Laser Levels (again)

Old April 8th 19, 07:46 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike[_29_]

Default Laser Levels (again)

In article ,
Java Jive wrote:
I measured
the space between the top and bottom cross-beams three ways, top to
bottom, bottom to top, and bottom of floor beam to top and subtracting
the thickness of the beam. Finally I was satisfied that I was getting
good agreement, measured the beam and cut it, allowing for the thickness
of the saw cut, and yet it's about 1mm short, so the new studs are loose
not snug between the two.

Try switching to "Measure once, cut twice!" ...

If you need it to be a tight fit, cutting it slightly oversize and
then test fitting/knocking it down a touch would be one way.

Or just add that 1mm in the first place.
Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk
Old April 8th 19, 08:26 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Mike wrote:

If you need it to be a tight fit, cutting it slightly oversize and
then test fitting/knocking it down a touch would be one way.

Or just add that 1mm in the first place.

Or buy a bag of packers

Old April 8th 19, 11:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 6 April 2019 23:05:08 UTC+1, Java Jive wrote:
I can't seem to find a reasonably-priced laser device, say £50 or under,
that will do both ...
Measure distances
Throw out a cross beam
(horizontal & vertical, preferably self-levelling)
... and has good reviews in Amazon, B&Q, Screwfix, ToolStation, etc.

Is there such a beast?

I've seen, for example ...

Level:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Distance-BE...f=sr_1_17_sspa

... but not both functions in one box.

Lidl have them maybe once a year at £20, although reports indicate they are not so accurate.
Old April 8th 19, 12:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

On 07/04/2019 21:43, Java Jive wrote:
On 07/04/2019 13:04, [email protected] wrote:
On 07/04/2019 12:33, Java Jive wrote:
On 06/04/2019 23:05, Java Jive wrote:
I can't seem to find a reasonably-priced laser device, say £50 or
under, that will do both ...
*****Measure distances
*****Throw out a cross beam
******** (horizontal & vertical, preferably self-levelling)
... and has good reviews in Amazon, B&Q, Screwfix, ToolStation, etc.

Is there such a beast?

I've seen, for example ...

Oops ...

Level:

Measu

*****https://www.amazon.co.uk/Distance-BE...f=sr_1_17_sspa

... but not both functions in one box.

Thanks for all the replies, I suspect I'll concentrate on the x-beam
for now, but it has been driving me mad trying measure up for the new
hot water tank and bath.* You'd've thought at 6'4"/1.93m that my arms
would be long enough, but what actually happens is that I hook the
tape under something, walk to the other end of the distance, and,
usually just as I'm leaning over to read off the distance, the other
end pops out, the tape winds up, on one occasion when I was too slow
to react even cutting my thumb sufficiently for it to bleed, and I
curse and have to begin again.

You need a better tape with more stand out.
then it will be self supporting over that sort of distance and have a
proper lock so it doesn't retract suddenly.
This one has a 3m stand out..

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-f...-measure/9999k

I use currently a Stanley 3.5m PowerLock 33-215 tape, but find problems
with it.

As already indicated, it's forever coming off from whatever I try and
hook it on.

The catch plate on the end moves, as they all seem to do* -* I presume
that is to offset for the thickness of the catch plate itself, about 1mm

Yup, that is intended to allow the correct measurement be take for both
internal and external applications. However it does mean if measuring
say the width of an alcove you have to make sure its pushed against the
wall rather than pulled from a fixing on it.

but nevertheless my measurements when translated into, say, a piece of
cut timber, can sometimes correspondingly be 1mm out* -* annoying if
it's a vertical stud, too loose and it's difficult to mount right for
nailing or screwing in, too tight and it won't go into the gap.* For
this reason, I tend to prefer to measure from the 20mm mark, but of
course that's not really possible when measuring a distance that your
arms can't straddle.

Alas many of the laser rules are only accurate to about 1.5mm

More generally, I have previously been in the habit of thinking of
Stanley as being a good brand, but some of the reviews that I've read
recently on Amazon, B&Q, ScrewFix, and ToolStation for various pieces of
Stanley kit knock it as being cheap, shoddy, and therefore failing

Stanley is owned by B&D these days IIRC. So chances are they use it to
badge all kinds of stuff sourced from the usual suspects.

early.* Their x-beam levels are a case in point* -* some cheaper models,
including the one I linked above, have a 100% or near approval rating
for between 19 and 40 reviews, but the Stanley ones get as many as 50
thumbs downs in 200, 1 in 4 or 25% negative reviews.

Having read the negative reviews of these x-beam levels, they fall
mainly into categories:

*:-(*** Model specific - build quality, etc
****(no problem there, just buy different);

*:-(*** Difficulty in getting the beam to be projected at 90 degrees to
the wall at the height that the work to be done requires;

*:-(*** Floating beam wobbles, while ...
*:-(*** ... difficult not to move beam off level when locking the
device to stop the beam wobbling;

*:-(*** Dimness of beam in good lighting.

What are people's experiences of these issues?

--
Cheers,

John.

Old April 8th 19, 01:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
[email protected][_3_]

On 08/04/2019 07:21, Andy Burns wrote:
Java Jive wrote:

Difficulty in getting the beam to be projected at 90 degrees to the
wall at the height that the work to be done requires;

Tripod

Floating beam wobbles, while ...

Mine only wobbles if you jump up and down near it

difficult not to move beam off level when locking the device to stop
the beam wobbling;

Better to leave it unlocked so the self-levelling can do its thing, they
tend to flash if the position is too far out for it to cope, the locking
is only for when not in use, or if you somehow want to project a
straight (rather than level) line without it flashing.

Dimness of beam in good lighting.

Red ones are generally ok indoors, you'll have to wait until dusk if you
want to use outdoors or use a reflective target, green ones look much
better never seen one in the flesh.

You could put my 2.5w blue laser in one, then you could use the burn
marks without needing a pencil.

The trouble I see is that they only project a straight line on a wall if
they are exactly level. Otherwise the line curves across the wall.
I have seen one where you hang it on the wall and it throws a straight
line across the wall at whatever angle you twist it to. I think that
they are probably easier to use.

Old April 8th 19, 02:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2019 07:21, Andy Burns wrote:

Red ones are generally ok indoors, you'll have to wait until dusk if you
want to use outdoors or use a reflective target, green ones look much
better never seen one in the flesh.

Use a detector if the laser can produce a modulated beam.