Sony Bravia KDL-32W5500U: Ignores HDMI 1

Old June 5th 10, 05:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Maurice Batey[_2_]

Default Sony Bravia KDL-32W5500U: Ignores HDMI 1

If I switch on my old VCR on AV1, the TV automatically switches to
that input.

But if instead I switch on the Humax Foxsat PVR (on HDMI 1), it just
ignores it, and I have to manually select HDMI 1.

I can find nothing in the user manual.

Anyone know how it can be adjusted to auto-switch when HDMI 1is
activated?
--
/\/\aurice

Old June 5th 10, 06:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Maurice Batey wrote:
If I switch on my old VCR on AV1, the TV automatically switches to
that input.

But if instead I switch on the Humax Foxsat PVR (on HDMI 1), it just
ignores it, and I have to manually select HDMI 1.

I can find nothing in the user manual.

Anyone know how it can be adjusted to auto-switch when HDMI 1is
activated?

I've got the 40 inch version of that TV, and the Humax Foxsat PVR.

Same for me.

Hit 'Home' then scroll far left and down for 'Set Up', then 'HDMI Set Up'

There's a range of options there that should enable HDMI control features, but
my TV fails to see the Humax as a valid HDMI device, it also fails to see a
Sony PS3 as one too, so something is very wrong I suspect !

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk
Old June 5th 10, 06:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Maurice Batey[_2_]

On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 17:01:33 +0100, Mark Carver wrote:

There's a range of options there that should enable HDMI control features, but
my TV fails to see the Humax as a valid HDMI device

I read about those in the manual, but they seemed to relate to other
Sony devices. Will re-visit...

Thanks for the pointer, Mark.

--
/\/\aurice

Old June 5th 10, 07:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Maurice Batey[_2_]

On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 17:48:06 +0100, Maurice Batey wrote:

Will re-visit...

Looked in there. ALl options are 'on'.
I notice that under 'devices' it says "No devices found", presumably
meaning "No Sony devices". Still no auto-detect of HDMI1.

This really is a nuisance. Why does it do the right thing with AV1
but not HDMI1, one wonders.

I do have a firmware update loaded onto a USB stick (which would
update from 1.600EA to 1.730EA), so perhaps I might apply that to see
if things improve.
Anyone already applied that update yet?!

--
/\/\aurice

Old June 5th 10, 07:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Maurice Batey[_2_]

On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 16:45:55 +0100, Maurice Batey wrote:

if instead I switch on the Humax Foxsat PVR (on HDMI 1), it just
ignores it, and I have to manually select HDMI 1.

This problem is discussed e.g in:

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/a...-video-dvd-cd-
plasma-lcd-etc/162390-sony-bravia-humax-foxsat-hdmi-auto-detect-know-
how-make-work.html

The conclusion appears to be: "you're stuck with it...". :-((
--
/\/\aurice

Old June 5th 10, 08:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Maurice Batey wrote:
On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 17:48:06 +0100, Maurice Batey wrote:

Will re-visit...

Looked in there. ALl options are 'on'.
I notice that under 'devices' it says "No devices found", presumably
meaning "No Sony devices".

No, as I say it also fails to detect a PS3.

This really is a nuisance. Why does it do the right thing with AV1
but not HDMI1, one wonders.

Scart assertion uses good honest DC volts, HDMI uses digital coding nonsense !

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk
Old June 5th 10, 08:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JohnT[_6_]

"Maurice Batey" wrote in message
news
If I switch on my old VCR on AV1, the TV automatically switches to
that input.

But if instead I switch on the Humax Foxsat PVR (on HDMI 1), it just
ignores it, and I have to manually select HDMI 1.

I can find nothing in the user manual.

Anyone know how it can be adjusted to auto-switch when HDMI 1is
activated?
--

It won't autoswitch unless you have an HDMI connection to a limited range of
compatible Sony equipment, not including the PS3. Your TV should, however,

--
JohnT

Old June 5th 10, 11:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Maurice Batey[_2_]

On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 19:56:03 +0100, JohnT wrote:

Your TV should, however,
remember the last input selected when you restart it from standby.

Yes, I have just discovered that, and I think that is going to be a
usable solution, as I shall be doing all TV viewing via the Humax.

So just on the odd occasion when I use a different input will I need
to manually make the switch to HDMI1.

Thanks to all for your input; much appreciated...

--
/\/\aurice

Old June 6th 10, 09:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
The dog from that film you saw

"Maurice Batey" wrote in message
news
If I switch on my old VCR on AV1, the TV automatically switches to
that input.

But if instead I switch on the Humax Foxsat PVR (on HDMI 1), it just
ignores it, and I have to manually select HDMI 1.

I can find nothing in the user manual.

Anyone know how it can be adjusted to auto-switch when HDMI 1is
activated?

pretty sure that HDMI doesn't support auto switching - stupid but there you
go.

--
Gareth.

that fly...... is your magic wand....
http://dsbdsb.mybrute.com
you fight better when you have a bear!

Old June 6th 10, 10:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Hmm, things sure are getting complicated these days. Maybe the way the
hardware in the TV is designed, it does not actually monitor the input for
data unless you are actually switched to it, thus making it impossible for
any software update to fix the issue.

Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
Blind user, so no pictures please!