Do LCD screens wear out?

Old January 27th 07, 03:11 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Lucid

Default Do LCD screens wear out?

I notice that my LCD TV appears to be backlit by a flourescent light
system.

Is this true ?

Strange effect too, the front of the screen gives off heat, not a lot.

Also, do they wear out eventually, either the lighting system, or the
screen ?

I don't have one, but wondering the same for plasmas.

Wondering what sort of life (hours etc) I can expect from LCD TV.

My last CRT TV lasted 55 months before dying, on for perhaps 16,000
hours, previous TV lasted 10 years, again probably around 16,000 hours,
electronic going in both cases, though in both the CRT's wear out, lose
contrast etc after a while.

Old January 27th 07, 07:51 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
gort

Lucid wrote:

I notice that my LCD TV appears to be backlit by a flourescent light
system.

Is this true ?

Strange effect too, the front of the screen gives off heat, not a lot.

Also, do they wear out eventually, either the lighting system, or the
screen ?

The lights will gradually dim over time. Apple recommend with LCD monitors,
to let the computer power down the monitor when not in use to prolong their
life. Not sure if there is anything you can do on a LCD tv to do the same.

HTH

Dave
Old January 27th 07, 08:54 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Bob

"Lucid" wrote in message
I notice that my LCD TV appears to be backlit by a flourescent light
system.

Is this true ?

Best to set the brightness of LCDs at their lowest and the contrast pretty
high ( just high enough to not wash out the whites) That way the light is
not working so hard.... and usually results in a better display.

My brightness is 0 (zero) and contrast is 73 perrcent.

Bob

Old January 27th 07, 09:14 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

"Lucid" wrote in message

I notice that my LCD TV appears to be backlit by a flourescent light
system.

Is this true ?

Yes, they use a cold cathode fluorescent tube (or two).

One day they may all use electroluminescent panels, like some watches and
cellphones.

Strange effect too, the front of the screen gives off heat, not a lot.

I don't think any light source is 100% efficient.

Also, do they wear out eventually, either the lighting system, or the
screen ?

The tubes can be replaced, but I don't know how practicable this is in a
consumer device.

I don't have one, but wondering the same for plasmas.

Wondering what sort of life (hours etc) I can expect from LCD TV.

My last CRT TV lasted 55 months before dying, on for perhaps 16,000
hours, previous TV lasted 10 years, again probably around 16,000
hours, electronic going in both cases, though in both the CRT's wear
out, lose contrast etc after a while.

CRTs have been around a long time, so the technology is advanced. Many CRT
TVs last 20 years.

--
Max Demian

Old January 27th 07, 11:26 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Wilf

Max Demian wrote:

CRTs have been around a long time, so the technology is advanced. Many CRT
TVs last 20 years.

My Mitsubishi colour CRT TV lasted 28 years from 1976 to 2004 with never
a problem. How's that for a record? The kids hated the lack of remote
control :-)

--
Wilf
Old January 27th 07, 12:41 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Hayes

Bob wrote:

"Lucid" wrote in message
I notice that my LCD TV appears to be backlit by a flourescent light
system.

Is this true ?

Best to set the brightness of LCDs at their lowest and the contrast pretty
high ( just high enough to not wash out the whites) That way the light is
not working so hard.... and usually results in a better display.

Does the brightness control actually alter the backlight? More likely it
adjusts the video sent to the display.

Peter
Old January 27th 07, 03:40 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Al Reynolds

"Peter Hayes" wrote
Does the brightness control actually alter the backlight? More likely it
adjusts the video sent to the display.

Depends on the set. My Samsung 23" HD Ready adjusts the backlight.
MIL's Samsung 17" LCD adjusts the signal.

Al

Old January 27th 07, 05:17 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
:Jerry:

"Alan Pemberton" wrote in
message
ve.co.uk.invalid...
Wilf wrote:

Max Demian wrote:

CRTs have been around a long time, so the technology is advanced.
Many CRT
TVs last 20 years.

My Mitsubishi colour CRT TV lasted 28 years from 1976 to 2004 with
never
a problem. How's that for a record? The kids hated the lack of
remote
control :-)

Thirty years ago the kids *were* the remote control.

Thirty years ago kids used to do as they were told!

Old January 27th 07, 06:14 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Alan Pemberton wrote:
Wilf wrote:

My Mitsubishi colour CRT TV lasted 28 years from 1976 to 2004 with never
a problem. How's that for a record? The kids hated the lack of remote
control :-)

Thirty years ago the kids *were* the remote control.

My grandfather used his walking stick.

--
Mark
Old January 27th 07, 06:54 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Nel

"Wilf" wrote in message
Max Demian wrote:

CRTs have been around a long time, so the technology is advanced. Many
CRT TVs last 20 years.

My Mitsubishi colour CRT TV lasted 28 years from 1976 to 2004 with never a
problem. How's that for a record? The kids hated the lack of remote
control :-)

What a ridiculous concept!!!

How ON EARTH did you possibly change channels on the infernal machine
then?!!