Can I still use my Tivo Series 2 After I cancel my Tivo Service?

Old February 12th 09, 06:47 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Fred Farkle

Default Can I still use my Tivo Series 2 After I cancel my Tivo Service?

Thank you.
Want to Fix Something?

http://www.manuals4you.com

http://www.justmanuals.com
Instant download after purchase
Old February 13th 09, 12:34 AM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Ron[_3_]

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 12:47:16 -0500, Fred Farkle

Yes it makes an excellent door stop, but you knew that.
Old February 13th 09, 04:19 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Character

Fred Farkle wrote:

MAYBE - if you physically disconnect the Tivo from the phone line or
internet BEFORE you cancel service, it will just keep going forever,
THINKING that it has a service contract, with the message that it's
been unable to connect and has no guide data, but would still allow
manual recording. You might even be able to transfer between Tivo's as
long as the local network has no external web access.

Don't know this for sure, but it sounds logical.
Old February 13th 09, 05:53 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Jack Ak

Character wrote:
Fred Farkle wrote:

MAYBE - if you physically disconnect the Tivo from the phone line or
internet BEFORE you cancel service, it will just keep going forever,
THINKING that it has a service contract, with the message that it's been
unable to connect and has no guide data, but would still allow manual
recording. You might even be able to transfer between Tivo's as long as
the local network has no external web access.

Don't know this for sure, but it sounds logical.

Here is another logical thought...

The DVR has to receive data at least once each
month to refresh a future shutdown date.

Don't pay for TiVo service and the monthly update ends.
Old February 13th 09, 06:10 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Charlie Hoffpauir

wrote:

Thank you.
Want to Fix Something?

http://www.manuals4you.com

http://www.justmanuals.com
Instant download after purchase

Well, my series 2 DirecTV Tivos (hacked to enable network transfers
Tivo-to-Tivo) worked fine in that mode after I cancelled the service
when I went to HD DVRs. Probably not applicable to standard Tivos, but
I mention it in case it's of any interest.

--
Charlie Hoffpauir
Old February 13th 09, 06:11 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Character

jack ak wrote:

Character wrote:

Fred Farkle wrote:

MAYBE - if you physically disconnect the Tivo from the phone line or
internet BEFORE you cancel service, it will just keep going forever,
THINKING that it has a service contract, with the message that it's
been unable to connect and has no guide data, but would still allow
manual recording. You might even be able to transfer between Tivo's as
long as the local network has no external web access.

Don't know this for sure, but it sounds logical.

Here is another logical thought...

The DVR has to receive data at least once each
month to refresh a future shutdown date.

Don't pay for TiVo service and the monthly update ends.

Hmm.. That's TOO logical Could be ...

Eventually the clock would probably get out of synch, too.

Old February 13th 09, 06:48 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
dgates

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 08:53:47 -0800, jack ak wrote:

Character wrote:
Fred Farkle wrote:

MAYBE - if you physically disconnect the Tivo from the phone line or
internet BEFORE you cancel service, it will just keep going forever,
THINKING that it has a service contract, with the message that it's been
unable to connect and has no guide data, but would still allow manual
recording. You might even be able to transfer between Tivo's as long as
the local network has no external web access.

Don't know this for sure, but it sounds logical.

Here is another logical thought...

The DVR has to receive data at least once each
month to refresh a future shutdown date.

Don't pay for TiVo service and the monthly update ends.

I remember that there used to be a way for a TiVo buyer to use the
machine without paying for the service. He would only be able to
record manually (e.g., "9:00 PM to 10:00 PM every Monday on channel
2"), but he would be able to record without the TiVo service.

I don't know if there's a way to reset a TiVo Series 2 to that state
once you have made the first phone call.

It's possible that there's someone (Weak Knees, or one of those
companies) that can convert your series 2 back to its initial state.
But at that point, I'd wonder about the price difference between
paying them to reset it (assuming that this can be done) and simply
buying another series 2.

Just out of curiosity, what happens if the TiVo can't phone in for
service (because you stop paying)? I assume that it just freezes up
and refuses to let you even program manual recordings? (or why else
would we be having this conversation, eh?)
Old February 13th 09, 09:07 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Peter H. Coffin

Character wrote:
Fred Farkle wrote:

[...]

That's called "TiVo Basic".

I don't know if there's a way to reset a TiVo Series 2 to that state
once you have made the first phone call.

There isn't. TiVo Basic is not available to standard Series 2 machines.

See the following URL for details.

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/...Vo _Plus.html

--
Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases
to be serious when people laugh.
Old February 13th 09, 09:59 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Peter Pan[_3_]

"jack ak" wrote in message
Character wrote:
Fred Farkle wrote:

MAYBE - if you physically disconnect the Tivo from the phone line or
internet BEFORE you cancel service, it will just keep going forever,
THINKING that it has a service contract, with the message that it's been
unable to connect and has no guide data, but would still allow manual
recording. You might even be able to transfer between Tivo's as long as
the local network has no external web access.

Don't know this for sure, but it sounds logical.

Here is another logical thought...

The DVR has to receive data at least once each
month to refresh a future shutdown date.

Don't pay for TiVo service and the monthly update ends.

another maybe for you, some s2's have lifetime basic service, they will
revert to that (one tivo and two toshibas all reverted to basic, guide and
manual record, but only 3 days worth of guide data, and no network
transfers).. since you didn't mention whos s2 (Tivo/Humanx/Toshiba
etc)...... can't answer

Old February 14th 09, 03:00 AM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Steve Stone[_2_]

I remember that there used to be a way for a TiVo buyer to use the
machine without paying for the service. He would only be able to
record manually (e.g., "9:00 PM to 10:00 PM every Monday on channel
2"), but he would be able to record without the TiVo service.

That's called "TiVo Basic".

No.
TIVO Basic is what you get with the old Series 2 Toshiba RS-TX20 DVD
burner units and some others for free,
3 days worth of program guide, nothing else.

Manual only recording is what you get when you let the subscription
expire on some (not all) even older Series 1 TIVO's,
Like the Sony SVR-2000.