DIGILOGIC SOUND DROPOUTS

Old December 28th 05, 04:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default DIGILOGIC SOUND DROPOUTS

I bought one of the Tesco Digilogic boxes as a Xmas present for an
elderly acquaintance. Excellent reception in what appears to be a
marginal area (NR34 9**) with her grouped aerial but sound dropouts
(about 1 second). I have read all I can find about these dropouts from
Google (including Google Groups) without finding a definite answer to
the question whether it is the hardware or the firmware. Anyone know
please?

(I know I could try trial and error by swapping it first for another
Digilogic and then, if that also has the dropouts, trading up to, for
example, the Daewoo. But as she lives 120 miles from me that's not
practicable.)

--
Robin

reply-to address is munged: delete the 2 obvious and invalid bits

Old December 28th 05, 06:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Robin wrote:
I bought one of the Tesco Digilogic boxes as a Xmas present for an
elderly acquaintance. Excellent reception in what appears to be a
marginal area (NR34 9**) with her grouped aerial but sound dropouts
(about 1 second). I have read all I can find about these dropouts
from Google (including Google Groups) without finding a definite
answer to the question whether it is the hardware or the firmware.
Anyone know please?

Why have you ruled out the rather obvious possibility that it might be
the signal? If this is indeed marginal, then impulse interference
becomes more likely and could be the cause. Even with no explicit source
of interference, the error rate may be such that sound dropouts will
occur anyway (there will probably be visual effects too, but these may
have gone unnoticed).

Old December 28th 05, 06:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Why have you ruled out the rather obvious possibility that it might be
the signal? snipped

Thanks. I cannot prove it is not. But I abbreviated the "story so far"
and in doing so omitted a bit relevant to that. I have also tried the
Digilogic in London. I get the same dropouts here on what I suspect is
a much stronger signal (9 miles from Crystal Palace with a Group A
antenna).

In neither location were there any visual effects.

Robin

Old December 28th 05, 08:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

"Robin" wrote in
. uk:

Why have you ruled out the rather obvious possibility that it might be
the signal? snipped

Thanks. I cannot prove it is not. But I abbreviated the "story so far"
and in doing so omitted a bit relevant to that. I have also tried the
Digilogic in London. I get the same dropouts here on what I suspect is
a much stronger signal (9 miles from Crystal Palace with a Group A
antenna).

I've got a Goodmans box which I believe suffers from impulsive
interference, and sound dropouts of 1/2 - 1sec duration are the usual
symptom.

If you check for this on google you will find quite a lot, and DTT appears
to be vulnerable to it.

I would have thought 9 miles from CP unless you're in a big hole, a bit of
damp string would do as an aerial.

I regret Idon't know which boxes are less vulnerable - if I did I'd have
bought one

mike
Old December 29th 05, 05:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

"Robin" wrote in message
. uk...
I bought one of the Tesco Digilogic boxes as a Xmas present for an elderly
acquaintance. Excellent reception in what appears to be a marginal area
(NR34 9**) with her grouped aerial but sound dropouts (about 1 second). I
have read all I can find about these dropouts from Google (including Google
Groups) without finding a definite answer to the question whether it is the
hardware or the firmware. Anyone know please?

(I know I could try trial and error by swapping it first for another
Digilogic and then, if that also has the dropouts, trading up to, for
example, the Daewoo. But as she lives 120 miles from me that's not
practicable.)

--
Robin

reply-to address is munged: delete the 2 obvious and invalid bits

Why do so many people ask the same question! There must be a lot of people
with no understanding of what a TV aerial is for. Just because it's
"digital" it doesn't mean it is "magical" !
You need to ensure that the aeril/coax is up to the job and if not replace
it. Simple as that. It's not the box at fault. Sound drop out is caused
when the signal is becoming marginal, maybe around 23%. It will probably go
completely off in bad weather.

Old December 29th 05, 09:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

"Robin" wrote in message
. uk...
Why have you ruled out the rather obvious possibility that it might be
the signal? snipped

Thanks. I cannot prove it is not. But I abbreviated the "story so far"
and in doing so omitted a bit relevant to that. I have also tried the
Digilogic in London. I get the same dropouts here on what I suspect is a
much stronger signal (9 miles from Crystal Palace with a Group A antenna).

In neither location were there any visual effects.

Does it occur more-or-less during the break between programmes or randomly
during the course of a programme?

(kim)

Old December 29th 05, 01:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Does it occur more-or-less during the break between programmes or
randomly during the course of a programme?

I would say tell they occur randomly.

Robin

Old December 29th 05, 05:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Why do so many people ask the same question!

I am sorry if I was misled by the previous questions which suggested
this particular box
was especially prone to sound dropouts.

There must be a lot of people with no understanding of what a TV aerial
is for. Just because it's "digital" it doesn't mean it is "magical" !
You need to ensure that the aerial/coax is up to the job and if not
replace it. Simple as that. It's not the box at fault. Sound drop
out is caused when the signal is becoming marginal, maybe around 23%.

I don't rate my understanding of aerials very highly. (I was set on
optical astronomy until the grants ran out and, even 30-odd years ago, I
could leave the electronics to others.) I
mentioned that they were grouped aerials only because I expected them to
give a better signal on most frequencies than a wideband in the relevant
locations.

In addition I felt that simple signal strength (or S/N ratio) was an
unlikely cause given the way that:

a. the problem occurred more or less equally in London and Beccles
whereas Wolfbane led me to expect the signal strengths to be very
different (84 and 51dBV/m respectively).
b. there were no disruptions to the image

It will probably go completely off in bad weather.

I like this as a test, thanks. I'll look(listen) to see what happens If
the snow turns up tomorrow as forecast

Robin

Old December 29th 05, 10:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

"Robin" wrote in
. uk:

Does it occur more-or-less during the break between programmes or
randomly during the course of a programme?

I would say tell they occur randomly.

Robin

These are Goodmans/Vestel GDB3 based boxes. Version 4.x of the software
mutes the sound when it gets an error. A passing scooter causes our box to
do this. These boxes can be reflashed as per all the other Goodmans GDB3
boxes. I have re-flashed to v4.1 which gets rid of the channel changing
delay bug. IICR you need to reflash to 3.x to get rid of the sound muting.

Hopefully they will sort out the software sometime.

Incidentally the Currys "Techwood" boxes seem to have the same internals as
I have also flashed this box to v4.1.

Peter
Old December 30th 05, 12:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

"Robin" wrote in message
. uk...
Does it occur more-or-less during the break between programmes or
randomly during the course of a programme?

I would say tell they occur randomly.

If it's random I would say it is caused by impulse interference (central
heating pump, fridge motor, etc). You say it occurs even with a relatively
strong signal where you live. In that case boosting the signal further seems
unlikely to offer any inprovement. Have you tried fitting a mains surge
supressor?

(kim)