Freesat Dish Question

Old June 30th 08, 10:18 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky
Ed

Default Freesat Dish Question

Is freesat picked up by a sky dish, or does the dish have to be
realigned? In other words, can I pop out to argos, buy a Freesat box
and simply switch it for my current Sky box?

Cheers
Ed
Old June 30th 08, 10:26 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky
Mike Plowman

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 01:18:20 -0700 (PDT), Ed
wrote:

Is freesat picked up by a sky dish, or does the dish have to be
realigned? In other words, can I pop out to argos, buy a Freesat box
and simply switch it for my current Sky box?

Cheers
Ed

http://www.uksatellitehelp.co.uk/200...t-on-sky-dish/

" If you have already a Sky mini-dish attached to your house and
pointed at the Sky satellite, you can use the same dish for receiving
Freesat.

Just plug the cable coming from the dish to back of your new receiver.
Thatís it. No need to get a new dish or upgrade anything.

Freesat and Sky are broadcast from the same satellite. So the same
dish size and dish direction can be used. "
Old June 30th 08, 10:28 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky
Ed

wrote:

Is freesat picked up by a sky dish, or does the dish have to be
realigned? In other words, can I pop out to argos, buy a Freesat box
and simply switch it for my current Sky box?

Cheers
Ed

http://www.uksatellitehelp.co.uk/200...t-on-sky-dish/

" If you have already a Sky mini-dish attached to your house and
pointed at the Sky satellite, you can use the same dish for receiving
Freesat.

Just plug the cable coming from the dish to back of your new receiver.
Thatís it. No need to get a new dish or upgrade anything.

Freesat and Sky are broadcast from the same satellite. So the same
dish size and dish direction can be used. "

Many thanks. That's what I thought, but some bloke down the pub was
telling anyone that would listen that I was talking out of my arse and
that he could come and realign their dishes for them if people wanted
freesat.

Old June 30th 08, 10:32 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky
Ed

wrote:

[...]

freesat.- Hide quoted text -

And can I therefore assume that there is nothing stopping me using one
of the 2 spare outlets on the LNB to run a cable to a Freesat box
whilst also running the Sky box?
Old June 30th 08, 10:39 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky
Mike Plowman

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 01:32:29 -0700 (PDT), Ed
wrote:

On Jun 30, 9:28*am, Ed wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:26*am, Mike Plowman wrote:

And can I therefore assume that there is nothing stopping me using one
of the 2 spare outlets on the LNB to run a cable to a Freesat box
whilst also running the Sky box?

It would be, as they say, a piece of ****. If you can climb a ladder,
the job's a good 'un.
Old June 30th 08, 10:56 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky
Ed

wrote:

On Jun 30, 9:28*am, Ed wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:26*am, Mike Plowman wrote:

And can I therefore assume that there is nothing stopping me using one
of the 2 spare outlets on the LNB to run a cable to a Freesat box
whilst also running the Sky box?

It would be, as they say, a piece of ****. If you can climb a ladder,
the job's a good 'un.

Cheers Mike.
Why are there no Freesat PVRs for sale?
Old June 30th 08, 07:45 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky
The dog from that film you saw

"Ed" wrote in message

Freesat and Sky are broadcast from the same satellite. So the same
dish size and dish direction can be used. "

Many thanks. That's what I thought, but some bloke down the pub was
telling anyone that would listen that I was talking out of my arse and
that he could come and realign their dishes for them if people wanted
freesat.

maybe he had been drinking alcohol.

--
Gareth.

that fly...... is your magic wand....

Old June 30th 08, 10:36 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky
Krustov

uk.media.tv.misc
Ed
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 01:18:20 -0700 (PDT)

Is freesat picked up by a sky dish, or does the dish have to be
realigned? In other words, can I pop out to argos, buy a Freesat box
and simply switch it for my current Sky box?

TMK its the same bunch of satellites that are used .

Apparently there was a hack for one of the freesat boxes that allowed
you to add more FTA channels to it - or summit .

--
www.krustov.co.uk
Old June 30th 08, 10:28 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky
Mark Carver

Krustov wrote:

Apparently there was a hack for one of the freesat boxes that allowed
you to add more FTA channels to it - or summit .

Yes, the Humax allows you to add non Freesat FTA channels, but not to the
Freesat EPG itself. The other boxes currently don't allow that, but a s/w
upgrade is promised.

--
Mark
Old June 30th 08, 09:31 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky
News Reader

"Ed" wrote in message

Is freesat picked up by a sky dish, or does the dish have to be
realigned? In other words, can I pop out to argos, buy a Freesat box
and simply switch it for my current Sky box?

Cheers
Ed

Hi,

Just a quick thought possibly worth mentioning...

.... you / it is generally realised I hope that ...

.... FreeSat (SD rather than HD) is essentially identical to a Sky box
without a subscription except you get about 800 less channels...?

I.e. switching from Sky to FreeSat will just get you less channels. If you
just cancelled your Sky subscription you could continue using the Sky box
for all the free channels - which is substantially more than are available
using FreeSat.

I.e. everything on FreeSat is available on an unsubscribed Sky box + their
is even more (and a lot more - including interactive services as well as
hundreds of channels) available on the Sky box (with or without an expired
viewing card - and NO subscription - NOTHING to do with Sky... you don't
talk to them or anything... just plug it in [or if you chose to become an
ex-customer.... just leave it plugged in and cancel the service with them
and the rest of it with all the free channels [all those on Freesat + loads
more] continue - just without the paying Sky anything bit).

Hope that makes some sense and might be useful to you or someone.

Best wishes,

News Reader