Which type of TV has the least reflective screen ?

Old September 1st 06, 03:12 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
David Lemper

Default Which type of TV has the least reflective screen ?

I'm about to buy an HDTV, possibly Sony SXRD rear projection or LCD.
My family room has windows along the side. I can see these clearly on
the glass screen of my current CRT set. When the sun's up it wipes
out some of the picture, even with curtains.
What would be the best type of HDTV under these circumstances ?
Thanks. David Lemper
Old September 1st 06, 03:18 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
DP

"David Lemper" wrote in message
I'm about to buy an HDTV, possibly Sony SXRD rear projection or LCD.
My family room has windows along the side. I can see these clearly on
the glass screen of my current CRT set. When the sun's up it wipes
out some of the picture, even with curtains.
What would be the best type of HDTV under these circumstances ?
Thanks. David Lemper

Sony has a no-glare model, wish I'd got it.

Old September 1st 06, 04:04 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
C and A Bredt

"DP" wrote in message
m...

"David Lemper" wrote in message
I'm about to buy an HDTV, possibly Sony SXRD rear projection or LCD.
My family room has windows along the side. I can see these clearly on
the glass screen of my current CRT set. When the sun's up it wipes
out some of the picture, even with curtains.
What would be the best type of HDTV under these circumstances ?
Thanks. David Lemper

Sony has a no-glare model, wish I'd got it.

Do you know what model that is?

--
C and A Bredt

Old September 1st 06, 04:04 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
FDR

I have the SXRD. In most situations it's been good in a room we have with
many windows. But sometimes you still need a shade behind you to keep it
from washing out the picture.

I'd say an LCD is very similar with respect to glare.

Old September 1st 06, 05:01 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Tam/WB2TT

"David Lemper" wrote in message
I'm about to buy an HDTV, possibly Sony SXRD rear projection or LCD.
My family room has windows along the side. I can see these clearly on
the glass screen of my current CRT set. When the sun's up it wipes
out some of the picture, even with curtains.
What would be the best type of HDTV under these circumstances ?
Thanks. David Lemper

I watch an LCD flat panel set in a normally lit room with no reflections, no
washout. Generally, with projection sets, the bigger the picture the dimmer.

Tam

Old September 1st 06, 03:26 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Bib

I have had a Sharp AQUOS LC-37D90U LCD 37" since June. Entire front of
house is glass and house itself is aimed for max solar gain being passive
solar heating. We have no curtains at all on front of house. The Sharp
sits against the one section of wall in the front that we have which is
42" wide. Zero glare. This model also can be set to automatically adjust
itself depending on amount of ambient light in room. Works like a charm.
When we bought it at Sharp dealer, he opened the curtains in the display
room where this TV was and others. This was only one that didn't glare
and/or wash out.
--
Big Island Bob
Old September 1st 06, 03:54 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Tim Killian

Bib wrote:
I have had a Sharp AQUOS LC-37D90U LCD 37" since June. Entire front of
house is glass and house itself is aimed for max solar gain being passive
solar heating. We have no curtains at all on front of house. The Sharp
sits against the one section of wall in the front that we have which is
42" wide. Zero glare. This model also can be set to automatically adjust
itself depending on amount of ambient light in room. Works like a charm.
When we bought it at Sharp dealer, he opened the curtains in the display
room where this TV was and others. This was only one that didn't glare
and/or wash out.
--
Big Island Bob

Ditto on the Sharp Aquos LCD screen. We have a 32" directly across from
a large window and the screen coating manages to kill almost all glare
and reflections.
Old September 1st 06, 04:13 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
AlanF

David Lemper wrote:

I'm about to buy an HDTV, possibly Sony SXRD rear projection or LCD.
My family room has windows along the side. I can see these clearly on
the glass screen of my current CRT set. When the sun's up it wipes
out some of the picture, even with curtains.
What would be the best type of HDTV under these circumstances ?
Thanks. David Lemper

In general, a direct view LCD is the best choice for a brightly light
room. The screens have a high maximum brightness and the screen material
is not as reflective as glass. But the tradeoff is that the picture
quality of the large direct view LCD HDTVS still lag behind that of the
better plasmas and even that of the better RPTVs. And 50"+ direct view
LCDs are still expensive compared to the 50" plasmas or bigger RPTVs.

OTOH, how old is the CRT TV? After 10 years of normal use, the maximum
brightness of a CRT will have faded, so it may be more susceptible to be
wiped out by daylight coming in through side windows. My 2 year old
model 42" Panasonic plasma works ok for windows on the side, but does
have glare issues with windows directly behind the viewers.

Alan F
Old September 2nd 06, 06:49 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
skip

David Lemper wrote in
:

I'm about to buy an HDTV, possibly Sony SXRD rear projection or LCD.
My family room has windows along the side. I can see these clearly on
the glass screen of my current CRT set. When the sun's up it wipes
out some of the picture, even with curtains.
What would be the best type of HDTV under these circumstances ?
Thanks. David Lemper

Jvc hd ILA set has zero reflections I love it