Samsung and AT&T U-Verse HDMI error?

Old December 10th 10, 04:53 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair
Keith[_8_]

Default Samsung and AT&T U-Verse HDMI error?

All:
I just got off the phone with an AT&T U-Verse customer support person. I told her that an error
message was displayed on my TV in my back bedroom. It stated that it could not show the HDMI image
-- either U-Verse error H1005 or H1006. Even though the TV image showed fine underneath this
message.
She told me to get some component cables. What are they and does that mean that I cannot get
HDMI? BTW, I have a Samsung UN46B6000 in my back bedroom and a Samsung UN32B6000 in my
den. No such errors in the front den.

Keith Lee
Old December 10th 10, 08:34 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair
Sofa Slug

On 12/10/2010 8:53 AM, Keith wrote:
All:
I just got off the phone with an AT&T U-Verse customer support person. I told her that an error
message was displayed on my TV in my back bedroom. It stated that it could not show the HDMI image
-- either U-Verse error H1005 or H1006. Even though the TV image showed fine underneath this
message.
She told me to get some component cables. What are they and does that mean that I cannot get
HDMI? BTW, I have a Samsung UN46B6000 in my back bedroom and a Samsung UN32B6000 in my
den. No such errors in the front den.

Keith Lee

Although AT&T SHOULD be able to provide you with a problem free HDMI
connection, this may actually end up being a non-issue. Both HDMI and
Component inputs (not composite - that connection is for SD only) will
provide you with an HD picture. Component connections use 3 RCA cables,
color coded red-green-blue, and/or labeled Y-Pb-Pr.

HDMI is technically capable of a better picture than Component, but
because U-Verse (& other cable providers) typically deliver a compressed
picture, the source material may not be of high enough quality to where
HDMI will make a difference over Component. You may actually get a
higher quality picture via the Component connections, since the
Motorola/Cisco boxes apparently have a black level problem with HDMI.
Old December 10th 10, 08:41 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair

Keith wrote:
All:
I just got off the phone with an AT&T U-Verse customer support person.
I told her that an error message was displayed on my TV in my back
bedroom. It stated that it could not show the HDMI image -- either
U-Verse error H1005 or H1006. Even though the TV image showed fine
underneath this message.
She told me to get some component cables. What are they and does that
mean that I cannot get HDMI? BTW, I have a Samsung UN46B6000 in my back
bedroom and a Samsung UN32B6000 in my den. No such errors in the front
den.

Keith Lee

It sounds like a handshake issue. That's when you are using
an hdmi cable and the tv has trouble connecting to the device
on the other end. I'll bet that's why the csr suggested using
component cables. Those carry video in hd, but not the audio.
You would need to use an audio cable with the component cables.
Do a search on your tv model and the uverse box. You may find
an easy solution for the problem.
Chip

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
Old December 10th 10, 09:24 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair
RickMerrill[_4_]

Keith wrote:
All:
I just got off the phone with an AT&T U-Verse customer support person. I told her that an error
message was displayed on my TV in my back bedroom. It stated that it could not show the HDMI image
-- either U-Verse error H1005 or H1006. Even though the TV image showed fine underneath this
message.
She told me to get some component cables. What are they and does that mean that I cannot get
HDMI? BTW, I have a Samsung UN46B6000 in my back bedroom and a Samsung UN32B6000 in my
den. No such errors in the front den.

Keith Lee

HDMI cable carries a protocol between the two ends asserting that they are allowed to
talk to each other. It is conceivable that your tv or the cable box is unwilling
to show it! This may explain the advice from the support person.

As others have said,
Component cables have no such fol-de-ra and will transmit anything.

HDMI carries audio. Using Component cables you have to add audio, I think.

Old December 10th 10, 09:29 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt

In article ,
Sofa Slug wrote:

Although AT&T SHOULD be able to provide you with a problem free HDMI
connection, this may actually end up being a non-issue. Both HDMI and
Component inputs (not composite - that connection is for SD only) will
provide you with an HD picture. Component connections use 3 RCA cables,
color coded red-green-blue, and/or labeled Y-Pb-Pr.

HDMI is technically capable of a better picture than Component, but
because U-Verse (& other cable providers) typically deliver a compressed
picture, the source material may not be of high enough quality to where
HDMI will make a difference over Component. You may actually get a
higher quality picture via the Component connections, since the
Motorola/Cisco boxes apparently have a black level problem with HDMI.

Three thoughts he

(1) It's not all that uncommon for some HDCP source devices (e.g.
cable boxes) to have difficulty negotiating properly with some
HDCP sink devices (e.g. TV sets) - a particular combination of
source and sink can fail to work, even though the same source box
works with different sink devices just fine (and vice versa).

Try exchanging the cable boxes (or TVs) between den and living
room, at least temporarily. See whether the problem goes away
entirely, or moves with one device or the other. If a U-Verse
box fails to work with more than one TV model, then you should
ask/insist that AT&T replace it.

(2) Switching to component video may result in a loss of some HD
programming. There are an increasing number of programs being
sent over cable and satellite which have DRM restrictions flagged
in them, which mean "No unprotected high-definition output of this
program is permitted". A program which can be shown in high-def
on a properly-secured HDCP device may be barred from display over
component video... or, the set-top box may display it after
down-sampling it to standard definition.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old December 10th 10, 10:02 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair
LightByrd

"RickMerrill" wrote in message
Keith wrote:
[...]

yup!

--
Regards,
Richard Harison

Old December 11th 10, 12:17 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair
RickMerrill[_4_]

LightByrd wrote:
wrote in message
Keith wrote:
[...]

It is conceivable :-) that HDMI could deliver audio but you would still have to use
Component for the video. If the HDMI negotiation is rejected, do you get audio or nada?

Old December 11th 10, 02:34 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair
Keith[_8_]

Rick:
I usually get both but sometimes I also get the error message as well. I guess I will have to try different
HDMI cables to see it that is it. Any HDMI cables you would recommend? Thank you.

Keith Lee
Old December 11th 10, 03:29 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair

Keith wrote:
Rick:
I usually get both but sometimes I also get the error message as well.
I guess I will have to try different HDMI cables to see it that is it.
Any HDMI cables you would recommend? Thank you.

Keith Lee

I doubt it's the cable. Have you done a search with your
television model number and the box that it is connected to?

Old December 11th 10, 03:50 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair
David[_9_]

wrote in message ...

Keith wrote:
Rick:
I usually get both but sometimes I also get the error message
as well.
I guess I will have to try different HDMI cables to see it that
is it.
Any HDMI cables you would recommend? Thank you.

Keith Lee

When this happened to me once, I just reset the Uverse receiver
and all was well. Unplug it for 10 seconds, or press and hold the
power button for 5 seconds or so.

David