Onkyo: outputting to zone 2 via analog

Old December 17th 05, 06:43 AM posted to alt.home-theater.misc

Default Onkyo: outputting to zone 2 via analog

Hi all,

I have setup my onkyo reciever to output to my outside speakers - but I can
only get sound via my pc or the radio.

My dvd player (which plays my cds also) is connected to the reciever via
optical and will not transmit to a second zone unless analog.

then I try to connect a second set of RCA outs from my dvd player to my amp
and it doesnt work. what am i doing wrong?

any ideas?

Old December 17th 05, 06:33 PM
howardhometheater howardhometheater is offline
Senior Member

Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK276
Hi all,

I have setup my onkyo reciever to output to my outside speakers - but I can
only get sound via my pc or the radio.

My dvd player (which plays my cds also) is connected to the reciever via
optical and will not transmit to a second zone unless analog.

then I try to connect a second set of RCA outs from my dvd player to my amp
and it doesnt work. what am i doing wrong?

any ideas?
Just a guess--is it an older Denon DVD player? I have come across a very few older DVD players that only output either digital or analog signals and not both simultaneously--check the setup menu on your DVD player. How old is the Onkyo? Try putting the DVD's analog output into an unused input on the Onkyo (CD in, for example) in case the receiver doesn't have an 'auto input select' status and accepts only digital or analog signals for an input, and not both. I know this has not been an issue for the past three years with Onkyo, but I can't speak for earlier models.
Old December 17th 05, 10:10 PM posted to alt.home-theater.misc

RK276 wrote:

Hi all,

I have setup my onkyo reciever to output to my outside speakers - but I can
only get sound via my pc or the radio.

My dvd player (which plays my cds also) is connected to the reciever via
optical and will not transmit to a second zone unless analog.

then I try to connect a second set of RCA outs from my dvd player to my amp
and it doesnt work. what am i doing wrong?

any ideas?

I just read a magazine article on the current Onkyo SR-503.....
receiver.

This is a DD 7.1 unit. Lots of Bang for the Buck.....

For the B two speaker output, it uses amps from 6th & 7th A speaker
set.

If both are used, the A set is DD 5.1, B set is 'stereo?'.
Old December 19th 05, 04:36 PM
howardhometheater howardhometheater is offline
Senior Member

Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Mayer
I just read a magazine article on the current Onkyo SR-503.....
receiver.
This is a DD 7.1 unit. Lots of Bang for the Buck.....
For the B two speaker output, it uses amps from 6th & 7th A speaker
set.

If both are used, the A set is DD 5.1, B set is 'stereo?'.
Not quite. In this configuration, the speaker B set will only output the Left/Right channels of the A set, as you put it. So if you're listening to the main (A) system in 5.1 and your B speakers are in another room, they will not have full stereo signal, just the Left/Right part of the 5.1 sound (no center information, no surround information). Only when you set the system to 'stereo' would you hear full-range sound out of the A Left/Right (only) and B Left/Right speakers. This is not just an Onkyo limitation--it is nearly universal among receivers--I run into this constantly with DIY clients who can't understand why their B speakers don't sound right when they're listening to surround in the main room.
Old December 20th 05, 07:31 AM
howardhometheater howardhometheater is offline
Senior Member

Location: Cleveland, Ohio

[quote=howardhometheater]

I forgot to mention that this does NOT apply to receivers with a true Zone 2 output (Onkyo and others) where the surround back amps can be used to power a pair of speakers in a second room and have independent source selection from the main room. Just remember to run analog outputs from all your sources in addition to the digital outs to the receiver so the sources will be output in Zone 2. Which I guess brings us back to the start of this thread, doesn't it?
QUOTE]