faint horizontal lines right side of HDTV LCD screen

Old October 25th 09, 03:26 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Ron[_8_]

Default faint horizontal lines right side of HDTV LCD screen

We have a Samsung LN46B650 LCD HDTV, about 2 mos. old. Today, while viewing
a slideshow for the first time, I noticed faint, thin horizontal lines on
about the right quarter of the screen. Sorta like alternating shades from
one scanline to the next. Hardly noticeable unless the background color is
light. They are constant, not reminiscent of a 60 cycle hum interference,
and still there in an internal diagnostic slide - ie. when all signal
sources are off. So they appear to be a flaw in the set itself. Not sure
whether they've been there since day one - I only noticed them now when
viewing a static picture with a light background.. But now I know they're
there, they're driving me nuts.

I'll be calling Samsung, but wondered if anyone has a clue.

Thanks, Ron

Old October 25th 09, 02:14 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Ron[_8_]

On reflection, what I'm seeing resemble scan lines. I can see them all the
way across the screen when very close. But they're more pronounced on the
right side, noticeable from six feet away or more when the color is light
and static. I thought you don't see scan lines for a 1080p LCD spec? There
doesn't seem to be a way to lower the upscaling function to check whether I
can exaggerate the effect.

Would appreciate comments from LCD HDTV experts as to whether this may be a
malfunction and if so what causes it and can it be repaired. Reminder: I
see it on the firmware's diagnostic image, so it's not due to quality of
source signals.

Thanks.

Old October 25th 09, 10:33 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Designmunki

On Oct 25, 6:14*am, "Ron" wrote:
On reflection, what I'm seeing resemble scan lines. *I can see them all the
way across the screen when very close. *But they're more pronounced on the
right side, noticeable from six feet away or more when the color is light
and static. *I thought you don't see scan lines for a 1080p LCD spec? *There
doesn't seem to be a way to lower the upscaling function to check whether I
can exaggerate the effect.

Would appreciate comments from LCD HDTV experts as to whether this may be a
malfunction and if so what causes it and can it be repaired. *Reminder: I
see it on the firmware's diagnostic image, so it's not due to quality of
source signals.

Thanks.

Hi Ron,

I'm also having the same issues that you described with the thin
horizontal lines on all sources. It seems more promenent on the right
side than the left, but it does look like it affects the whole lcd
panel when you look at it closely. I purchased my LN46B650 back in May
2009. Is your version SS02...I'm curious.. since that is what I have.

I think it might be a defective lcd panel from what I've read on the
AVS Forum. I even went to Best Buy to take a look at their demo model
to compare, and there wasn't any horizontal lines on it at all with
all the possible interferences in there.

Old October 26th 09, 01:04 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Ron[_8_]

Thanks for the response and especially for confirming I'm not alone with
this! Will look for the AVS forum. Not sure what you mean by version
SS02... My full model number is LN46B650T1FXZA and the serial number
begins with AUHR... and it does have ...S202... embedded in it (not SS02).
We got it through Amazon about 2 months ago.

It looks like Samsung reps have a presence on the Samsung CNET forum, so I
hope anyone with this problem will join me in making it known the

http://forums.cnet.com/5204-13973_10...ml?forumID=146

BTW, there's an October firmware upgrade for this (and other) models on the
Samsung site. It did not fix this issue for me (as expected if it's a
faulty LCD panel).

Thanks, -Ron

Old October 26th 09, 01:42 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Ron[_8_]

Ah. I was reading from my Samsung registration acknowledgement. Just looked
on TV itself, and yes, it says version SS02. Just started poking around
that AVS forum. Looks like the issue is that there are several sources of
LCD panels, depending on version? I just hope Samsung will honor the
warranty for this issue.