Plasma picture problem

Old June 28th 06, 10:19 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Default Plasma picture problem

I just got a Panasonic 42" plasma. I am on satellite dish and am
subscribed to HDTV.
I am using HDMI-DVI connection plus RCA jacks for sound... straight to the
TV from the STB. (no Home Theatre Receiver)
The picture is GREAT except for sports events where the telephoto shots of
fast moving players is blocky.
Is this normal or is there something in the setup to check?

Old June 29th 06, 12:06 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv

WHY?????

Old June 29th 06, 12:44 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv

FOLLOW UP....
I am in Canada... my STB has a 0000 setting (native mode) as well as 1080i
and 720p I have it on 0000 which is recommended in the user manual. This is
a Motorola DSR500.

Old June 29th 06, 12:59 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv

I agree. Why??? The blockiness is due to the compress signal.
Switching to 720p may only help with the 720p channels (ABC, ESPN, Fox)
and only then to a limited extent. The problem is likely with the
compression put on by the satellite system.

Alan F

sea wrote:
WHY?????

Old June 29th 06, 01:07 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Which satellite system: DirecTV, Dish, Bell ExpressVu?

If this only shows up on sport events - which networks? - the odds are
that the problem lies in the signal source. The satellite providers will
over-compress the signals to squeeze more channels into the bandwidth
which can result in blockiness for fast movement. look up "HD-Lite". Or
it could be from the network signal source. The networks are getting
better with sporting events, but there are still games from some venues
or events where there may be a bandwidth limit or older equipment which
results in a poorer HD picture. Chalk this up to the signal source, not
your setup if it looks good otherwise.

Alan F

Old June 29th 06, 02:33 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv

When I first set up my Plasma tv, fast action images were blurring slightly.
My Cable STB was set for 1080i (my previous tv), so I changed it to 720P.
No problems since then.

"sea" wrote in message
WHY?????