No Surround Sound on JVC RX-778V

Old November 19th 07, 05:29 AM posted to alt.home-theater.misc
pacmac

Default No Surround Sound on JVC RX-778V

Hi,

I own a JVC RX-778V home theater audio/video control receiver.

The unit has worked perfectly for years.

Last night, I popped in a DVD and got -- ugh, no sound.

Debugging activities took most of the afternoon today -- replaced
digital audio cable, confirmed DVD player works on analog connected
directly to the TV, etc.

Current symptoms:

o get sound out of only one speaker now in ALL modes.
o no sound whatsoever when Dolby / Prologic / Surround Sounds is on.
o get DVD audio over analog outputs only (out of one speaker only).

I'm 99% certain that menu configurations are correct.

Has anyone ever encountered such a failure?

What's more likely, digital audio out from DVD player is shot, or
surround sound in receiver is shot?

Not sure how to proceed. Again, I've read the manual word for word,
experimented with zillions of configs.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Paul
Old November 19th 07, 06:27 AM posted to alt.home-theater.misc
mykey

If you have tested the speakers and they work,
failure of Dolby chip and other components
used in JVC products is quite common.
This is a service center job but...
Rather than spending money to repair it,
invest in a better quality product.
Suggest avoiding panasonic also.
Old November 19th 07, 06:51 AM posted to alt.home-theater.misc
pacmac

Thank you for the tip.

I agree with you about Panasonic.

Would you be willing to recommend a few top brands / models -- around
or less than $300, if possible?

PM

Old November 19th 07, 09:31 PM posted to alt.home-theater.misc
mykey

On Nov 18, 9:51 pm, pacmac wrote:
Thank you for the tip.

I agree with you about Panasonic.

Would you be willing to recommend a few top brands / models -- around
or less than $300, if possible?

PM

I would search out a used HK, Denon, Yamaha, Carver.
Theres good bargains to be had without scratches.
Or I would ask a military employee to buy me one at the PX.
It's half price at the PX!
Generally it's worth spending more for better quality.
HK has a surprising performance for a lower price but I
would rather save up a little and buy a Carver.
Panasonic is on the "do not buy" list. The quality sucks.

I bought an HK preamp, 5.1 amp, super CD for $400 and
not a scratch on it, used. It worked for many years without
a hitch. Then the person I bought it from bought it back from
me, still not a scratch. That is one good inexpensive amp,
I **** you not.

Well the Carver sounds better but $900 just for the amp.
Denon is well made, makes panasonic look like a joke.
Yamaha is a good deal with good service support, but
the sound is not as good as the others mentioned.

Do a lot of shopping and test anything before
buying. Shopping around really pays off when you are
on a budget.
Old November 27th 07, 10:46 PM posted to alt.home-theater.misc
MrSanRamon

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Your JVC is a 5.1 receiver. Just replace it with another 5.1
receiver...pioneer elite, denon, H/K.

You should have no problem finding a good inexpensive
replacement...since the JVC is a good 5 or 6 years old.

Instead of looking at what to get, see if you can find something on
sale or in close-out, and research it to see if it meets your needs.

Robert