ROT (for uk.tech.digital-tv) - Circular Saws, Blade Sizes

Old March 29th 19, 06:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Java Jive[_3_]

Default ROT (for uk.tech.digital-tv) - Circular Saws, Blade Sizes

I've just decided that I need a circular saw to help me complete the
mountain of DIY tasks that I've recently and unexpectedly come to face,
so, having a gratuity post-cock-up voucher at B&Q for £50 I started
looking there. Naturally I read the reviews of the saws that looked
promising, one of which was this ...

https://www.diy.com/departments/mac-.../592966_BQ.prd

.... about which someone wrote (referring to the bore size of the blade,
that is the diameter of the central mounting hole) ...

"16mm saw blades for this are not available. only 20mm blades available
and expect to be used with an adaptor but no suggestion of where to buy
the adaptor. no one at b&q knows anything about this. all you can do is
ring McAllister directly."

.... and one or two others have commented similarly.

Thinking that it would be a good idea to check on what blades are
available before choosing a saw, I started to scout around the websites
of B&Q, ScrewFix, & ToolStation, but rapidly got bogged down in
bewilderment. How many sizes of blades would you think were needed to
cover the range, say, 75 - 350mm on a rational basis? Perhaps one every
25mm, giving 16 different blades in all? Disregarding blade thickness,
there are 37 different sizes available over approximately this range!
Furthermore, many blades having the same outer diameter have different
bores! By now thinking that I needed to buy a saw where blades for it
are most likely to remain available, I counted the number of items of
each size over all three sites, and for the benefit of others I append
the table below.

Basically if you want a small to medium size saw for home DIY, etc, my
advice would be to choose one having one of the following sizes of blade:

Most Popular Circular Saw Blades (dimensions in mm)
Dia Bore Numbers of spare blade items available
190 30 22
165 20 21
216 30 14
250 30 13
160 20 12
210 30 10

Full Table

Circular Saw Blades (dimensions in mm)
Dia Bore Numbers of spare blade items available
65 15 2
76 10 4
85 10 2
85 15 3
86 15 1
135 12.5 1
136 20 2
140 20 1
150 10 2
150 20 3
160 20 12
160 30 5
165 20 21
165 30 5
180 30 4
184 16 1
184 30 8
185 20 2
190 16 1
190 20 3
190 30 22
200 30 2
205 30 1
210 25.4 2
210 30 10
216 30 14
230 30 5
235 30 5
250 30 13
254 30 4
255 25.4 2
260 30 4
280 30 1
300 30 1
305 30 7
315 30 1
355 25.4 1

BTW, if you're thinking 25.4, 254??? There are 25.4 mm to the inch, so
these figures are 1" and 10" respectively.

Old March 29th 19, 10:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
alan_m

On 29/03/2019 18:27, Java Jive wrote:

"16mm saw blades for this are not available. only 20mm blades available
and expect to be used with an adaptor but no suggestion of where to buy
the adaptor. no one at b&q knows anything about this. all you can do is
ring McAllister directly."

... and one or two others have commented similarly.

Some blades come with adapters

https://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/tct-c...de-165mm-at24t

https://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/tct-c...de-165mm-at60t

(20mm to 16mm reduction ring included)

For larger blades with a 30mm bore Saxton include 16, 20, 25 and 25.4mm
reduction rings with their blades.

Old March 29th 19, 11:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
alan_m

On 29/03/2019 22:52, alan_m wrote:
On 29/03/2019 18:27, Java Jive wrote:

"16mm saw blades for this are not available. only 20mm blades
available and expect to be used with an adaptor but no suggestion of
where to buy the adaptor. no one at b&q knows anything about this. all
you can do is ring McAllister directly."

... and one or two others have commented similarly.

Some blades come with adapters

https://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/tct-c...de-165mm-at24t

https://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/tct-c...de-165mm-at60t

(20mm to 16mm reduction ring included)

For larger blades with a 30mm bore Saxton include 16, 20, 25 and 25.4mm
reduction rings with their blades.

Plenty of Ebay listings for bore reducing rings.

Old March 29th 19, 11:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Java Jive[_3_]

On 29/03/2019 23:00, alan_m wrote:

On 29/03/2019 22:52, alan_m wrote:

On 29/03/2019 18:27, Java Jive wrote:

"16mm saw blades for this are not available. only 20mm blades
available and expect to be used with an adaptor but no suggestion of
where to buy the adaptor. no one at b&q knows anything about this.
all you can do is ring McAllister directly."

... and one or two others have commented similarly.

Some blades come with adapters

https://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/tct-c...de-165mm-at24t
https://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/tct-c...de-165mm-at60t
(20mm to 16mm reduction ring included)

For larger blades with a 30mm bore Saxton include 16, 20, 25 and
25.4mm reduction rings with their blades.

Plenty of Ebay listings for bore reducing rings.

Thanks for the information, which may be useful to others like the
original reviewer I quoted, but for myself I think it's more sensible
simply to purchase a model for which spares are easily available. I've
decided on 165 x 20 as having several models of saw which are well
reviewed and themselves easily and cheaply available, even up here in
the wilds of Scotland!

Old March 30th 19, 08:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

I'm sure somebody I know has told me in the dim past that adaptors for
common ID diameters often come with the saw. However I can also see that if
true, then they can also easily vanish into that mysterious place which eats
tools and handy little adaptors.

Old March 30th 19, 09:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager[_7_]

On Sat, 30 Mar 2019 08:14:13 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

I'm sure somebody I know has told me in the dim past that adaptors for
common ID diameters often come with the saw. However I can also see that
if true, then they can also easily vanish into that mysterious place
which eats tools and handy little adaptors.

I bought a Bosch TCT blade recently. The saw uses the 165mm blades, so it
has a 16mm shaft. It didn't come with an adaptor (the blade that came
with it had a 16mm hole) but the new blade did.

Old March 30th 19, 09:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 18:27:29 +0000
Java Jive wrote:

BTW, if you're thinking 25.4, 254??? There are 25.4 mm to the inch,
so these figures are 1" and 10" respectively.

Did anyone think that? Anyone at all?