tune one receiver in, use a pc to copy the channel list for the one tuned in receiver to all of the others over ethernet. Saves hours!
Old May 7th 19, 08:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Could it be confused as to whether its allowed to view two on different
sats when they are in fact the same in on of the combinations. These complex
switching scenarios have always done my brain in.
I guess some sort of flow chart of testing might show up where the problem
is.

Old May 7th 19, 08:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

All of the receivers have just one lnb input in so no dual tuners or upwards....

Further investigation reveals that the problem is confined to DVB S2 transponders on the vertical high band that are not using typical symbol rates of 22,000 or 27500.

For example Dubai Sports HD uses 29700 as symbol rate and that tunes in ok via the transponder menu.

That's on hotbird vertical high band and DVB S2.

But when switching to it from another channel does not work.

The tuning settings are however correct in its memory.

As multiswitches are agnostic to symbol rates that seems to suggest that all of my receivers have a problem :-(
Old May 8th 19, 12:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

I have absolutely no idea as the LNBs I have are Alps narrow bullet nose quattros such as at https://www.amazon.co.uk/ALPS-Univer.../dp/B006GMI0D0

I chose these as you can have these close together on my multifeed dish so picking up two birds just 3 degrees apart is possible.

How does the local oscillator affect reception of DVB S2 transponders with uncommon symbol rates?

I don't know if an off-frequency LO affects MUXs with different
symbol-rates differently, but I have experienced a situation where a
high-band LO in a particular LNB had drifted off frequency
sufficiently to stop certain models of receiver (SKY boxes actually)
from receiving the relevant MUXs.

I described it in the last post in this thread
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/uk.t...I/XQTFm7PnRFMJ

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old May 8th 19, 08:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

If that were the case is it some kind of switching rates issue, ie, if
started at that rate all is fine but when it has to switch does it maybe get
confused. Sounds like a software issue. If this has worked before though,
then has there been a firmware update recently.

Old May 8th 19, 11:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Tuesday, 7 May 2019 14:07:56 UTC+1, Graham. wrote:
Wrote in message:
I have technisat satellite receivers throughout the house all connected to two triax 17x16 multiswitches which in turn is connected to four quattro lnbs set as:

Astra 19.2 east on diseqc 1
Hotbird 13.0 east on diseqc 2
Atlantic bird 5.0 West on diseqc 3
Hispasat 30 west on diseqc 4.

Now everything works on all DVB S transponders....

Whenever I switch to a high band DVB S2 transponder on either hotbird or hispasat or Atlantic bird, I get no picture, with high signal strength but zero signal quality. However switching to a high band DVB S2 transponder on astra just works.

Interestingly enough, if I enter the transponder tuning menu and try to tune in a high band DVB S2 transponder on hotbird or Atlantic or hispasat, I can get the transponder, good signal strength and signal quality and I can get the hd picture. Exit the menu

I am wondering if two of your LNBs are not playing nice with your
receivers. Do you know if the LNBs use a PLL LO, or just a
resonator (DRO).
--

LNB's just down shift the frequency - they know nothing of the signal structure - whether it is analogue, D[2]-MAC or digital.

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Old May 8th 19, 11:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

Wrote in message:
[...]

True, but I was wondering if the different modulation schemes used in
DVB-S and DVB-S2 (for example), might behave differently when
demodulated in an off-tune condition.

An analogy might be a quiet passage received on an off-tune FM radio
might sound OK but a crescendo would sound distorted.

OK, not a particularly good analogy.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%