Sorting out DVB capture as the deckchairs are being moved.

Old May 15th 19, 11:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

Default Sorting out DVB capture as the deckchairs are being moved.

On 15/05/2019 03:29, Bill Wright wrote:
On 14/05/2019 11:27, Max Demian wrote:

It's a reasonable expectation that communal systems will be kept up
to date. Are you saying that systems installed in the early 60s
should still not carry UHF? That systems installed in the early 80s
should not have been adapted for Channel Four? etc etc

Catering for COM7/8 might require a wideband aerial, much bigger and
mounted outside rather than in the loft.

Communal systems don't use loft aerials!

In that case my block must have an invisible aerial.

--
Max Demian
Old May 15th 19, 05:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 15/05/2019 07:55, Mark Carver wrote:
On 15/05/2019 03:29, Bill Wright wrote:
On 14/05/2019 11:27, Max Demian wrote:

It's a reasonable expectation that communal systems will be kept up
to date. Are you saying that systems installed in the early 60s
should still not carry UHF? That systems installed in the early 80s
should not have been adapted for Channel Four? etc etc

Catering for COM7/8 might require a wideband aerial, much bigger and
mounted outside rather than in the loft.

Communal systems don't use loft aerials!

Well m'lord, the UHF aerial at our lad's apartment block (we don't use
the word 'flat' in Hampshire) is nowhere to be seen, so I can only
assume it's in the loft !* Thankfully the satellite dish is outside.

Yes, well after I wrote that I remembered that of all the systems I
installed during my long, glorious, and distinguish career, two had loft
aerials. One was on a block of flats that had been built as part of a
new complex on the site of a Victorian Methodist church. The complex
included a new church and the aerial went in the little mock spire
thingy (well, bit of steep roof really). This was about 2km from
Crosspool. The other was a conversion of some flat-roofed flats to have
pitched roofs. The roofs included glass fibre decorative towers, and
since this was LOS from Emley they were perfect for the aerials.

However, I have solved reception problems at countless new build blocks
by taking the aerial out of the loft and putting it on the roof!

Old May 15th 19, 07:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
On 14/05/2019 11:27, Max Demian wrote:

It's a reasonable expectation that communal systems will be kept up to
date. Are you saying that systems installed in the early 60s should
still not carry UHF? That systems installed in the early 80s should not
have been adapted for Channel Four? etc etc

Catering for COM7/8 might require a wideband aerial, much bigger and
mounted outside rather than in the loft.

Communal systems don't use loft aerials!

Ours does

(Not making any other point)

tim

Old May 16th 19, 02:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 15/05/2019 19:35, tim... wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
On 14/05/2019 11:27, Max Demian wrote:

It's a reasonable expectation that communal systems will be kept up
to date. Are you saying that systems installed in the early 60s
should still not carry UHF? That systems installed in the early 80s
should not have been adapted for Channel Four? etc etc

Catering for COM7/8 might require a wideband aerial, much bigger and
mounted outside rather than in the loft.

Communal systems don't use loft aerials!

Ours does

(Not making any other point)

tim

Yes, I think my statement, 'communal systems don't use loft aerials' was
a bit like 'proper English chaps don't bum each other'. Sort of unrealistic.