Toppy 5800 free of charge

Old May 12th 19, 07:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

Default Toppy 5800 free of charge

"tim..." wrote in message

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 12/05/2019 08:35, tim... wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 11/05/2019 13:56, tim... wrote:

The mass-produced stuff is sold in the local shop but if it
is an item that was originally 'expensive' then it seems that
they put it on ebay to get the best price.

Who is the "They" here?

Charity staff to line their own pockets perhaps.

not unheard of, apparently

(one of the perks of being an unpaid volunteer!)

tim

changing the subject

I have a couple of laptops in the cupboard that I have stopped using that I
want to get ride of

There used to be places that would take these, refurb them, load new
software onto them and, do whatever it that they do with them

So Googling around

one says - we no longer take computers from domestic customers as we have
nowhere to store them. Hey, you take computers from corporates (for free)
which you presumably have space to store. Why can't you store a domestic
computer in the same place?

second one - minimum spec i3, WTF. The computer that I am typing this on
doesn't even reach that spec. You think the 7 YO one that I want to donate
is going to reach it? You really think that it's reasonable to expect me to
donate to some "poor" family who can't otherwise afford a computer,
something that's a better spec than I buy for myself? Well **** you (excuse
my French)

I shall take the discs out and dump them.

tim

Old May 12th 19, 07:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 12/05/2019 19:09, tim... wrote:

I shall take the discs out and dump them.

Magpie might take it, punch the spec in

https://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/start-selling/

I got 40 quid from them for a 8 year old Dell (Though make sure you
clean off the 'erased' space of the HDD, (or fill it up completely with
some sort of non confidential data)

--
Mark
Old May 12th 19, 08:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 12/05/2019 19:09, tim... wrote:

I shall take the discs out and dump them.

Magpie might take it, punch the spec in

https://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/start-selling/

I got 40 quid from them for a 8 year old Dell (Though make sure you clean
off the 'erased' space of the HDD, (or fill it up completely with
some sort of non confidential data)

21 pounds in good condition

11.70 (!) in poor

It's midway between, it's in good condition except that the battery is
knackered

I don't want 10.70 (or even 21 pounds) I just don't want an otherwise usable
PC to go to waste because no-one can be bothered to find a person
sufficiently desperate (can't believe that they don't exist).

It's got a 500 GB disk in it, that's worth 20 quid to me if I take it out.

tim

Old May 12th 19, 08:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 12/05/2019 20:29, tim... wrote:

It's midway between, it's in good condition except that the battery is
knackered

I don't want 10.70 (or even 21 pounds) I just don't want an otherwise
usable PC to go to waste because no-one can be bothered to find a person
sufficiently desperate (can't believe that they don't exist).

Freecycle / Freegle.

It's got a 500 GB disk in it, that's worth 20 quid to me if I take it out.

I'm not going to suggest sticking Linux on it, but give PrimeOS
(Android) a spin on that if you want a laugh.

Or, if the graphics are fast enough you could sling that beneath your
TV, or use it as a low power NAS.

If you want to dump it, remove the screen, keyboard and CD-ROM and sell
on eBay. For some popular models, you may be surprised how much you can
raise.

--
Adrian C
Old May 13th 19, 09:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
On 12/05/2019 20:29, tim... wrote:

It's midway between, it's in good condition except that the battery is
knackered

I don't want 10.70 (or even 21 pounds) I just don't want an otherwise
usable PC to go to waste because no-one can be bothered to find a person
sufficiently desperate (can't believe that they don't exist).

Freecycle / Freegle.

I know

I just want to be sure that I'm not donating something to someone who's just
going to go out and sell it, first

If that's going to happen, I'd rather a charity did it

It's got a 500 GB disk in it, that's worth 20 quid to me if I take it
out.

I'm not going to suggest sticking Linux on it,

I've tried, and failed to do this, previously

I can't get past the creating the source disk/stick part

(FTAOD I did reorder my boot sequence correctly)

but give PrimeOS (Android) a spin on that if you want a laugh.

I have Android on my Tabs, it is not a "laugh"

Or, if the graphics are fast enough you could sling that beneath your TV,

??

or use it as a low power NAS.

for what purpose?

If you want to dump it, remove the screen, keyboard and CD-ROM and sell on
eBay. For some popular models, you may be surprised how much you can
raise.

Hm

tim

Old May 14th 19, 02:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew[_6_]

On 12/05/2019 08:35, tim... wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 11/05/2019 13:56, tim... wrote:

The mass-produced stuff is sold in the local shop but if it
is an item that was originally 'expensive' then it seems that
they put it on ebay to get the best price.

Who is the "They" here?

I have seen a Denon TU-280 Fm tuner and a Himolla leather settee
on their ebay site in recent months.

which charity was that please

tim

BHF. The Denon Tuner was on their ebay site but located in
the Swindon store, if I remember correctly.

The Himmolla leather settee was in the Leamington spa shop.